•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ALT/AZ suggestions for SVX140T

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bkmiller4463

Bkmiller4463

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 14 October 2021 - 12:31 PM

I’m looking forward to a 1Q22 delivery of my SVX140T and considering an ALT/AZ mount. Stability & lack of shakes is the most important thing. The tripod is a Berlebach Planet. 

I realize there aren’t a lot of 140s in the wild; perhaps someone has some experience with a TEC140 or similar with the same setup?

Any recommendations and experiences will be helpful. Thanks!

#2 D.Briden

D.Briden

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:56 PM

I'm sure you'll get the 'usual'... DM6 etc or perhaps a SkyWatcher EQ6-GT.

Personally I like a manual alt/az as a change from the computerised imaging gear. A Nexus WiFi device reads the encoders and send the info to my iPad running SkySafari. It is revolutionary (although I still like to use a paper atlas at times!) Sweep to which part of the sky you want... no waiting for the mount to slew, no de-clutching, etc, etc...

I have a TEC140ED riding atop a fully equiped Half Hitch Telescope Nova Hitch alt/az mount (also on the Planet), which I can highly recommend. Unfortunately these are out of production as the maker, Charles Riddle passed some years ago, but I do see them come up on your second hand State-side astro shops.... you may even be lucky to get the last mount he made, the FTX-V2.

Perhaps even a T-REX..?

If not, the Rowan AZ100 has a very good reputation (both on here) and SGL: 

https://stargazerslo...-owners-thread/

But none have the Half Hitch Telescope mount two-axis balance philosophy....

Good luck with your decisions!

Clear skies,

Damian (UK)

#3 Space_Race_T.J.

Space_Race_T.J.

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 14 October 2021 - 07:44 PM

Super Mount KR makes the W Master alt/az mount. It handles up to 55 lbs. They post YouTube videos of their products in action. I watched one the other day where the W Master mount is supporting a Celestron C14

T.J.

#4 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:21 PM

I use my TEC 140 with a Rowan AZ100 on a permanent pier and also on an Ioptron Tri-Pier with great results.

Attached Thumbnails

• TEC140_AZ100r 003.jpg

• Terra Nova, Space_Race_T.J. and JeremySh like this

#5 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:41 PM

William A. Paolini did a field test of the NOH CT-20 ALT-AZ MOUNT and his extensive report is available on the CN Home page.

While I do not have this mount, it may be able to handle your forth coming scope.

#6 Bkmiller4463

Bkmiller4463

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:57 PM

William A. Paolini did a field test of the NOH CT-20 ALT-AZ MOUNT and his extensive report is available on the CN Home page.

While I do not have this mount, it may be able to handle your forth coming scope.

I read that yesterday, looks pretty good. I was a little worried about the 2.5 second settle time for the 152, but the 140 should be better.

I use my TEC 140 with a Rowan AZ100 on a permanent pier and also on an Ioptron Tri-Pier with great results.

Dave, that's honestly the way I'm leaning. Can I assume by 'great results' you mean the focus shakies and settle time are minimal? 

Thanks T.J. for pointing me at the W Master.  Perhaps W stands for "Wood"?  :)

Damian, I can only say I wish Charles Riddle was still among us.

Anyone have experience with the Losmandy AZ8? 

• Space_Race_T.J. likes this

#7 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 15 October 2021 - 09:23 AM

Super Mount KR makes the W Master alt/az mount. It handles up to 55 lbs. They post YouTube videos of their products in action. I watched one the other day where the W Master mount is supporting a Celestron C14

T.J.

I have W Master mount.  I use it for 130mm f/7, f/9.2 and 152mm f/8 refractors.

It works really well.

I saw video demonstration with CFF 200 (f/6.5?) on W Master.

https://www.youtube....h?v=A4AEE6V37dY

Tammy

• Space_Race_T.J. likes this

#8 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 15 October 2021 - 10:46 AM

Dave, that's honestly the way I'm leaning. Can I assume by 'great results' you mean the focus shakies and settle time are minimal? 

Anyone have experience with the Losmandy AZ8? 

Yes, settle time after a slap on the diagonal is less than a second. Focus shakes with the Feathertouch are pretty much a non-issue.

I considered an AZ8 but decided against it when I found out the azimuth slow motion doesn't rotate with the mount. It stays in a fixed position so it would be pretty hard to reach most of the time.

• Bkmiller4463 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics