•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where have you been all my life SLV?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tailspin45

Tailspin45

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Carlsbad CA, near San Diego (Bortle 8)

Posted 15 October 2021 - 06:59 PM

I'm only a couple weeks old in my solar life, but a few days ago I discovered Solar Live View (SLV) and it was love at first sight!

Got ahead of myself and downloaded 60 SER files with 200 frames each. The idea was to create a timelapse.  And then it hit me.

I had to process 12,000 frames somehow and then find a way to build a movie or animated GIF! That could take hours. Good planning, Roger Ramjet.

Looking for a solution, I discovered SLV, but came at it with timelapse on the brain. SLV is actually designed to make solar live view(ing) easy. And it does that very well.

I told it to watch a folder for SER files produced by SharpCap, it grabbed them, processed them and displayed them, and I didn't lift a finger. The attached image is an example. Wife and neighbors ooh-ed and awh-ed as every 15 seconds a new frame was displayed.

"That thing sticking up is several times bigger than Earth? But it's moved since we started looking! It must move at thousands of miles per hour!" Gotcha!

I finally got my head wrapped around the fact that the animation feature is dessert and not the main course, but I still haven't mastered it. Not because it's hard to use—like everything else in SLV, it's very straight-forward and the manual is exceptionally clear. The problem is I'm eager to produce something spectacular so I keep fiddling with the settings in mid-shoot trying to make it look better. I'll get there.

Watch this space....

2021-10-15_11-13-47.png

Edited by Tailspin45, 16 October 2021 - 09:21 AM.

• Sky Captain, peterm, BinoGuy and 3 others like this

#2 descott12

descott12

Gemini

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 15 October 2021 - 07:22 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the nice review. Remember that you can overlay an earth globe and I found that changing the color can help accentuate certain details. Sometimes plain old grayscale looks the best. And it is also easy to zoom in on a particular detail but going above 100% does not produce more detail.
Cheers

• Tailspin45 and jerahian like this

#3 Tailspin45

Tailspin45

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:00 AM

Yes indeed!

2021-10-16_13-58-44.jpg

#4 descott12

descott12

Gemini

Posted 17 October 2021 - 06:04 PM

Your proms are looking a little soft. Was this just a single frame or did you stack a .ser file?

Whens stacking, be sure to define an alignment box around a detail with alot of contrast like a prom with a little bit of the disk edge.

Remember to use unsharp mask and I have found that stacking about 10% works best. If you stack more, things can get a little mushy. 

Of course this all depends on your local seeing conditions. For me in Charlotte, the jet stream has moved in so my next 5 months are going to be horrible.

• Tailspin45 likes this

#5 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 October 2021 - 07:29 PM

Crap I have yet to make slv work for me frown.gif  

#6 descott12

descott12

Gemini

Posted 17 October 2021 - 07:56 PM

Crap I have yet to make slv work for me frown.gif  

What kind of problems are you having? I would be happy to work with you to get it working.

#7 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:43 PM

What kind of problems are you having? I would be happy to work with you to get it working.

I just wanted to say thank you for helping the community.  This kind of development effort is just really amazing.
I have downloaded and will post as soon as I get a little more up to speed with it.

Again, thank you for your contributions.
It would be appropriate to have a buy me a cup of coffee link on your page.  It may not be your motivation, but it is one of many ways people can say thank you.

Clear Skies !!

• Tailspin45, fiston and descott12 like this

#8 Tailspin45

Tailspin45

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:21 AM

Your proms are looking a little soft. Was this just a single frame or did you stack a .ser file?

Whens stacking, be sure to define an alignment box around a detail with alot of contrast like a prom with a little bit of the disk edge.

Remember to use unsharp mask and I have found that stacking about 10% works best. If you stack more, things can get a little mushy. 

Of course this all depends on your local seeing conditions. For me in Charlotte, the jet stream has moved in so my next 5 months are going to be horrible.

Yes, I've been struggling with that soft prom problem, so far without success.

That image in post #3 is one of a series built by SLV from 10% of a stack of 200 frames captured every 30 seconds with SharpCap. In other words, as you recommend.

I've tried tiny AR boxes and huge ones, just proms, just surface, a little of both, tall and narrow, short and wide. But it just doesn't seem to track very well—that's especially evident in timelapse animations.

Oh, wait! Just dawned on me the alignment procerss goes on only within capture sequences and between frames, not between resulting images added to animations, right?

Bad seeing and seabreeze really make my images jump around from sequence to sequence, although I use 10ms capture rate with the ASI174 and adjust the historgram to abouyt 70% with gain. So that's probably not what's making the proms soft.

Maybe focus? I still haven't figured out how to get a dead on sharp focus even with SharpCap and FireCap tools. I do, however, fully understand why Lunt recommends a Feather Touch focuser. The helical focuser is smooth, but does suffer from stiction that frustrates the process.

Edited by Tailspin45, 18 October 2021 - 09:24 AM.

#9 descott12

descott12

Gemini

Posted 18 October 2021 - 02:54 PM

Focus is huge and a helical focuser makes it tough. Especially since you can't motorize it easily and be able to view your screen in a dark area while doing slight adjustments.

But seeing is just as important.

It is probably a combo of both. I know that seeing is killing me this time of year so I won't be producing anything good for a few months.

Right. The alignment region is for aligning frames within a single video.  Alignment between frames in an animation is produced by good mount tracking and the ability to drag frames around in the animation window to adjust them. Once I get auto-guiding working, hopefully that will just magically be taken care of.

#10 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:01 PM

Well it tells me to watch the file I'm saving in and make sure your recording in ser format. I have yet to get an image in slv?

#11 Tailspin45

Tailspin45

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 10:12 PM

My guess is SLV is not looking at the folder where SharpCap is putting the file. Double check?

#12 descott12

descott12

Gemini

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:53 AM

and make sure to press the Run button
  • Tailspin45 likes this

#13 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:52 PM

My guess is SLV is not looking at the folder where SharpCap is putting the file. Double check?

yes did a quick imaging looked where folder was because it changes every day tried to tell slv to look at that folder still nothing.  I'll try again next time I get out to image and yes to Dave tried run button 

#14 billtootsuds

billtootsuds

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 October 2021 - 06:59 PM

yes did a quick imaging looked where folder was because it changes every day tried to tell slv to look at that folder still nothing.  I'll try again next time I get out to image and yes to Dave tried run button 

image of where I tell slv to watch the bottom date folder is the one that changes?

Attached Thumbnails

• slv folder save.jpg

#15 descott12

descott12

Gemini

Posted 19 October 2021 - 07:48 PM

In the Capture tab in Preferences, make sure you choose .ser for the format.

Also, in you screenshot above, make sure that is the folder where the .ser files are deposited. It will only process files that are created AFTER you press the Run button.

I can remote in with TeamViewer and help you next time. I think it is probably something pretty simple.

• chemman likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics