•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alternative bases/riser for Telrad

Equipment Accessories
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brenden

Brenden

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2021 - 09:41 PM

Hi everyone,

I have an ES truss dob and just purchased a telrad to install. Unfortunately the base is about 1 cm too long and doesn't fit between metal rings on the upper assembly. I have found the dove tail adapters on scope stuff, but they are pricey and I already have a RACI finder attached so I would rather find another option. Are there any alternative bases out there or even a riser that have a slightly smaller (less long) footprint? I love the quality of the telrad, but I suppose if I can't make it work then I will return it in exchange for a Rigel quick finder.

Thanks!

#2 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 15 October 2021 - 09:50 PM

Its hard to tell from your description but can you put a small wooden block

between your metal rings? Then mount the telrad base on top of that?

It doesn't matter if it overhangs a bit on either side. But maybe it won't look so good?

I guess it all depends on what's important to you.

#3 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 15 October 2021 - 09:52 PM

I'm not familiar with the ES scope.  How high are the rings that you need to clear?  My thought was attaching a wooden block to serve as a cheater/base for attachment of the Telrad base above the rings.

(Posted moments after the above similar suggestion made while typing.)

Edited by kfiscus, 15 October 2021 - 09:54 PM.

• Avgvstvs likes this

#4 Brenden

Brenden

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2021 - 10:08 PM

The rings are very low, maybe about 2mm. The tube is long enough, there's just not quite enough room between the two rings that go around it. Using a piece of wood is a good idea. I don't have access to a shop to cut something to size, but maybe I can find something else to use. The only issue I see is that it might not stay very well due to the curve of the tube (The telrad has two angled points of attachment).

• Avgvstvs likes this

#5 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:13 PM

You could have someone cut a piece of aluminum U-channel.  Mounted 'upside-down', its 2 edges will keep things aligned.

#6 Mitchell M.

Mitchell M.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mountains of Western NC

Posted 16 October 2021 - 03:17 PM

How about mounting the telrad to the raci in such a way to utilize them together?

#7 BNesvold

BNesvold

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 October 2021 - 06:52 PM

I had the same issue with the same scope. I trimmed off the bottom couple millimeters on one end of the telrad base until the it fit between the upper and lower rings on the UTA.
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:07 PM

I had the same issue with the same scope. I trimmed off the bottom couple millimeters on one end of the telrad base until the it fit between the upper and lower rings on the UTA.

Hello and :welcome: to Cloudy Nights.. 

That sounds like the plan.. 

Jon

#9 Brenden

Brenden

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:48 AM

I also thought about trimming it slightly, but am lacking in trimming tools. Perhaps I will look into this though. What did you use to trim it?

#10 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Vanguard

• Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:52 PM

I have an ES 16 gen II dob and I use this bracket to mount both my Telrad and Stellervue 60 mm Finder scope and works well.  I have to adapt the bracket to ES.  I use this Telrad adapter from Scopestuff and this riser as well.  The finder is closest to the Focuser and forward in the mount and the Telrad is on a short riser and back in the mount.  Good luck!

Edited by cliff mygatt, 19 October 2021 - 01:58 PM.

#11 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 October 2021 - 09:37 PM

I also thought about trimming it slightly, but am lacking in trimming tools. Perhaps I will look into this though. What did you use to trim it?

I would use a Dremel and a sanding drum with a light touch (and eye protection).

#12 BNesvold

BNesvold

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:13 AM

I just used a hack saw. Mark the cuts and take it slow.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics