•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

If you had a space ride on Blue Origin . . .

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:18 AM

. . . and could carry one pair of binoculars, what would you bring?

• Stevenkelby likes this

#2 wrvond

wrvond

Gemini

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:21 AM

It's a short ride, I wouldn't spend my time fiddling with equipment. Just look out the window for the widest field view possible.

• hallelujah, mich_al, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:28 AM

Me:

If someone gave me a ticket for a ride on the Blue Origin, I'd call up my friend Jack and say;

"I got a ticket on the Blue Origin.. I'm have a haircut that day, you want my ticket? "

Jon

• Mark9473, hallelujah, Foss and 7 others like this

#4 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Apollo

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:32 AM

Yeah, I ain't ridding no rocket.  I'm too old to die.  But I'm sure the view is fantastic.

• Jon Isaacs, hallelujah, William Whitaker and 4 others like this

#5 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:46 AM

Looks like three minutes at zero G. Eyes not dark adopted. No wonder Cpt. Kirk is starring at earth and not at space. Dunno. What binos do people use on a rollercoaster?

Might be different on Elon's ride which went up for three days and had an observatory, but that one costs more. To be honest, nearby earth still creates more light pollution than the full moon. But maybe on the far side?

• lunardave and Stevenkelby like this

#6 rhetfield

rhetfield

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:49 AM

I wonder how many Blue origin tickets would be needed to upgrade to a SpaceX ticket?

If I could manage that, I would also be able to manage a nice pair of image stabilized binos.  

• markb, ArsMachina, Foss and 1 other like this

#7 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:36 AM

I would bring one of the "space-monkeys" from the 1960's. I figure since he's already been in space already and experienced micro-gravity that he could give me a few pointers so that I don't embarass myself in front of the other astronauts.

Also, if I do end up doing something really stupid, like rolling down my Window LOL! I can always blame it on the astro-monkey. If I end up passing "space-wind", blame it on the astro-monkey. If I accidentally leave a mess in the space-toilet, blame it on the space-monkey. Or how about, "Who drank all the Space-Tang?", that's right, space-monkey.

Yup, we'll see who really is smarter. Me, or space-monkey. I'm also working on a plan to smuggle a bunch of Tootsie-Rolls up with me, and spread them around in strategically placed and floating places and shape them just right so that it will look like space-monkey had, had a bunch of space-accidents. Yeah, that'll show him! He'll never make me look like a "monkey's Uncle" ever again!

Clear skies and keep looking up, just in case a piece of Tootsie-roll makes an unscheduled Re-entry.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• davidmcgo, Foss and Stevenkelby like this

#8 aznuge

aznuge

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:37 AM

Yeah, I ain't ridding no rocket.  I'm too old to die.  But I'm sure the view is fantastic.

Too funny lol.giflol.gif

#9 jprideaux

jprideaux

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:23 PM

I'll wait until they get the "star-trek transporter" working lol.gif

• Foss likes this

#10 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:13 PM

Professionals use Farvision IS binos. (Go to the Zvezda module.)

ISS Svesda Farvision

And Hasselblad cameras. But that was a different story.

• Foss likes this

#11 f18dad

f18dad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:14 PM

Me:

If someone gave me a ticket for a ride on the Blue Origin, I'd call up my friend Jack and say;

"I got a ticket on the Blue Origin.. I'm have a haircut that day, you want my ticket? "

Jon

I would also sell my ticket but try to hitch a better ride on Space X's Crew Dragon/Falcon 9 instead. No simple 10 minute mortar lob joy ride for me! I would prefer the real thing. So many don't remember that Alan Shepard was chosen over John Glenn to be the first American astronaut in space. There's a reason why...

But at least Shepard got to visit the Moon and become it's first golfer!

Edited by f18dad, 14 October 2021 - 08:36 PM.

• Foss likes this

#12 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:12 PM

what would you bring?

A barf bag.vomit.gif

• Jon Isaacs, BRCoz, faackanders2 and 2 others like this

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:19 PM

I would also sell my ticket but try to hitch a better ride on Space X's Crew Dragon/Falcon 9 instead. No simple 10 minute mortar lob joy ride for me! I would prefer the real thing. So many don't remember that Alan Shepard was the first American astronaut in space, and not John Glenn. There's a reason why...

I have little desire to travel in space.. I'm close enough to making that journey all by my lonesome.

By the way.. the Foss who posed this question lives about 10 minutes from me and his first name is Jack.

So this time, instead of calling Foss and saying, "Hey, Jack, you know those binos you're selling on Cloudy Nights", I'd be saying, "Hey Jack, I got a ticket I can't use, you want it?"

Jon

• hallelujah and Foss like this

#14 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 14 October 2021 - 03:29 PM

I have little desire to travel in space.. I'm close enough to making that journey all by my lonesome.

Jon

Very close for me as well. angel2.gif

Stan

• Jon Isaacs and William Whitaker like this

#15 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 14 October 2021 - 04:26 PM

thanks, but no thanks

edj

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#16 William Whitaker

William Whitaker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NE Tennessee

Posted 14 October 2021 - 04:32 PM

Very close for me as well. angel2.gif

Stan

Right??....

Cheers!

#17 Foss

Foss

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 06:56 PM

I'd go in a heartbeat if Jon gave me his ticket. Big risk, true, but big reward too.

Assuming I had ample time to take in the views (and that money was no object), I'd bring along a pair of WX10x50s...and hope they're as good as they're supposed to be.

~ Foss

• Terra Nova and ECP M42 like this

#18 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:55 PM

I’d rather have a Space X ticket and go once all the way around the planet at least once. To me being in Earth Orbit is really being in Space. At Blue Origin ceiling you are, right at the juncture between the Homosphere (where atmospheric gases, tho much thinner are still mixed in the same constant proportion as at the Earth’s surface) and the Heterosphere (where gases are separated and stratified based on molecular and atomic weight and are existing in a strongly ionized state). In other words, you are still well within the atmosphere (the part called the Mesosphere). That said, 60 miles up still exceeds the US AirForce’s criteria for space flight and is in the neighborhood of the record-breaking X-15 flights from the early days of the space race, and that would be pretty darned cool! I wouldn’t pass up the chance to go and if a ticket were offered on the Blue Origin, I’d grab it!

Edit: I wouldn’t want to fiddle with binoculars, I would just want to soak up the whole experience. Now my iPhone for a quick selfie and a pic out the window would definitely be a must.

Edited by Terra Nova, 14 October 2021 - 07:58 PM.

• faackanders2, wrvond, Barlowbill and 1 other like this

#19 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:35 PM

I'd go in a heartbeat if Jon gave me his ticket. Big risk, true, but big reward too.

Assuming I had ample time to take in the views (and that money was no object), I'd bring along a pair of WX10x50s...and hope they're as good as they're supposed to be.

~ Foss

... but for to look out the window at the stars or the Earth? 

It would be very interesting for me to make the Earth-Moon journey and back.

If you want to see the stars, you should request a vacation on the dark side of the moon waytogo.gif  

• Foss likes this

#20 Blue72

Blue72

Messenger

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 15 October 2021 - 02:00 PM

I just got back with Captain Kirk. I brought my 10x but they jiggled to much when the afterburners kicked in. I highly recommend 7x if you take the flight.

#21 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:34 PM

. . . and could carry one pair of binoculars, what would you bring?

Blue Planet Optics or Vixen/Orion 2.x x 50 for widest TFOV.  Light weight, double power & increase aperture of naked eye.

#22 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:37 PM

By the way.. the Foss who posed this question lives about 10 minutes from me and his first name is Jack.

So this time, instead of calling Foss and saying, "Hey, Jack, you know those binos you're selling on Cloudy Nights", I'd be saying, "Hey Jack, I got a ticket I can't use, you want it?"

Jon

I'll take it!

#23 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:43 PM

I would bring one of the "space-monkeys" from the 1960's. I figure since he's already been in space already and experienced micro-gravity that he could give me a few pointers so that I don't embarass myself in front of the other astronauts.

Also, if I do end up doing something really stupid, like rolling down my Window LOL! I can always blame it on the astro-monkey. If I end up passing "space-wind", blame it on the astro-monkey. If I accidentally leave a mess in the space-toilet, blame it on the space-monkey. Or how about, "Who drank all the Space-Tang?", that's right, space-monkey.

Yup, we'll see who really is smarter. Me, or space-monkey. I'm also working on a plan to smuggle a bunch of Tootsie-Rolls up with me, and spread them around in strategically placed and floating places and shape them just right so that it will look like space-monkey had, had a bunch of space-accidents. Yeah, that'll show him! He'll never make me look like a "monkey's Uncle" ever again!

Clear skies and keep looking up, just in case a piece of Tootsie-roll makes an unscheduled Re-entry.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

just have to aim and hit the target, and press the vacume button, and not the other way (unclog).

P.S.  I remember drinking Tang as a kid.  Belive it had less sugar than cool aid.

#24 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:56 PM

I'll take it!

Jacks got first dibs...  :)

Jon

• Foss likes this

#25 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 16 October 2021 - 12:07 AM

I just got back with Captain Kirk. I brought my 10x but they jiggled to much when the afterburners kicked in. I highly recommend 7x if you take the flight.

lol.gif  ... when he has guests he does not contain himself and drives like a madman. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics