•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

USB power supply for DSLRs

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:25 AM

Dears,

until recently I was not aware that such a thing exist. So I want to share this link with you:

https://www.amazon.d...01?ie=UTF8&th=1

The camera battery lasts 4 hours only and I cannot use a dual battery grip because the OAG and guide camera is in the way. As I use a power bank for the dew heater anyway this is a very simple solution for me.

I was afraid it could add digital noise to the image and made some test shots (darks) with the battery and with this supply. I cannot see any difference in the images.

Hope this helps someone.

CS

the Elf

• Jay6879, abcdefghii, Boeglewatcher and 1 other like this

#2 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:21 AM

I've tried a few of the USB/camera power adapters, and unfortunately they have not proven to be reliable for my setup. They sometimes work, but occasionally the camera will power off due to insufficient voltage. I have not tried that particular one, so it may work better.

However, I have had good luck with these, which get their power directly from the 12Vdc supply... I have one for my 60D and 600D. No issues with many sessions over the past year. I don't think there's one for a 600D, but the mini-connector on the power line is the same as most other ghost batteries, so I just unplugged the one that came with it and plugged in one that I already owned:

https://www.amazon.c...891&sr=8-3&th=1

#3 Hypoxic

Hypoxic

Viking 1

• Loc: Oise, France

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:26 PM

Haven’t tried the USB variety but the amazon version I had with a dedicated power supply worked fine for me until I bought the Pegasus version that plugs into my Pocket Power Box. One less brick and plug, the idea here.

Edited by Hypoxic, 14 October 2021 - 12:40 PM.

#4 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:37 PM

Never had a problem with the USB type on these models.  Each one has performed properly.

For EOS-R, 5D etc.  LP-E6
https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For EOS Rebels - LP-E17
https://www.amazon.c...1_t3_B07RGNGRBS

For EOS-M- LP-E17 - But this one has the pluggable socket on the bottom of the battery that plugs in from the outside of the camera through the battery door.

I have each of these for different cameras, and all work with either my power rig, or a cheap phone charging power brick.

Clear Skies !!

#5 abcdefghii

abcdefghii

Messenger

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:10 PM

I'd be curious to try something like this for my Nikon, at the moment I have to pull out 2 extension cords (outdoor extension cords, one only has 3 outlets, I need 4). I run my dew heaters off a powered USB hub, would be nice to also run the camera off the same hub assuming it was reliable. 

I'm slowly trying to figure out some better cable management / routing, think a couple times I have had guiding issues due to a snagged cable somewhere. So, anything that helps minimize things I am all for, while realizing this does not truly eliminate a cable, I could at least make a cable jacket with dew heater and DSLR USB power to have 1 thing hanging instead of 3. 

#6 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:26 PM

If you do go the USB route, you'll probably have the best success if you use a hub with a charging port. I run my raspberry pi off my USB hub, and it's mandatory to use a charging port to give it enough current. Come to think of it, I should try my USB adapter again and make sure it's on the charging port... hmm... 

#7 Lumenarian

Lumenarian

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:30 PM

Never had a problem with the USB type on these models.  Each one has performed properly.

For EOS-R, 5D etc.  LP-E6

For EOS Rebels - LP-E17
https://www.amazon.c...1_t3_B07RGNGRBS

For EOS-M- LP-E17 - But this one has the pluggable socket on the bottom of the battery that plugs in from the outside of the camera through the battery door.

I have each of these for different cameras, and all work with either my power rig, or a cheap phone charging power brick.

Clear Skies !!

I've read other forums where people have seen increased noise from using the dummy batteries. You haven't experienced that with any of these? I would certainly like to get one for my T6i since battery life is becoming a limiting factor for me, and I don't want to deal with switching out the battery and possibly losing alignment.

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#8 Lumenarian

Lumenarian

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:45 PM

Here is the forum I was reading about the thermal noise from the dummy battery.

https://www.cloudyni...y#entry11297115

#9 eknock

eknock

Lift Off

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 14 October 2021 - 06:08 PM

I'd be curious to try something like this for my Nikon ...

This has been a solid performer with my Nikon in my portable setup. Like you, I use a powered hub (that I modified for a 12V cigarette charger) for a couple of dew straps and the camera itself. 

• abcdefghii likes this

#10 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:33 PM

I cannot see any correlation to noise and dummy battery use. 

I have not had any noise problems using these ever since Canon 5D days.  Have used them for each generation of cameras, used them for 1/20,000th of a second exposure in High Speed scenarios, Snow covered mountain shots for hours on end, and of course astro. 

There are many reasons for noise, and original equipment battery heat can be an issue, but dummy batteries are to be delivering the needed voltage and curent, and most of the control for that is usually outside of the battery compartment, so no heat. 

If you have a canon with a flip out screen you can lower your heat but turning the display off, or flipping the screen and folding it in on itself. 

Clear Skies !!

#11 Jay6879

Jay6879

Ranger 4

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:35 PM

I've tried a few of the USB/camera power adapters, and unfortunately they have not proven to be reliable for my setup. They sometimes work, but occasionally the camera will power off due to insufficient voltage. I have not tried that particular one, so it may work better.

However, I have had good luck with these, which get their power directly from the 12Vdc supply... I have one for my 60D and 600D. No issues with many sessions over the past year. I don't think there's one for a 600D, but the mini-connector on the power line is the same as most other ghost batteries, so I just unplugged the one that came with it and plugged in one that I already owned:

https://www.amazon.c...891&sr=8-3&th=1

I've been looking for a 12v version of this for my t3i! I've been using a usb dummy battery and it has worked perfectly thus far, but with the cold weather coming I'm concerned it won't hold its charge in sub zero Temps so I've been searching for a 12v version that I can plug into my Asiair Pro.

Can you explain what you mean about the mini connector? Which one would I order since it doesn't have the ack-e8 listed for some reason?

#12 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:12 AM

I've been looking for a 12v version of this for my t3i! I've been using a usb dummy battery and it has worked perfectly thus far, but with the cold weather coming I'm concerned it won't hold its charge in sub zero Temps so I've been searching for a 12v version that I can plug into my Asiair Pro.

Can you explain what you mean about the mini connector? Which one would I order since it doesn't have the ack-e8 listed for some reason?

Sure... I think I got the ACK-E12 since it was the cheapest, but you could probably get the E10, E15, and E17 as well. You just don't want to get one of the styles that's hardwired into the ghost battery like the 60D model. It's the 3.0x1.1mm connector that's important - it should fit into any other ghost battery. See the connector here, and check to see if your current ghost battery has the same connector. It should - all the other ones for my t3i have the same mini connector.

Annotation 2021-10-15 080352.jpg  

Take this one for example... you would just use the part that inserts into the camera battery compartment, and plug the 12V converter into it via the 3.0x1.1mm connector:

Annotation 2021-10-15 080352-2.jpg

• Jay6879 likes this

#13 Jay6879

Jay6879

Ranger 4

Posted 15 October 2021 - 08:52 AM

Sure... I think I got the ACK-E12 since it was the cheapest, but you could probably get the E10, E15, and E17 as well. You just don't want to get one of the styles that's hardwired into the ghost battery like the 60D model. It's the 3.0x1.1mm connector that's important - it should fit into any other ghost battery. See the connector here, and check to see if your current ghost battery has the same connector. It should - all the other ones for my t3i have the same mini connector.

attachicon.gifAnnotation 2021-10-15 080352.jpg

Take this one for example... you would just use the part that inserts into the camera battery compartment, and plug the 12V converter into it via the 3.0x1.1mm connector:

attachicon.gifAnnotation 2021-10-15 080352-2.jpg

Ah I see what mean now. My usb dummy battery is hardwired so this wouldn't work for me, essentially I'd have to buy two dummy batteries just to poach that one piece. My search continues for a 12v dummy battery for the t3i I guess!

Or I may just buy another one of these..

https://www.amazon.c...AE9RJVUMB&psc=1

I have one right now for my usb dew heaters and it's worked really well. I should try it out with the camera, though I hope there isn't any issues with 12v being stepped down to 5v then using the usb dummy battery which steps it back up to 8v or whatever it is for the camera.

#14 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 15 October 2021 - 09:24 AM

I just make i have a spare batterie.

My Canon 600D could cope with it for about 4 hours until it was empty. Ordered a spare batterie today.

In my 800D i have one, so i just swith batteries after it has dried up...

I have allready enough cables...

But i was aware dummy batteries existed like that...

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 15 October 2021 - 09:27 AM.

#15 abcdefghii

abcdefghii

Messenger

Posted 15 October 2021 - 10:54 AM

This has been a solid performer with my Nikon in my portable setup. Like you, I use a powered hub (that I modified for a 12V cigarette charger) for a couple of dew straps and the camera itself. 

Thanks, I'll look into picking one of those up. At the moment I already have the dummy battery, but it runs off a mains outlet. Will be nice to instead run it off the hub and eliminate that one outlet (and the 2nd extension).

• eknock likes this

#16 GR-Amateur

GR-Amateur

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 October 2021 - 11:10 AM

Dummy battery for the dslr (Nikon d5300) is a must for me.

Never faced any problem and I eventually stopped worrying about having spare batteries or changing battery during sessions (most of the time something moves not to mention that I had to be stand by).

I haven’t noticed any affect on the signal, noise, amp glow or temperature of the camera whatsoever.

Proper Voltage seems significant parameter (so I’m reading from people that have faced hiccups). output of the dummy battery should be around +0,5V above nominal voltage of the battery (this is let’s say battery’s fully charged state).

#17 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:32 PM

I have a Gonine inverter and dummy battery I use with my Nikon full frame, D810a camera.
I also have a small thermal camera, the kind the plugs into an iphone and has its own app.
So I ran a test, first with a fully charged battery in the camera, then after allowing the camera to return to ambient, I ran a second test with the dummy battery installed.
I ran the same series of 5 minute exposures (lens cap on) on both.
The camera got 2 F degrees warmer near the battery region with the battery installed, compared to when the dummy was installed.

I actually expected the battery to create an even higher temp rise, since it is doing work and emitting heat when its running. The power for the dummy is external to the camera.
Thus, in fact, the temp rise of the camera was mainly due to its internal electronics, not really the battery or dummy battery.

#18 Ron359

Ron359

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:57 PM

My Canon M50 batteries don't last long.   So am using this USB dummy battery and can power it from a USB port on AC powerstrip in my observatory or a portable Celestron Li battery that also runs my AVX  or Sky tracker mounts or a 'phone charger' Li battery in 'the field' for the camera.   I bought a more camping-useful weather resistant charger in case of 'heavy moisture' like dew or got left out in surprise light rain.   

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.c...34320117&sr=8-3

Edited by Ron359, 15 October 2021 - 01:00 PM.

#19 Steve OK

Steve OK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 15 October 2021 - 01:27 PM

Is there a "12 V to dummy battery" device for Nikon (D5300) out there?  I haven't had any luck finding such.  Right now I use 12 V -> inverter -> Nikon AC power supply -> dummy.  

Steve

#20 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 October 2021 - 01:33 PM

Is there a "12 V to dummy battery" device for Nikon (D5300) out there?  I haven't had any luck finding such.  Right now I use 12 V -> inverter -> Nikon AC power supply -> dummy.  

Steve

If your dummy battery has the same mini-connector on it, you can use the same 12V - > dummy battery adapter that I linked above. Just toss the one that comes with the kit and use the one you already have. It'll plug right into your 12Vdc supply.

#21 Jay6879

Jay6879

Ranger 4

Posted 15 October 2021 - 02:10 PM

attachicon.gifAnnotation 2021-10-15 080352.jpg

attachicon.gifAnnotation 2021-10-15 080352-2.jpg

**** I COMPLETELY misunderstood what you were saying here! Yes, the USB dummy battery I have now use a plug like that. Essentially it's two parts, the cord with the USB end and the upconverter bit and then the dummy battery.

So you're saying set the USB cord aside and just plug that end you circled into the dummy battery, and this worked 100% with your t3i?

#22 Steve OK

Steve OK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 15 October 2021 - 02:37 PM

If your dummy battery has the same mini-connector on it, you can use the same 12V - > dummy battery adapter that I linked above. Just toss the one that comes with the kit and use the one you already have. It'll plug right into your 12Vdc supply.

Well, the connector is proprietary for Nikon, and I think the voltage requirements may differ from Canon.  I'll keep looking, or just keep doing what I'm doing.

Thanks for the reply!

Steve

#23 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 October 2021 - 02:46 PM

Well, the connector is proprietary for Nikon, and I think the voltage requirements may differ from Canon. I'll keep looking, or just keep doing what I'm doing.

Thanks for the reply!

Steve

How about this?

https://www.amazon.c...34327062&sr=8-3
  • Steve OK likes this

#24 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 October 2021 - 03:29 PM

**** I COMPLETELY misunderstood what you were saying here! Yes, the USB dummy battery I have now use a plug like that. Essentially it's two parts, the cord with the USB end and the upconverter bit and then the dummy battery.

So you're saying set the USB cord aside and just plug that end you circled into the dummy battery, and this worked 100% with your t3i?

That’s what I did. Keep the cable that connects to the 12Vdc source and has the in-line 12->8.4Vdc converter, and then swap the dummy battery on the end of it for one from a t3i adapter. I think I used one from a gonine adapter I had. Works great! 

Attached Thumbnails

• 19877327-4723-4DEF-8CA7-0939F621391F.jpeg

• Jay6879 likes this

#25 Jay6879

Jay6879

Ranger 4

Posted 15 October 2021 - 03:57 PM

That’s what I did. Keep the cable that connects to the 12Vdc source and has the in-line 12->8.4Vdc converter, and then swap the dummy battery on the end of it for one from a t3i adapter. I think I used one from a gonine adapter I had. Works great! 

boss-day.gif

It's over...it's finally over. I'd almost given up hope on finding a 12v dummy battery for my t3i, about to resort to some 12v step down to 5v to step up to 8.4v nonsense. I'm going to order this later tonight!

Edited by Jay6879, 15 October 2021 - 03:57 PM.

• DubbelDerp likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics