•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ETX-125 PE RA problems

Polar Alignment Meade
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marcushope

Marcushope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:34 PM

I have a Meade ETX-125 bought about 2007. Recently the RA drive has given problems with set up, running into the stops. Now the telescope will only turn 312 degrees by hand rather than the 2 1/2 revolutions.  Meade USA cannot help, Meade UK (I live in London) have not imported these telescopes and have no spares.

I saw a video about dismantling the base plate of the ETX to access the motor drive, but I believe the RA ring is located on the other side (ie underneath the motor as seen from the opened base. Is this correct? And has anyone tried to correct this problem?

Needless to say the optics are wonderful: pity about the drive.

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 October 2021 - 04:11 PM

Gday Marcushope

If it is a true "PE" model, then i wrote a document on disassembling them to fix severe binding.

http://www.weasner.c...f_ETX125PE.html

It shows piccies of the mechanism, ( which is pretty simple ), but its a beast to get to

and involves a lot of disassy to get the clutch bolt free without cutting wires.

One recent user had a similar problem and it came back to the fact one of the screws

holding the plastic motor assy in place

ETX screw.jpg

had been screwed in too far and was snagging the moving stop disk.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

Edited by OzAndrewJ, 15 October 2021 - 04:16 PM.

#3 Marcushope

Marcushope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2021 - 10:26 AM

Hi Andrew,

My reply to you and your helpful rejoinder have mysteriously disappeared. Maybe I am navigating the forum incorrectly, so could you kindly repost as I had a further question: the stop which might foul the plate is a screw, I presume. If so what size Allen key is required?

Thanks

Marcushope

#4 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2021 - 03:54 PM

Gday Marcus

You sent the request for specifics as a private message ( not on the main forum )

and my reply is on that ( and its still there )

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Polar Alignment, Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics