•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO Warranty Issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Wade Van Arsdale

Wade Van Arsdale

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2021 - 06:37 PM

ZWO: BUYER BEWARE!!  Posting this here so that others won't get caught in the pitfall that I did with ZWO and their (in my opinion) lousy warranty service.

For those who want the condensed version of the story, I can sum it up like this:  NEVER buy any ZWO products directly from ZWO.  Always go through a reputable vendor with a known customer service ethic.  I've unfortunately learned that lesson the hard way now.

I will be going a step further than this myself.  ZWO has just made their last dime off me.

This was posted in another thread over in the Planetary Imaging forum so I won't rehash it here.  You can see it there if you want to look at the pics and see others who have posted about having this same QA problem over there on that thread.  (Thread title is: "ADC Prisms Bonded In Wrong").

Just be aware (as most of you will already know) that you are in a much better position with your consumer rights with ZWO if you also have a premium vendor in your corner for a warranty return on one of their products.  I ordered directly from ZWO due to a back-order situation in the U.S. and that was a big mistake as it turns out.

It's not that they screwed up on their product that is the important point because that can happen to any company. The real problem here is that they are completely shirking their responsibilities to the consumer to honor their product warranty, at least in my case.  They should just own up that they blew it on this one instead of playing the "C.Y.A." game with me.

And ZWO, if you'd like to step up and honor your warranty on this like you should have done in the first place, I will be glad to post an update right here on CN to set the record straight so your potential customers will know that you did the right thing and stood behind your product warranty.

I apologize to CN users for the rant and that I cannot post something more positive here today.....life is too short to be worried with this kind of crap......but I just felt that this case in my opinion was such a blatant lack of "doing the right thing" for a long-time ZWO customer that astronomy consumers out there should be alerted to it so you can consider your options with ZWO product purchases in the future.

Wade

#2 Wade Van Arsdale

Wade Van Arsdale

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:10 PM

Posting back here to update this:  ZWO has kindly agreed to replace the defective ADC unit under warranty at no charge.

I'm glad they finally understood the problem with the prism mountings after weeks of explaining to them what the problem was:  cannot reach nulled starting index point with slider knobs together no matter how the ADC unit is rotated on the scope or where the index knob is set, and that the unit would never be usable unless the stalk holes were re-tapped in different positions to bring the prisms back congruent and "equal but 180 degrees rotationally opposite" each other in the stack to properly null out the starting light cone.

I appreciate ZWO's attention to this and also appreciate that they are standing behind their product and its warranty.

Wade

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics