•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Evolution 9.25 corrector plate bad seal?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nrcapes

nrcapes

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 14 October 2021 - 02:06 PM

Anyone have an idea what the white powder in my OTA is? I keep getting liquid water inside even though it is securely covered. Perhaps condensation. Should this go to Celestron for warranty service?

B1977446-704D-45E2-8384-6CE271835521.jpeg

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 14 October 2021 - 03:57 PM

Unless you take it to the car wash what you see is almost certainly the result of condensation. Unless the recent versions have  changed the corrector plate is not sealed, not in the sense of preventing water and water vapor from getting into the tube.

If that residue is on the outside of the plate I would clean it. There are many threads and videos about corrector cleaning. My personal rule is that excepting pollen,  If I can't see an effect in the image, I postpone. I use Windex, a clean soft cloth or cotton balls or Zeiss wipes and solution. 

If some of the material remains on the inside after cleaning or if it is all on the inside, removing, cleaning and replacing the plate is easy, Again many threads, step by step guides and videos.

I do not see how this could be a warrantable defect. These scopes are not weather proof. The must be properly covered or brought into a dry building when not in use.

Condensation would not form only on the inside. Are you using a dew shield and a dew heater strap? These are essentials in many places with high humidity, costal climates, anywhere dew forms. If you see dew or frost on a car window, the SCT corrector would dew up earlier than the car.

If you send it to Celestron and they do not cover it you will of course have a heavy shipping charge (for a warranty claim my bet is that if they issue you an RMA they will want you to send the mount as well. If they do not agree that it a warranty problem you will have to pay shipping in both directions.  Shipping is always risky.

Lots of stuff on dew, dew heaters, and dew shields on the web, both commercial and DIY versions.  My RASA sports a stylish dew shield made from a sturdy black polyethylene nursery pot that once held a small tree. The dew heater is one of three donated by a defunct toaster. Heaters on is my default startup setting.

#3 nrcapes

nrcapes

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:13 PM

Unless you take it to the car wash what you see is almost certainly the result of condensation. Unless the recent versions have  changed the corrector plate is not sealed, not in the sense of preventing water and water vapor from getting into the tube.

If that residue is on the outside of the plate I would clean it. There are many threads and videos about corrector cleaning. My personal rule is that excepting pollen,  If I can't see an effect in the image, I postpone. I use Windex, a clean soft cloth or cotton balls or Zeiss wipes and solution. 

If some of the material remains on the inside after cleaning or if it is all on the inside, removing, cleaning and replacing the plate is easy, Again many threads, step by step guides and videos.

I do not see how this could be a warrantable defect. These scopes are not weather proof. The must be properly covered or brought into a dry building when not in use.

Condensation would not form only on the inside. Are you using a dew shield and a dew heater strap? These are essentials in many places with high humidity, costal climates, anywhere dew forms. If you see dew or frost on a car window, the SCT corrector would dew up earlier than the car.

If you send it to Celestron and they do not cover it you will of course have a heavy shipping charge (for a warranty claim my bet is that if they issue you an RMA they will want you to send the mount as well. If they do not agree that it a warranty problem you will have to pay shipping in both directions.  Shipping is always risky.

Lots of stuff on dew, dew heaters, and dew shields on the web, both commercial and DIY versions.  My RASA sports a stylish dew shield made from a sturdy black polyethylene nursery pot that once held a small tree. The dew heater is one of three donated by a defunct toaster. Heaters on is my default startup setting.

thanks for the feedback.  If it were simply condensation, I would not expect to see water literally pour out of the front of the scope when I lower the front. I'm talking ounces. Also, I don't expect the scope to be weather-proof but I always cover it with an Orion cover that would prevent any water from directly entering.  I also plug the visual back with a Farpoint Dessicant Cap with a couple of dessicant packs or remove the visual back and cap the end of the scope with the standard cap when not in use. After this latest incident,  I bought a dew heater, controller, and strap. Hopefully this will prevent further condensation. But my real concern was the white substance that seems to be coming from the corrector plate. To say the least, this is annoying, considering the precautions that I have taken. Except for removing the OTA from the mount and taking it indoors, which is a real pain considering how heavy it is and what a struggle to get it demounted and mounted.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics