•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPC 1100 edge HD, "GPS is not responding"

Celestron SCT
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aughtago

aughtago

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2021 - 06:35 PM

I have a CPC 1100 edge HD, permanently wedge mounted to a concrete pier. For awhile now when trying to connect the scope via CPWI I get an error that says the GPS has stopped responding. (see screenshot attached) , When I try answering "YES" to reconnect, wheels spin and the same error comes back. If I choose "NO" it loads the last known coordinates and the scope seams to operate ok. I inspected the cable and connections from the motor board up to the GPS antenna all looks fine. I tried Firmware updates-no joy. On a gamble, I bought a new GPS antenna, still no joy! 

NOTE: I used to have a star sense, but have since removed it and sold it as I wasn't using it. CPWI also searches for the star sense at the same time it looks for the GPS, and the focuser the GPS appears to connect as the GPS menu item appears(also the focuser menu item shows up), but as soon as CPWI stops searching for the star sense , that is when the error pops up, when I click NO, the GPS menu item disappears. (focuser menu item remains , and I have no issue with my focuser)

Questions:

Because I am permanently mounted, does the GPS even matter? (except if I go portable which has happened rarely) I also have the laptop connected to the internet , so the time should remain accurate.

Any suggestions on what else could solve the GPS error?

Attached Thumbnails

• GPS Error.PNG

#2 astrochoker1

astrochoker1

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 15 October 2021 - 06:44 PM

I believe after you have set your location it's no longer necessary to use the GPS.

I'm at a fixed location as well so I don't use the GPS anymore. 

#3 Seiten

Seiten

Messenger

• Loc: Huntsville, AL 35763

Posted 17 October 2021 - 12:30 AM

As long as your location as recognized by your pc/laptop represents your true location and your clock is updated often enough in the settings of your PC, you really dont need the GPS.  I did sometimes use it with my CGX and would run into times when the GPS would not sync up to the satellites.  If it took more than 4 or 5 minutes, I would just hold the GPS up higher to ensure it would be a clearer view of the current satellite constellation.  That would usually help it sync up and then it would have little problem later if CPWI lost connection for some reason.

On your PC, search for "set default location" and then at the Default Location, punch "Set Default" and a map will appear showing your current location and you can change it to whatever you like.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics