•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Setting up a desert based observatory - a question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 David-LR

David-LR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: CA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 11:08 AM

SInce moving recently to a desert climate, I was wondering if anyone had advice on properly sealing an observatory against dust and sand.  Appreciate any comments.

I had designs in mind like a roll off roof, but I wonder if I can get that to be tightly sealed.

Edited by David-LR, 14 October 2021 - 11:08 AM.

#2 archer1960

archer1960

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 14 October 2021 - 04:20 PM

Check out ClownFish's posts One of them showed a filtered fan intake that would blow clean air into the obsy, and keep dusty air our.

#3 D_talley

D_talley

Skylab

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 15 October 2021 - 09:47 AM

My observatory in the desert of New Mexico had issues with dust finding its way in every crack it could. The design of the observatory was not made to keep the dust out and I did not have the time or money to make it dust free.  At the end of each session I would cover the scope with a cover which kept the dust off of the scope and computers.  That was easy and worked well for me.

• OldManSky and ABQJeff like this

#4 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 October 2021 - 11:38 AM

I'm pretty sure I saw it here, but it was a long time ago and I have no idea how to search the archives for it:

An observatory builder constructed his roof track in such a way it dropped by perhaps 1/2" at the end of its travel into the closed position.  That drop allowed the roof to come down on and squish some resilient material forming a seal around the whole building.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics