•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie here, just ordered a Celetron Elvaulation EdgeHD with StarSense AutoAlign

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Skinny1962

Skinny1962

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2021 - 10:42 PM

Newbie here, just ordered a Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 203mm f/10 EdgeHD Aplanatic Cassegrain GoTo Telescope with StarSense AutoAlign. It is back-ordered. Looks like it might be here after the first of new year if I am lucky! Can't wait!!

Skinny

• JohnBear, sanbai and 72Nova like this

#2 JohnBear

JohnBear

Apollo

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 13 October 2021 - 11:42 PM

Welcome to CN! 

If you have not used telescopes before (most newbies have not), you will have a LOT to learn to really enjoy this amazing telescope.  I highly suggest that (if you have not already done so)  you join a local astronomy club and look for an experienced owner of an Evolution 8" or similar scope to be your mentor.  Have someone from the club teach you how to use and take care of it properly.  There is more to learn than most newbies ever imagined, but what you learn  makes it SOooo Worthwhile!  

You may also want to get a book like Turn Left at Orion  or NightWatch to start learning how to find the more significant celestial goodies.  A pair of ordinary binoculars would also help in this endeavor. 

Please, when the scope arrives,  post your "first light" report here about your experience. .They usually are very interesting.

Until then - clear skies!

Edited by JohnBear, 14 October 2021 - 12:07 AM.

• petert913 and Skinny1962 like this

#3 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:16 AM

Hello, and welcome! I started with the same rig and it is a wonderful, amazing instrument; you will love it!  A brief word of background about SCTs here on Cloudy Nights: there is a sizeable presence on these forums that is anti-SCT. Some never owned an SCT and others last tried one over 20 years ago. Just ignore those posts. Conversely, there is a great group of folks here on CN with the same rig doing amazing things and are very helpful with questions. One thing you could do ahead of time while waiting for delivery is to read up on your new instrument. All the Celestron product manuals are on their website (only Quick Start Guide in box), so you can read the operating manuals. But, I was mostly referring to other sources. A couple that I found helpful is the NexStar Users Guide II by Michael Swanson. He has a great website, The NexStar Resource Site (https://www.nexstarsite.com/) and he posts here on CN frequently. The second book is Astronomy with a Celestron Telescope by Alexander Kerste. I have both books on kindle. I found them helpful. 

Wishing you the best-

Mike

• cneal and Skinny1962 like this

#4 sanbai

sanbai

Apollo

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:53 AM

Congratulations!

I have the same equipment. Even if I'm upgrading to something totally different, this is a great telescope for those that want something compact, powerful, and with goto capability.

Because of the electronics and its quirks there may be a frustrating start, but once you are trained it's great. Just persist.
I could go easily without Starsense. But I have it and I use it. I can do other stuff while the Starsense works.
For short planetary sessions I use the Solar system alignment because it's faster.

True is that I wish it could be operated fully manual sometimes and saves me all preparation.

Enjoy!
  • Skinny1962 likes this

#5 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:47 AM

It's an Evolution mount, so it can be operated fully manual for quick grab-and-go sessions.

• Skinny1962 likes this

#6 Skinny1962

Skinny1962

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:33 PM

Welcome to CN! 

If you have not used telescopes before (most newbies have not), you will have a LOT to learn to really enjoy this amazing telescope.  I highly suggest that (if you have not already done so)  you join a local astronomy club and look for an experienced owner of an Evolution 8" or similar scope to be your mentor.  Have someone from the club teach you how to use and take care of it properly.  There is more to learn than most newbies ever imagined, but what you learn  makes it SOooo Worthwhile!  

You may also want to get a book like Turn Left at Orion  or NightWatch to start learning how to find the more significant celestial goodies.  A pair of ordinary binoculars would also help in this endeavor. 

Please, when the scope arrives,  post your "first light" report here about your experience. .They usually are very interesting.

Until then - clear skies!

Thnak you for all the information. I'll follow up on the books ! Skinny

#7 sanbai

sanbai

Apollo

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:45 PM

It's an Evolution mount, so it can be operated fully manual for quick grab-and-go sessions.

Yes, it can, but not in the smooth way of a native manual mount.

The clutches are *very helpful* for initial setup and parking, but they don't provide enough friction control for manual tracking and regular operation.

#8 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:10 PM

Well, the clutches on my Evo-8 work beautifully and smoothly in full manual.  I often go that way for planetary observation.

Cheers

• Notdarkenough likes this

#9 sanbai

sanbai

Apollo

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:54 PM

Well, the clutches on my Evo-8 work beautifully and smoothly in full manual. I often go that way for planetary observation.

Cheers

I'll need to try again. Maybe my issue is the balance with my 2" diagonal and eyepieces. Long enough to push the scope forward for clearance, but not heavy enough to balance that.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics