•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New to Planetary - Equipment Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ftur62

ftur62

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:07 PM

I've been doing deep sky astrophotography for a few years and wanted to try my hand at the Planets.  I was looking for a C8 to start with but they seem to be backordered for the foreseeable future, so I was trying to come up with a system using my Sky-Watcher Quattro 8" Newtonian.  Here's what I was thinking:

Quattro 8" with a 5x Televue Powermate and an ASI 224 MC.  That would give me a focal ratio of about F/20 and a FOV of 0.07° x 0.05°

Has anyone used a fast Newtonian with a system like this?  Would it work?  What would the limitations be? Any suggestions for improvement?  

Thanks for your thoughts.  I don't want to jump into this if it probably won't produce good images.

#2 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:30 PM

A Newtonian will work fine for planetary imaging if the optics are good and well collimated. However, you will need an atmospheric dispersion corrector which is used between the camera and the Barlow or Powermate. Make sure everything that you put in the focuser won't cause balance problems, you may have to adjust the balance of the tube in the cradle as well as the weight on the declination axle.

Taras

#3 Tulloch

Tulloch

Soyuz

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 14 October 2021 - 05:41 PM

The 8" Newt with a 5x will be perfect for the planets - you will also need an IR-Cut filter with the ASI224MC to get accurate colour balance.

• Avgvstvs likes this

#4 ftur62

ftur62

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 14 October 2021 - 06:13 PM

That’s great! I’m looking forward to jumping into planetary imaging. I’ll make sure I pick up an ADC and an IR-Cut filter. Thanks to both of you for the info.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics