•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Jupiter from tonight 10-14-21 - More to come

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 14 October 2021 - 09:55 PM

I've got to go to bed but wanted to get this first image out there.  I was imaging the Moon this evening at f/8 and left the optical train intact to image the transit of Europa and it's shadow.  Had nice framing so I took 90s captures at the 5 minute mark for about 40 minutes.  This is just the first of them to see how they were going to process.  I'm encouraged by the 10% 1.5x drizzle.  Need to work on the sharpening but there's promising stuff here I think.  EDIT:  Dropped the sharpening and used the 10% stack instead.

2021-10-15-0132_1-DWC-L-Jup_AS_P10_lapl5_ap87_Drizzle15wAP.png

Edited by dcaponeii, 14 October 2021 - 10:12 PM.

• Dave Mitsky, Jim Waters, mikewayne3 and 11 others like this

#2 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:13 PM

Nice family shot!

#3 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 14 October 2021 - 10:42 PM

Daryl reckons you shouldn’t use drizzle unless the captured data is top shelf.
Paul
  • dcaponeii and Mike Eddigton like this

#4 gfstallin

gfstallin

Apollo

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 15 October 2021 - 01:39 AM

Paul

I don't think there has been a top shelf Jupiter night north of 30°N latitude in about 6 years. It has been $1 shots night since 2015. I'd be willing to go to a better bar, but the wife is pretty suspicious about what I plan to do when we get there. "Barbados sounds fun. You want to bring a telescope though, don't you?" I lie, but her "hmm" reply denotes some heavy skepticism. 

All of this to say, it might be worth playing with drizzle now while we wait for orbital mechanics to do its thing. When the bar starts serving up some quality in a couple years, we'll know how to handle our liquor. lol.gif

George

Edited by gfstallin, 15 October 2021 - 01:39 AM.

• dcaponeii, Kiwi Paul and Lopper like this

#5 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:27 AM

Paul

I'm sure that is correct.  In my case I'm not using drizzle to bring out more detail.  I use drizzle to stop me from oversharpening.  If I use 1.5x drizzle and keep my sliders below 0.120 it's really hard to end up oversharpening.  I often still manage to do it (hence that first edit last night before bed) but it at least helps.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics