•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Quick Report on Denk Binotron 27 (Love it!)

Report Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kongqk

kongqk

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bay Area (CA)

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:24 AM

I've been using my Binotron27 for a couple of weeks now, and really love it on my 12" Dob.

Ease of use:

It is so easy to use, that I literally put it in my focuser, and adjust to focus, and then observe ^_^ With the power swtich, I can easily change from 1.3X to 2X and 3X. Currently, I am using a pair of 40 mm plossl (49X, 76X, 114X), and 20 mm 68 degree (99X, 152X, 228X) and considering to get a pair of ES82 11 mm for really high power. The only thing issue I have is that, for 114X and 99X using 40 mm and 20mm eyepieces, I can not focus and need to pull out the Binotron a little bit to reach focus, but not difficult. 

Observations:

I most use the binotron27 for planets and bright DSOs. Saturn and Jupiter are great, and I can see some small details on them. Actually my best view of Jupiter with clearly a moon shadow transit is from binotron ^_^ I also observed M57, M15 etc. Very beautiful, especially for M15 globular cluster, I feel can see so many stars, and lanes.

Problems:

I also used it to look at the moon, and somehow, I can not merge the two views (for Saturn and Jupiter, I have no problems to merge the views from the two eyepieces). Not sure if this is just due to my inexperience. I found it is much easier to view in just one eyepiece. Also, the binotron27 is heavy, that I have to remove my finderscope and fasten the knob to lock the altitude movement for my tube, I think I will need to buy some counter-weights soon. 

Anyway, I am really glad of having this binoviewer, and definitely love it! I will continue to use it for more observations, but at this point, I still love mono-viewing for fainter objects, I don't think it will completely replace my other eyepieces like others do ^_^ 

• Jeff B, Joko and retroman2 like this

#2 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 14 October 2021 - 03:53 PM

I'm glad you love your viewers.  The Trons with the power switch are a nice package.

Actually, the Trons are one of the lightest high quality viewers available.

As you know, you can adjust the collimation of the Tron on the fly so I suggest you try that with the moon and see if it holds for the planets and stars too. 

Jeff

• kongqk likes this

#3 kongqk

kongqk

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bay Area (CA)

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, Jeff! I never tried the collimation with it, I will learn how to do that and test it out. 

I had no experience with other binoviewer, and glad to know the binotron is the lightest one ^_^

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Report, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics