•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tak FS60 CB/Q- Which diagonal and eye pieces?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 icesheet

icesheet

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2021 - 08:39 PM

I'm looking for some advice on accessories to pair with a Tak FS60 CB/Q. I will primarily use this for both terrestrial and astronomical observing.

Currently I have a SkyWatcher 2" 90deg dielectric diagonal, a Baader 1.25" 45deg amici erecting prisml, a 2" 28mm eyepiece (unknown manufacturer), a TeleVue Panoptic 15mm and a Celestron Ultima 7.5mm (both 1.25"). I have briefly tested the the scope during the day with the Baader diagonal using both the TV and Ultima eyepieces. I am unable to focus to infinity both in native CB and Q configurations due to not having enough inward travel.

I'm not sure I want to use 2" accessories with it so can anyone recommend a good diagonal to pair to with the scope and current eyepieces? The Tak 1.25" prism diagonal seems a safe bet but would I be better to go for something like Baader T-2 / 90° Baader Roof-Prism with BBHS? I've read a bit but I'm a bit confused on what to go for here. Additionally, I would  potentially like to use binoviewers with this set up in the future too. How can I be sure any of these would work with that?

Following on from that I'm keen to add some more eye pieces too. What do you think would pair well with the Panoptic and Ultima. I would like something that I could use to push the scope to it's max on planets and something for widefield sweeps. Is it worth getting a zoom?

Please give me your suggestions, even better if you have experience with the scope!

Cheers

Chris

#2 mtminnesota

mtminnesota

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Fe

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:46 AM

I did a fair amount of research here before settling on the accessories I have for it.  I use a Tak prism, TV Plossl 32 mainly as a finder, TV Nagler Type 6 13mm, TV 3-6 zoom, and Nikon 1.6x barlow.  I bias my observing toward solar system objects, but the 13T6 gives me a taste of wide field viewing as well.  I find the range of magnifications ideal for me: 11, 18, 27, 44, 59, 60-120 and 95-190.  I also have the Tak weighted extended dew shield, a must to balance the scope even with the small 1.25" accessories I have.  I use a Tak clamshell, so I can't slide the scope way forward to balance it.  My mount doesn't like out of balance scopes so I can't use 2" accessories, never mind a binoviewer.  All this stuff (except the weighted dew shield) fits in a tiny little case, another thing I like about using 1.25" accessories with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• small.jpg

Edited by mtminnesota, 14 October 2021 - 07:51 PM.

• rerun and icesheet like this

#3 desertlens

desertlens

Nullius In Verba

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 14 October 2021 - 03:10 AM

Here's the setup I'm using with the CB:

FS60dsv.jpg

The Takahashi visual back was converted to T-thread with this ring:

https://agenaastro.c...12-2458199.html

The Tak collet design doesn't play well with eyepiece/diagonal safety cuts so I wanted to use a 1.25" Baader click lock in this position. This part:

https://agenaastro.c...hread-t208.html

I find the 1.25" TV Everbrite diagonal and the T6 Naglers (plus the 16mm T5) to be excellent performers in this scope.

Edited by desertlens, 14 October 2021 - 03:16 AM.

• rerun, Lentini, icesheet and 2 others like this

#4 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:52 AM

I have a somewhat similar (and somewhat different) small refractor, the Vixen FL55.
In my experience the Baader BBHS mirror has a small edge over the Baader "Zeiss" prism.
If plan to use the fs60 also without the q module therefore I suggest the former stardiagonal
  • icesheet likes this

#5 Lagrange

Lagrange

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:53 AM

I use the base model Baader 32mm T-2 prism with a ClickLock adapter. The short optical path gives me plenty of in-focus to play with and in that respect it's very similar to the Tak prism which I would have been happy to use as well.

The T-2 prisms can give you more attachment options for a binoviewer although it depends on the model.

• icesheet likes this

#6 Brollen

Brollen

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:06 PM

I had a FS60Q for a time - wonderful scope. I kept in the "Q" configuration pretty much at all times. I exclusively used the Baader 1.25" T2 prism diagonal with it and though the focuser has very limited travel, using that diagonal I was able reach focus with pretty much every eyepiece in my arsenal. I always felt that the scope and that diagonal were a perfect match.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0847.JPG

• rerun, NC Startrekker, icesheet and 3 others like this

#7 icesheet

icesheet

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:39 PM

Thanks all for the helpful input and some lovely set ups here!

Overall it seems Baader is the popular choice and perhaps maybe the best option for me in terms of flexibility. Although, looks like I wouldn't go wrong with either the Tak or TV options either. I'm keen on the TV 3-6 zoom to cover high power planetary in Q config as well so looks like there will be more $$ leaving the bank account soon. It never ends!

• NC Startrekker likes this

#8 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:51 PM

I'm looking for some advice on accessories to pair with a Tak FS60 CB/Q. I will primarily use this for both terrestrial and astronomical observing.

Currently I have a SkyWatcher 2" 90deg dielectric diagonal, a Baader 1.25" 45deg amici erecting prisml, a 2" 28mm eyepiece (unknown manufacturer), a TeleVue Panoptic 15mm and a Celestron Ultima 7.5mm (both 1.25"). I have briefly tested the the scope during the day with the Baader diagonal using both the TV and Ultima eyepieces. I am unable to focus to infinity both in native CB and Q configurations due to not having enough inward travel.

I'm not sure I want to use 2" accessories with it so can anyone recommend a good diagonal to pair to with the scope and current eyepieces? The Tak 1.25" prism diagonal seems a safe bet but would I be better to go for something like Baader T-2 / 90° Baader Roof-Prism with BBHS? I've read a bit but I'm a bit confused on what to go for here. Additionally, I would  potentially like to use binoviewers with this set up in the future too. How can I be sure any of these would work with that?

Following on from that I'm keen to add some more eye pieces too. What do you think would pair well with the Panoptic and Ultima. I would like something that I could use to push the scope to it's max on planets and something for widefield sweeps. Is it worth getting a zoom?

Please give me your suggestions, even better if you have experience with the scope!

Cheers

Chris

I can understand not wanting to to use two inch eyepieces with that telescope.  Balance and awkwardness issues.  

Enjoy the telescope - It is a fine one.

• icesheet likes this

#9 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 15 October 2021 - 01:00 AM

I can understand not wanting to to use two inch eyepieces with that telescope.  Balance and awkwardness issues.  

I use my CB with a 2" Pentax XL 40, No balance problems at all and gives great views also in daylight.

• Brollen likes this

#10 icesheet

icesheet

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2021 - 02:00 PM

I use my CB with a 2" Pentax XL 40, No balance problems at all and gives great views also in daylight.

Nice! What's that, over a 7deg FOV? Who needs binoculars eh! What diagonal do you use?

#11 helpwanted

helpwanted

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 15 October 2021 - 04:51 PM

Glad I read this thread, I didn't know they were nose heavy.

#12 desertlens

desertlens

Nullius In Verba

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 15 October 2021 - 06:10 PM

Actually, the FS-60CB is tail heavy, especially when loaded with a diagonal, etc. As a partial remedy, Takahashi issued a shield extension (see photo) that weighs 420gm (almost a pound). This Berlebach Castor dual saddle mount offers the best balancing flexibility I have found for small scopes like this on a "sweeper" mount. Both scope and counterweight can be easily shifted for a wide range of weight transfer.

FS60CB.jpg

• payner, Lagrange, Traveler and 4 others like this

#13 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:33 AM

65 degrees for the XL 40.

I use for 1.25"ep's the Tak 1.25 prism.

For 2"eps i use an A-P maxbright (link).

And to attach the 2"diagonal on the CB, i use this ring: link

#14 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:37 AM

Actually, the FS-60CB is tail heavy, especially when loaded with a diagonal, etc. As a partial remedy, Takahashi issued a shield extension (see photo) that weighs 420gm (almost a pound). This Berlebach Castor dual saddle mount offers the best balancing flexibility I have found for small scopes like this on a "sweeper" mount. Both scope and counterweight can be easily shifted for a wide range of weight transfer.

attachicon.gifFS60CB.jpg

Nice Castor mount!

I use often the Giro III...but for my little tak i use since one year this ballhead:

https://www.leofoto....tail.php?id=330

That fits on a Carbon tripod  i use (also from Leofoto) and makes it an ultimate G&G kit.

• desertlens likes this

#15 Lagrange

Lagrange

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2021 - 05:58 PM

65 degrees for the XL 40.

I use for 1.25"ep's the Tak 1.25 prism.

For 2"eps i use an A-P maxbright (link).

And to attach the 2"diagonal on the CB, i use this ring: link

Do you have much in-focus left when using the 2" diagonal with your scope? I've got a Baader ClickLock dielectric diagonal which I understand has a light path about 9mm longer than the A-P Maxbright. I thought I might get that 2" visual back for my little FS-60CB but I'm not sure if my diagonal would work.

#16 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:24 PM

Glad I read this thread, I didn't know they were nose heavy.

Tail heavy.  Here is another photo of the weighted extension.

244415325_10222945174272228_5261760478969396201_n.jpg

• payner and StarDust1 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics