•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Messier 3

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 astrovienna

astrovienna

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:29 PM

The first glob I've done in quite a while.  This is only about ten hours of data, a lot less than the 20+ I've been doing on most targets lately:

https://pbase.com/sk...image/172037904

I've also got M10 in the processing queue, and the color difference between the two is pretty striking.  The other interesting thing about M3 is that it's currently way out in deep space, 32,000 light years above the galactic plane.  Never thought about that, but I understand it now that I think of where it is in the sky.  Neat stuff.

Full details on capture and processing are below the image at the link.

Kevin

• Jim Thommes, rwstanley, mikewayne3 and 12 others like this

#2 Sincos

Sincos

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 100ft from the Atlantic Ocean in Newfoundland

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:59 PM

Thank you astrovienna , excellent presentation.  The first object ever seen in a telescope and your capture has the same visual impact . Kudos 

#3 ram812

ram812

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:11 PM

Excellent picture!๐Ÿ‘ You truly captured the fine detail of this beautiful globular cluster. And if one searches the background real close, there are several less often seen galaxies out yonder! Nice processing๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘!

CS, Thanks for sharing the effort

Ralph

#4 jpflood

jpflood

Sputnik

• Loc: Warren, Central Massachusetts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 07:27 PM

Wonderful, but correct "11.4 billion light years old" to 11.4 billion years old.

#5 astrovienna

astrovienna

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2021 - 09:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the comments and the likes.

Wonderful, but correct "11.4 billion light years old" to 11.4 billion years old.

Thanks for the catch!  Corrected. 

Excellent picture! You truly captured the fine detail of this beautiful globular cluster. And if one searches the background real close, there are several less often seen galaxies out yonder! Nice processing!

CS, Thanks for sharing the effort

Ralph

Poking around I see background galaxies listed in NED with redshifts indicating ranges from 700 million to 1.4 billion light years.  And there are a bunch of fainter ones with no redshifts at all.

• ram812 likes this

#6 stargzr66207

stargzr66207

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:36 AM

You have really achieved fantastic resolution in this image! The Star colors are excellent as well. Great capture and processing. The 694 is a GREAT camera!!
Ron Abbott

#7 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:06 PM

Nice one Kevin.

#8 astrovienna

astrovienna

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:21 PM

Thanks Ron and Jim.  Yeah, I've been really pleased with the performance of the 694 chip.  Been using it since 2012.  But hopefully I'll be moving to an IMX455 chip in the next few months, as soon as the scope for it is built.  A huge increase in FOV, and CMOS chips seems to have finally caught up to CCDs, and surpassed them in some ways.

Kevin

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics