•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Inexpensive Guide Scope recommendation?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Naptown Larry

Naptown Larry

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 03:45 PM

Ok, so I've blown my budget on an EQ6-R Pro mount and a 200p Quattro 8" Newtonian. So I'd like to pick up and "inexpensive" guide scope and camera that will be compatible with my scope.

I'm looking at SVBONY 50mm and 60mm guidescopes and their budget SV105 camera.

Would this set up provide adequate beginner level auto guiding capability for deep sky astrophotography?

If Not... What budget option(s) would you recommend?

#2 Mark Lovik

Mark Lovik

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2021 - 03:53 PM

Off topic -- pixel size for the camera is really small.   Planetary -- ok, it may cause you problems for DSO imaging (even at F/4).

If this is your guide camera -- comments stay the same.

------------------

Correcting my comment - the pixels are 3um ... bigger than I remembered.

This camera in mono can work as a guide camera.  For small to mid DSO's the camera will work, but you really want plate solving working.

Edited by Mark Lovik, 14 October 2021 - 04:04 PM.

#3 Naptown Larry

Naptown Larry

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2021 - 04:25 PM

I read that your guide scope should be 1/3rd the focal length of your telescope. The 8" Quattro focal length is 800mm. So does that mean I really need a 266mm+ guide scope?

#4 wcoastsands

wcoastsands

Messenger

Posted 14 October 2021 - 04:56 PM

Agena Astro wrote a decent guide for selecting a guider:

https://agenaastro.c...hotography.html

I think rather than simply focal length, it’ll depend on your image scale for both your main scope and guide scope. This factors in pixel size as well as focal length.

For my 208/860mm Newt with Fuji X-T100 (3.9um pixels), I’ve used a William Optics UniGuide 32/120mm guide scope with an ASI290MM Mini (2.9um pixels). I was happy with the results.

Currently I’m using an OAG with the same Newt for guiding as the camera attached has much smaller pixels (2.9um). The guide camera I’m using has the same pixel scale (2.9um), but binning is set to 2x2 for a guider pixel scale that’s essentially 2x of the imager. I’m also happy with these results.

One thing to note is I recently picked up another camera just to use with my PA routine so I wouldn’t have to keep swapping my guide camera between OAG and guide scope. The FOV of the main scope/camera is too narrow to use with the PA routine, but the little 32/120mm works great with 2.9um pixels.
  • Benschop likes this

#5 Benschop

Benschop

Messenger

• Loc: Eastern Ontario

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:38 PM

As for guidescope focal length, the key is the ratio between arc-seconds per pixel of the imaging camera vs arc-seconds per pixel of the guide camera.
A ratio of 1:5 is generally fine, but I can guide up to 1:7.

So the answer is dependent on the pixel size of your imaging camera and the pixel size of your guiding camera.

I recommend using the calculator linked here... enter your information, and try to keep the ratio 1:7 or less

A barlow in your guidescope can help but it makes the guidestar field smaller....

https://astronomy.to...ope_suitability

For example - with a budget guidescope/ camera
I'm presently using the QHY Mini Guidescope, 30mm aperture, 130mm focal length with a QHY5L-II-M guide camera. 3.75um pixels. 5.95"/pixel resolution.

I use an ST8300M imaging camera with 5.4um pixel size. The imaging resolution varies with focal length, as follows:

Imaging Camera resol. = 1.86 arcseconds per pixel for my ED80 (600mm), the imaging / guiding ratio is 1:3.21 (good)

Imaging Camera resol. = 0.87 arcseconds per pixel for my C8 at f6.3 (1280mm), the imaging / guiding ratio is 1:6.84.(not ideal but it works)

Imaging Camera resol. = 0.55 arcseconds per pixel for my C8 at f10 (2032mm),  the imaging / guiding ratio is 1:10.68 (too high)
         However, by adding a 2x barlow into the guidescope, my imaging / guiding ratio becomes 1:5.34. (good)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics