•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

[SOLVED] Problems connecting QHY camera

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Luca Amerio

Luca Amerio

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 06:45 AM

EDIT: SOLVED. See the solution at the end of this post.

Hi everybody

I'm moving my first baby steps in the world of CCD/CMOS astronomy after few years using a DSLR PC-free setup. 

I recently bought a QHY163M camera (and a QHYCFW) but I'm having some issues having the camera detected by my PC.

I installed the ASCOM platform 6.5.

I downloaded the SYSTEM PACK Ver.201910 from QHY website https://www.qhyccd.com/download/. From there I installed:

- QHYCCD Device Drivers

- EZCAP

- ASCOM DRIVERS (for platform 6.5)

- ASCOM DRIVERS CFW

- SharpCap

However when I connect the camera to the PC (after hearing the "dling" sound) neither EZCAP, nor SharpCap detect the camera.

More precisely...

EZCAP simply states "Not Found QHYCCD devices"

SharpCap detects the camera using the ASCOM drivers, but not with QHY native drivers:

SC_cameras.jpg

If I select QHYCCD-Cameras-Capture I receive first this warning

SC_cameras2.jpg

and then this error:

SC_cameras3.jpg

(The details of the error translates to something like: "Access point not found". Don't know why that part is in Italian)

If I select QHYCCD-Cameras2-Capture instead nothing changes.

Lastly I went to Device Manager to check if the system was detecting the camera. I found that the camera is detected as "WestBridge" (100% sure it's her) but the drivers appear to be missing.

SC_cameras4.jpg

And I'm stuck here...

Any suggestion?

SOLUTION

While installing the QHY drivers DO NOT REMOVE the tick for QHY5III Camera driver when selecting "Additional Tasks". Those are exactly the drivers you need for the latest (2021) cameras as QHY163.

QHY_Drivers.jpg

Edited by Luca Amerio, 16 October 2021 - 09:58 AM.

#2 Bob Koch

Bob Koch

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Broken Arrow, OK

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:13 AM

Are you appling 12v power to the camera?

Bob

#3 Luca Amerio

Luca Amerio

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:28 AM

Are you appling 12v power to the camera?

Bob

Yes grin.giflol.gif

ok-now-is-it-plugged-in.jpg

Edited by Luca Amerio, 16 October 2021 - 07:28 AM.

#4 tucsondave

tucsondave

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:49 AM

I have a QHY294C and had the same problem, complete with "ding", when I used an extension USB cable that was not 3.0.  After upgrading to a 3.0 cable, SharpCap recognized the camera for native use.

Also used a powered USB 3.0 hub to connect scope and camera to computer.

td

Edited by tucsondave, 16 October 2021 - 07:55 AM.

#5 Astro Gerard

Astro Gerard

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:07 AM

I had the same problem because I unchecked what I thought were old camera versions. You must accept All defaults listed when it shows what appears to be older models upon installation of the software- they are actually the ones you need.

Edited by Astro Gerard, 16 October 2021 - 08:08 AM.

#6 Luca Amerio

Luca Amerio

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:07 AM

I have a QHY294C and had the same problem, complete with "ding", when I used an extension USB cable that was not 3.0. After upgrading to a 3.0 cable, SharpCap recognized the camera for native use.
Also used a powered USB 3.0 hub to connect scope and camera to computer.

td

Thanks for the hint, but I’m using the usb3 cable that came with the camera directly to the pc. I have a usb3 hub, but to exclude the problem was that one I bypassed it at the moment.

I’m quite sure the usb on my pc is a usb3. Any idea on how to verify that?

#7 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Maryland, US

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:10 AM

The Device Manager screenshot is the telling one here.

First off, the QHY ASCOM driver being listed does not mean that the camera hardware is detected by anything. ASCOM drivers are always present, and any application will always list the ASCOM drivers that are installed on the system. You have to manage their connection to the actual hardware from within their own configuration/setup menus. One should think of an ASCOM driver as a middleware application, not so much a driver.

As indicated by the Device Manager screenshot, it would appear that the QHY USB driver is not attaching to the camera when it's plugged into your system, likely due to some issue with either the USB driver's installation or Windows itself is confused and doesn't know which driver to attach to the camera.

To attempt to fix this, try the following:

1. Unplug the camera from your computer, just to have it out of the way
  2. Go to Windows Settings -> Apps
  3. Search for/look for "QHYCameras Driver" - this is the QHY USB driver installation package
  4. Uninstall QHYCameras Driver

I would reboot your system at this point, just to ensure than any mis-installed driver is no longer in Windows' driver cache.

1. ​Go to the QHY USB driver download page and download the current one, listed at the top
  2. Unzip the file. There will be 2 larger files inside; one for Windows 7/8, the other for Windows 10.
  3. Run the Windows 10 installer, assuming you are using Windows 10.
  4. CLick through all the default options and finish the installation

At this point, you should be able to connect your camera and the QHY USB driver should attach to it. You would then see it listed under the Cameras menu in SharpCap, as well as in the configuration/setup window of the QHY ASCOM driver.

• Luca Amerio likes this

#8 Luca Amerio

Luca Amerio

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:53 AM

Thank you so so much dghent

At the end of the day I understood my mistake. Reading around I understood that QHY product with a single digit (as QHY5II, QHY8, QHY9, etc) were obsolete product. So in the driver window I removed the tick from the drivers for the QHY5III series foreheadslap.gif

Following your instructions (and keeping the drivers for QHY5III ticked) now the camera is correctly working in EZCAP, SharpCap and it's correctly listed in Device Manager.

Thank you very much for your detailed instructions and for pointing me in the right direction. bow.gif

• dghent likes this

#9 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 16 October 2021 - 11:23 AM

Glad you got that sorted out.

#10 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Maryland, US

Posted 16 October 2021 - 11:56 AM

Thank you so so much dghent

At the end of the day I understood my mistake. Reading around I understood that QHY product with a single digit (as QHY5II, QHY8, QHY9, etc) were obsolete product. So in the driver window I removed the tick from the drivers for the QHY5III series foreheadslap.gif

Yes, that would be the root cause of this issue, then.

The product nomenclature is a little strange and has, I think, historical reasons for its structure, but "QHY5III" covers all USB3 CMOS cameras, cooled and uncooled.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics