•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM70G Fun?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DaveWKC

DaveWKC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:22 PM

I think there's a problem with my mount.
USB control does not work at all. After downloading ASCOM (ASCOMPlatform65SP1.exe), and then installing the cem70 drivers from the ioptron site (iOptron_ASCOM_Driver_Installer6410.exe), I cannot connect to the mount using the iOptron controller software (ver.6.4.1.0)
All I get is the error saying that it can't find any ioptron devices. I have tried different computers and port settings, including changing baud rate on the serial port driver that gets created when you plug in the usb cable.

iPolar does seem to connect, but it's just a USB device on the chain.

However, wifi does not work at all. when using the hand controller to see wifi information, it just tells me that wifi is initializing. It does this no matter how long I wait.
When trying to check the SSID or IP, it shows empty data.

So... anyone have this issue before? I fired off an email to my rep at OPT, but not super thrilled right now.

I did confirm through the hand controller that the mount is on the latest firmware, V210105.

Attached Thumbnails

• image2.jpeg
  • image1.jpeg
  • image0.jpeg
  • error.jpg

#2 scadvice

scadvice

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:39 PM

Small question. Did you install iOptron Commander and the other SW drivers as instructed in the manual? The reason I asked is I got asked to help someone with their GEM70 and when he came over and we set him up he had not installed the SW on his computer. His complaints were similar.

#3 maheitka

maheitka

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:39 AM

I had a similar problem when connecting to USB on my CEM40. It was fixed by connecting not directly from my PC but via a USB hub, in my case the hub on my camera. And I had one (newly bought) USB cable that didn't work, even on the hub. Maybe you can check that.

#4 daw316

daw316

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2021 - 04:38 AM

+1 on cable issues with iOptron"not found" message

#5 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:24 AM

Hi

I have the same mount and encountered a few issues in getting ramped up to work with it. Each time I thought something was not working correctly, it turned out I had to replace or update a driver or that I had missed some aspect of the startup process - the manual is not very well done.

I’m lucky though since iOptron HQ is 20 minutes away so I can take the mount in if needed. They usually respond to email questions in 1-3 days and often even on weekends. I’d encourage you to email their tech support first unless OPT demonstrates responsiveness and competency.

Regarding your situation, when I was at iOptron a few days ago regarding a PHD2 - iGuider connection problem, the tech noticed that my handset said ‘CEM70’ instead of CEM70G’ which he said was the reason the wifi was not working-I had not even tried wifi since receiving the mount. Anyway, check that out, it may have something to do with some of your issues.

Gary

#6 DaveWKC

DaveWKC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:43 AM

Hey all! So, just to clarify from my late night post yesterday, here's what I have done:

Installed:

1. ASCOM (ASCOMPlatform65SP1.exe)

2. cem70(G) drivers from the ioptron site (iOptron_ASCOM_Driver_Installer6410.exe)

3. FTDI VCP Drivers listed in the FW upgrade instructions; Validated COM port is using FTDI VCP driver

4. iOptron Commander (I mistakenly referred to this as controller earlier) software (ver.6.4.1.0)

Was there something I missed with that software stack?

Also, my hand controller does say CEM70G, and seems to be able to connect to the mount fine from the limited testing I did.

Troubleshooting:

1. Tried new USB3 cable

2. Re-seated the wifi daughter card (there was glue on a few of the connectors already, and it was not loose.

3. Re-seated the other connectors on the mainboard while I had it out

4. Tried 2 additional PC's

5. uninstalled and reinstalled software

Output of upgrade attempt:

Package verified!
Version of mainboard in the package:210105
Version of RA board in the package:210105
Version of Dec board in the package:210105
Mainboard version of the device:000000
RA Version of the device:000000
Dec Version of the device:000000
Connecting .... Currently not in upgrading mode.
Entering upgrading mode .... Failed.

Example Commander log error:

2021-10-14 07:50:30.087 :DeviceInfo#
2021-10-14 07:50:31.108 ERROR: Received invalid response:
2021-10-14 07:50:31.108

Any other suggestions? I will email their tech support today

Edited by DaveWKC, 14 October 2021 - 08:56 AM.

#7 tocster

tocster

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:05 AM

Dont contact ioptron, Take it back to the retailer - there is obviously a fault.  

#8 DaveWKC

DaveWKC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:55 AM

Dont contact ioptron, Take it back to the retailer - there is obviously a fault.  

Any other brands I should be looking at that is close in price, and just as accurate for tracking? I was kinda eying that Rainbow Mount as it's stupid light and seems pretty good. The largest load I'd be driving is a c11 with cam and guidescope - so maybe 28 lbs

#9 DaveWKC

DaveWKC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:58 AM

As another update, I decided to go ahead and order a new USB-RS232 adapter that's based on a FTDI chip vs. the Prolific that I have now. I'm hoping that may help me at least be able to reinstall the firmware on the controller, or the unit itself. I dunno - just trying something while waiting to hear back from either OPT or iOptron

#10 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:02 AM

Its your call Dave how you handle the problem you feel you have with the mount. Of course, it would be a shame to go through the time, expense and uncertainty of shipping the mount to the Dealer who will likely ship it on to iOptron, if a few emails or calls with the Dealer or an email to iOptron tech support would resolve the problem.

Good luck,

Gary

#11 DaveWKC

DaveWKC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:32 AM

Its your call Dave how you handle the problem you feel you have with the mount. Of course, it would be a shame to go through the time, expense and uncertainty of shipping the mount to the Dealer who will likely ship it on to iOptron, if a few emails or calls with the Dealer or an email to iOptron tech support would resolve the problem.

Good luck,

Gary

I really don't think it's that simple though - Given the fact that the on-board wifi does not work, I am trying to understand how this is a driver/cable issue as several others have mentioned. 

I got an email back from OPT, and they recommended that I email ioptron. They gave me a different email address than the normal support one, so let's see what happens. I suspect the board may be needing to be replaced.

I guess where I am coming from is that since wifi is not working, and this is an on-board function - it feels like a DOA situation, and I have a hard time being OK with a DOA on a $3,000+ device. Especially since it's my first experience with the company and their products.

Edited by DaveWKC, 14 October 2021 - 10:40 AM.

#12 DaveWKC

DaveWKC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:48 AM

All - I apologize for any tone or frustration. I truly appreciate everyone who's tried to help out and share advice. 

#13 scadvice

scadvice

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:13 AM

We understand...one last thought...in the past I've read about the computer port not being recognized by the SW and there is a process for checking that they are connected or active. I do not know how to check this without stumbling through it. Possibly you do or someone else could speak up who does to check that the port is active.

Edited by scadvice, 14 October 2021 - 11:14 AM.

#14 tocster

tocster

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 14 October 2021 - 04:45 PM

I really don't think it's that simple though - Given the fact that the on-board wifi does not work, I am trying to understand how this is a driver/cable issue as several others have mentioned. 

I got an email back from OPT, and they recommended that I email ioptron. They gave me a different email address than the normal support one, so let's see what happens. I suspect the board may be needing to be replaced.

I guess where I am coming from is that since wifi is not working, and this is an on-board function - it feels like a DOA situation, and I have a hard time being OK with a DOA on a $3,000+ device. Especially since it's my first experience with the company and their products.

I understand your frustration - my own CEM70 had an issue with its RA board within a few days of using it, and my dealer replaced it for me.  I think it's terrible if OPT is passing on the responsibility of this stuff back to you.  That wouldn't be acceptable for any other product (imagine if your new car developed a problem, and the dealership asked you to contact Ford or Toyota)

Anyway my experience with the CEM70 and CEM70G is that they just work when connected to USB - very reliable - you shouldn't need to be updating firmware, or changing cables.  Im using the cables and power supply that came with the mount.

#15 DaveWKC

DaveWKC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:11 PM

OK - Update

My previous tests was not mounted on a tripod, as it had not arrived yet.

After it was delivered, I went ahead and mounted it up just in case.

Also - I noticed there was a sticker on the back of the hand controller that mentioned a battery not being installed, and there were a few references to one in the manual.

Anyway, mounted the thing up on it's sticks, and then put a new CR2032 battery in it.

Well... Started it up and holy crap - WiFi is now working, and I can now connect to it via USB, and GPS syncs - although I have an issue where the time is not in 24H format so it's throwing off the date. In other words, it shows as 05:11 instead of 17:11 so the date moves up to 5/15 instead of 5/14.

when just an hour prior WiFi and USB did not work at all...

I am not sure if there's some kind of safety in the mount where the spring loaded bolts have to be compressed, or there's a hard requirement for a battery.

Either way, I am not counting victory until there's a repeatable pattern - but so far so good.

***EDIT***
WiFi stops working after a few minutes and requires a power off to restore. Even resetting through the hand controller does not work.

USB connectivity still works tho

Edited by DaveWKC, 14 October 2021 - 05:41 PM.

• scadvice likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics