•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A dead easy Andromeda Galaxy (M31)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Viking 1

• Loc: Seneca, South Carolina

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:52 AM

I agree, Elf. The only one you should worry about pleasing is you. If others "like it" great, but at the end of the day, the only person looking at the pictures on the wall with a critical eye is you. I feel like I'm getting decent at processing using just Siril and GIMP, but I am barely scratching the surface of actually getting the data myself. Something I need to focus on. I don't know that the "less is more" approach in processing is any better or any more valid than any other approach. It just seems to be what I like the best. The fact that you share your data for others to process (practice on) is what I appreciate. I like seeing other's interpretations using different techniques and software.

A world class guitarist was once asked what other guitarists he listened when he was learning to play. He said he listened to everybody. Guitarists he liked, and guitarists he didn't necessarily like. His reasoning was that he learned what to play as well as what not to play. That applies here as well, I think.

Besides, the world would be a pretty boring place if everyone saw things the same way. Clear skies!

• the Elf likes this

#27 hobbyknipser

hobbyknipser

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Germany Orange Zone

Posted 16 October 2021 - 11:20 AM

Hi, Elf,

is this really made with a small 65mm APO at f/6.5? For using this equipment, it is great! waytogo.gifapplause.gif

I have an 80mm f/6 APO; so this instrument is more than enough to reach (theoretically, at a similar sky) your result. I will use it more often, instead of my Newtonian...smile.gif

greetings

Andreas

Edited by hobbyknipser, 16 October 2021 - 11:22 AM.

#28 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 16 October 2021 - 05:13 PM

Yep, this is made using the TS Optics 65/420 Imaging Star, alas discontinued. It is a clone of the AT65EDQ which some people hate and others love. It is quite a small instrument and look ridiculous on the big mount. Size actually does not matter this time because the large object does neither need a fast scope because it is bright nor does it require a lot of resolution. It needs a 3° field of view and this is exactly what the tiny scope offers on an APS-C sized sensor.

I've taken a bunch of nice images with this small scope.

• hobbyknipser likes this

#29 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Viking 1

• Loc: Seneca, South Carolina

Posted 16 October 2021 - 06:14 PM

By the way, Elf. I also like disco versions of some objects. This is your M42, and I think your data and this target look good all pimped out. cool.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• OrionNebula_27x2min Siril GIMP PSP edit.jpg

• the Elf and Mike in Rancho like this

#30 TheBrochan

TheBrochan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:54 PM

Wow excellent job on this target!

For the sake of practice I tried my hand at processing the image/data you posted.

51597599236_76415de0b6_b.jpg

Edited by TheBrochan, 16 October 2021 - 09:55 PM.

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#31 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted Yesterday, 12:29 AM

Here is a link to the stack if anyone wants to play with it. File size is 291MB.

http://elf-of-lothlo...20x3min_OSC.tif

This is just a quick photoshop run about 20 min or so.  Haven't perfected the star removal yet, but I could easily get lost in the data set.
Very very nice..  Seriously, about the best I have ever worked on from an astro perspective.  Good work..
With that.. Here ya are.. :)

M31_120x3min_OSCsm.jpg

Here is a sorta inspector shot that shows most of the blotching gone. 

2021-10-16_222220.jpg

Clear Skies !!

• the Elf likes this

#32 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted Yesterday, 05:00 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words. That small refractor was my best buy ever. And it was only Eur 700! It's a shame it is discontinued.

Thank you for taking the time working on my data. I like the less colored warm version a lot. I could not say I like the colored one version better than the other. They are all nice. Tim's processing of my M42 is a bit too pimped in my eyes but it is a good processing. I have seen far more saturated versions of this object. Well, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. ;-) Thanks for taking the time, Tim.

• Tim J Fowler likes this

#33 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted Yesterday, 01:40 PM

By the way, Elf. I also like disco versions of some objects. This is your M42, and I think your data and this target look good all pimped out. cool.gif

Thus proving your and Elf's theory that we all see things differently (or drink different beers).  Other than that you took the one blue star supernova, I find the disco-pimp nebula here to be rather muted and serene.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics