•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

BN33, Horsehead Nebula - C&C Welcome

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:21 AM

So I finished off four nights of shooting Barnard 33 last night and here's the result.

BN33

It's got a weird band of haze going through it, kind of like a half circle going from 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock.  What do y'all think is causing that?

I ran this through Siril and used photometric color calibration, manual color calibration, and background extraction.

355 x 120" lights

10 darks (only had 10 darks in my library; didn't want to shoot 30 this morning)

30 flats

30 bias

• Diego, mikewayne3, chrysalis and 7 others like this

#2 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, USA

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:42 AM

Nicely done, mate!

My only feedback would be to compress the highlights a bit. Besides the star blowout, the core of NGC 2023 is missing. Some Curves or a separate workflow are in order to bring the highlights back in check.

BQ

#3 DJL

DJL

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:41 AM

Kudos for the multi-night session; this is a good start and can be the basis for combination with Ha subs later.

The haze it may be real nebulosity. Take a look at other images for example https://www.amateura...orsehead-nebula.

There's a lot of Ha in this area which doesn't come out well with just the RGB image. If you can get an Ha filter and take more subs and combine them with what you already have, it will make the red area brighter and more detailed.

After working on this myself, I realised that processing the stars separately from the nebula is the next thing I have to learn :-)

Edited by DJL, 16 October 2021 - 08:44 AM.

• brentknight likes this

#4 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 03:30 PM

Yeah I think I'll run this one through starnet++ and see what I can do with it.

#5 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Viking 1

• Loc: Seneca, South Carolina

Posted 16 October 2021 - 03:54 PM

Lovely image, Matt. One of my favorite areas of the sky.

#6 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Viking 1

• Loc: Seneca, South Carolina

Posted 16 October 2021 - 04:14 PM

I agree that the "haze" is nebulosity. I worked on your posted jpeg to show it a little better. Nice stuff you've been posting lately, Matt!

Attached Thumbnails

• Horsehead2.jpg

• brentknight likes this

#7 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 06:15 PM

Thanks!  Frankly I'm running out of targets this season.  I'm limited from my vantage point to the northeastern sky.  Any suggestions?

I've imaged BN33, M33, and M31 recently.  Looking for something new.  Considering the Crab Nebula in the morning hours, but need a new evening target.

• DJL likes this

#8 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 16 October 2021 - 11:52 PM

Matt I have views from North all the way around to SE but with the moon for the next several nights I have been going through my NE routine of..

1. Phantom Mask

2. Flaming Star Nebula

3. Jelly Fish 

4. Christmas Tree

I image from my deck so I image sundown to sunrise grin.gif and man when I checked on my rig about 4am this morning I was to tempted to change the sequence and jump on the Flame and Horsehead but I stayed strong knowing there is all winter for those two targets and I will need them because I enjoyed last Galaxy season but Nebulas are my favorites..

#9 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2021 - 04:04 PM

Yeah I image from my driveway which is over 100' long and dark/secluded up by the house, so I leave my rig out sundown-sunrise.  It's a treat to get to image all night while I sleep.  At my age I get up several times a night anyway, so I always go out and check on things.  If it's finished with the previous run when I'm up, I'll switch targets.  I don't do meridian flips with my Star Adventurer.  Just too much manual work in the wee hours.  So I image until the flip and then switch to something else.

I'll check these targets out.  Thanks for the info!

#10 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 17 October 2021 - 04:49 PM

I don't do meridian flips with my Star Adventurer.  Just too much manual work in the wee hours.  So I image until the flip and then switch to something else.

This utterly confuses me. How is it any more difficult re-framing your current target than it is to find a completely different target and frame it? You don't have any computerized mount control... everything is manual.

Also, you're far too young to be getting up multiple times a night (unless it's to go take care of a baby) :p

• Mike in Rancho likes this

#11 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 October 2021 - 05:07 PM

Sounds like you have the same view as I do, since can only image from about 8pm  and whatever is on the northeastern sky, my northwest is blocked by a tree, so it's pointless to me to do Meridian flip.  

I suggest a few things I'm usually aiming at this month (although clouds lately don't let me do anything for a few weeks now)

NGC7822
Heart Nebula
Soul Nebula 

Andromeda galaxy
Triangulum galaxy

Bubble Nebula+Crab Nebula 

California Nebula. 

I usually do a coin toss in my head,  whether I'm going to do broadband or narrowband so with broadband I'm only looking at Andromeda and Triangulum. 

Later in the winter and early spring, I have  Southeast-southwest available, but that's a different mount position . Right now there isn't much stuff going on towards the south. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 17 October 2021 - 05:12 PM.

#12 ntph

ntph

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Sudbury, ON

Posted 17 October 2021 - 05:35 PM

This utterly confuses me. How is it any more difficult re-framing your current target than it is to find a completely different target and frame it? You don't have any computerized mount control... everything is manual.

Also, you're far too young to be getting up multiple times a night (unless it's to go take care of a baby) tongue2.gif

Confuses me, too, so it's either a baby, a puppy or his avatar, or picture or whatever you call it  is a fakelol.gif

• Mike in Rancho likes this

#13 DJL

DJL

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2021 - 07:33 PM

Thanks!  Frankly I'm running out of targets this season.  I'm limited from my vantage point to the northeastern sky.  Any suggestions?

I've imaged BN33, M33, and M31 recently.  Looking for something new.  Considering the Crab Nebula in the morning hours, but need a new evening target.

How about Pleiades? 

#14 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:50 AM

Also, you're far too young to be getting up multiple times a night (unless it's to go take care of a baby) tongue2.gif

I've got a bad back and an injured shoulder - part of the waking multiple times - so I try not to find/frame anything that's higher than 45 degrees in elevation since I have to sight down the tube.  I shoot it until the flip and move on to something lower in the sky because I don't want to contort myself underneath the scope for a meridian flip, and especially not in the wee hours.

• jonnybravo0311 likes this

#15 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:53 AM

Confuses me, too, so it's either a baby, a puppy or his avatar, or picture or whatever you call it  is a fakelol.gif

Nope, that's me.  Soon to be 41.  Feels more like 45 though.  lol.gif

#16 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:42 AM

I've got a bad back and an injured shoulder - part of the waking multiple times - so I try not to find/frame anything that's higher than 45 degrees in elevation since I have to sight down the tube.  I shoot it until the flip and move on to something lower in the sky because I don't want to contort myself underneath the scope for a meridian flip, and especially not in the wee hours.

Sorry to hear about your bad back and injured shoulder. Injuries like those are unpleasant in a best case scenario, and debilitating in the worst. It certainly explains why you don't want to contort yourself trying to frame targets at, or near, the zenith. I have the perfect solution for you... a GOTO mount :p.

In all seriousness, though, I do hope something can be done to help you fix the issues and let you live a pain-free life. You're only 41... you've got a whole lot of life left in front of you :).

#17 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:13 AM

Go To is definitely the way to go.  Hopefully someday soon!  For now though it's quite enjoyable to see how far I can push the SA.  I think I'm close, but don't think I've reached the limit yet.

#18 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:23 AM

Nope, that's me.  Soon to be 41.  Feels more like 45 though.  lol.gif

As Indiana Jones said, "It's not the age - it's the mileage."

• matt_astro_tx likes this

#19 DJL

DJL

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:28 PM

Contorting under a star adventurer is not necessary. Get a right angle viewer for DSLRs (the one I got is out of stock but there are others - https://www.amazon.c...duct/B01M28XX3N) and a 3d printed connecter from ZapWizard on YouTube  -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caEhm344BCg

The same thing will also work for an HEQ5 but with an ASIAIR Pro you won't need it for normal operations.

Best wishes.

Edited by DJL, 18 October 2021 - 08:28 PM.

#20 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 November 2021 - 11:09 AM

Having another go at processing this one since I've got clouds for a few days.

Here's a version reprocessed using Siril 1.0.0rc1 and some star reduction in GIMP.

BN33 Gimp

I'm running another version through Starnet++ now.  Will post when finished.

• mikewayne3, brentknight, Mike in Rancho and 2 others like this

#21 danny1976

danny1976

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2021 - 03:09 PM

Looking good, the update is better.

#22 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:05 AM

Here's the version I ran through starnet++ and processed with some star reduction.  As well as the starless version.

On the whole it just needs more integration time.

BN33 Starnet Processed

BN33 Starless

• ntph, Mike in Rancho and Desertanimal like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics