•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NV filter list

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central NJ

Posted 16 October 2021 - 12:47 PM

I've been doing a lot of reading on NV and based on that, does this filter list look like it will cover my needs at Bortle 7-8 with a PVS14? Besides Baader, are there other comparable manufacturers of these particular filters?

https://www.highpoin...filter-fchaln-2

https://www.highpoin...m-filter-firp-2

#2 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:41 PM

My sky is B8. 

Ha filter: I don't know what this means: CMOS Optimized. The Ha filter I use most is the Astronomik CCD 6nm Ha

IR filter: The Baader 685nm IR is recommended.

If you do handheld or want to see more stars with some nebulosity, the Astronomik 642nm IR is a great filter. Use on:

== Milky Way clouds in hand-held mode

== M42, NGC40, Eskimo, Omega... doesn't show nebulosity for all emission nebula but for some it does. NGC40 and the M57 look good with 642 and M42 looks great.

• Speedy1985 likes this

#3 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:52 PM

My sky is B8. 

Ha filter: I don't know what this means: CMOS Optimized. The Ha filter I use most is the Astronomik CCD 6nm Ha

IR filter: The Baader 685nm IR is recommended.

If you do handheld or want to see more stars with some nebulosity, the Astronomik 642nm IR is a great filter. Use on:

== Milky Way clouds in hand-held mode

== M42, NGC40, Eskimo, Omega... doesn't show nebulosity for all emission nebula but for some it does. NGC40 and the M57 look good with 642 and M42 looks great.

I'm not sure how the CMOS comes in to play as well, but I didn't see any others from Baader in this category other than this "high speed" CMOS version https://www.highpoin...ilter-fchalhs-2

I have since added the 642 IR to my list, I'm just unsure of which brand at this point. 

#4 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

Posted 16 October 2021 - 02:40 PM

Many NV users on here use a Baader 685nm IR, Astronomik 6nm CCD and 642nm IR

Others have the Antila 3.5nm Ha and Baader 7nm Ha 

I live on east coast and the sky is bright so I find the 685, 6 and 642 the three I use the most.

Edited by Mazerski, 16 October 2021 - 02:40 PM.

• Speedy1985 likes this

#5 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 02:51 PM

Many NV users on here use a Baader 685nm IR, Astronomik 6nm CCD and 642nm IR

Others have the Antila 3.5nm Ha and Baader 7nm Ha 

I live on east coast and the sky is bright so I find the 685, 6 and 642 the three I use the most.

OK. Those seem to be the filters of choice, although I'm looking for something a little less costly than the Astronomik.

• DVR06 likes this

#6 stnagy

stnagy

Explorer 1

Posted 16 October 2021 - 05:14 PM

OK. Those seem to be the filters of choice, although I'm looking for something a little less costly than the Astronomik.

What about the Optolong 7nm Ha?

I use it. It works well. 

Edited by stnagy, 16 October 2021 - 05:17 PM.

• careysub and Speedy1985 like this

#7 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2021 - 06:02 AM

I’m in B8-9.

I’ve used both the Baader 7nm and the Astronomik 6nm and I like the 6 better. I eventually sold the 7.

I would suggest the Baader 685 Pass filter in a B7-8 sky

The above filters would be a good start and may be all you need.

Bob

• Speedy1985 likes this

#8 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:57 AM

What about the Optolong 7nm Ha?

I use it. It works well. 

I was wondering about that one as far as quality goes. It does seem attractive at 1/2 the cost of a Baader equivalent and 1/4 the cost of Astronomik. 

I’m in B8-9.

I’ve used both the Baader 7nm and the Astronomik 6nm and I like the 6 better. I eventually sold the 7.

I would suggest the Baader 685 Pass filter in a B7-8 sky

The above filters would be a good start and may be all you need.

Bob

OK, so the 685 pass will be on the list.

As far as Ha, is there a noticable difference between a 6nm and 7nm? I was looking for the Baader 7nm Ha but it looks like it's been discontinued and the 6.5nm I linked above is the replacement. Does that one seem correct, as I'm not sure about the "CMOS optimized" part? They also make 2 versions of that product, one for f/3.5-f/10 and a high speed version for f/1.8 to f/3.4. I'm not sure which I should consider. I'll be using the device in a 12" f/5 dob with a Paracorr2 that effectively makes it f/5.65. If I calculate right, the NVD will make that somewhere around f/2.7, so do I use the high speed version or not? I'm sure the Astronomik is very good, but it's a little over the top cost wise. 

#9 Trentend

Trentend

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2021 - 10:46 AM

Related, I’m yet to find a lightweight solution to hold x5 2” filters. I have a wheel which works but weighs a ton and makes handheld tiring.

#10 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2021 - 12:01 PM

I was wondering about that one as far as quality goes. It does seem attractive at 1/2 the cost of a Baader equivalent and 1/4 the cost of Astronomik. 

OK, so the 685 pass will be on the list.

As far as Ha, is there a noticable difference between a 6nm and 7nm? I was looking for the Baader 7nm Ha but it looks like it's been discontinued and the 6.5nm I linked above is the replacement. Does that one seem correct, as I'm not sure about the "CMOS optimized" part? They also make 2 versions of that product, one for f/3.5-f/10 and a high speed version for f/1.8 to f/3.4. I'm not sure which I should consider. I'll be using the device in a 12" f/5 dob with a Paracorr2 that effectively makes it f/5.65. If I calculate right, the NVD will make that somewhere around f/2.7, so do I use the high speed version or not? I'm sure the Astronomik is very good, but it's a little over the top cost wise. 

In my B8-9 sky, there was a subtle but noticeable difference especially on nebulas that are less bright, with the 6nm adding just a touch more contrast. But once I had the 6, I never used the 7 again. So even though subtle, there was no point in using the 7.

I have no experience with the new offerings, but I would get the filter that more closely matches your FL.

“CMOS optimized” sounds like marking copy. The Baader 6.5nm should work fine with Night Vision, if that’s the one you want.I believe others use the Baader 6.5 and like it.

The Astronomic 6nm is rated down to F3.5, if that helps.

Bob

Edited by bobhen, 17 October 2021 - 12:04 PM.

• Speedy1985 likes this

#11 scoale

scoale

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2021 - 01:47 PM

I have the astronomik 6nm and have been impressed with views both from the telescope and at 1x.  I am viewing from B8 skies w/ a C11 and afocal TV 67 setup which I think puts me at F/4.  I have the 3nm Antlia pro on order, as some folks have reported advantages under light polluted skies - albeit with some star attenuation.  I'm planning on using the 3nm in conjunction with AP .75 reducer and TV 67 setup, which I think will put me at ~ F/3.  Hope this all works!

Best of luck to you.

#12 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2021 - 02:52 PM

In my B8-9 sky, there was a subtle but noticeable difference especially on nebulas that are less bright, with the 6nm adding just a touch more contrast. But once I had the 6, I never used the 7 again. So even though subtle, there was no point in using the 7.

I have no experience with the new offerings, but I would get the filter that more closely matches your FL.

“CMOS optimized” sounds like marking copy. The Baader 6.5nm should work fine with Night Vision, if that’s the one you want.I believe others use the Baader 6.5 and like it.

The Astronomic 6nm is rated down to F3.5, if that helps.

Bob

OK, thank you. I guess 6.5 must be the compromise then. So do I get the one that matches the native FL of the scope at f/5 or the FL with the NVD at f/2.7? 

• DVR06 likes this

#13 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 October 2021 - 05:31 AM

OK, thank you. I guess 6.5 must be the compromise then. So do I get the one that matches the native FL of the scope at f/5 or the FL with the NVD at f/2.7? 

I’m going to take a guess and say for NV use it doesn’t matter. These filters are really made for imagers and long exposure imaging not real-time observing.

However, consider how your scope and optical train is set up. If any reduction in FL (like with a reducer in the optical train) that takes place “before” the filter then that is what matters, and any reduction that takes place “after” the filter will not matter, as that faster light cone will have no impact on the filter.

If this helps…I’ve used the 6nm Astronomik filter at F3.5, F5 F5.25, F7.5, F14, F10 and F20 with no apparent difference in filter performance

Bob

• Speedy1985 likes this

#14 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:11 AM

I’m going to take a guess and say for NV use it doesn’t matter. These filters are really made for imagers and long exposure imaging not real-time observing.

However, consider how your scope and optical train is set up. If any reduction in FL (like with a reducer in the optical train) that takes place “before” the filter then that is what matters, and any reduction that takes place “after” the filter will not matter, as that faster light cone will have no impact on the filter.

If this helps…I’ve used the 6nm Astronomik filter at F3.5, F5 F5.25, F7.5, F14, F10 and F20 with no apparent difference in filter performance

Bob

Ok thank you. So that brings me to an interesting point.

If I use it afocally in the scope, I’d put it in the bottom of the paracorr2, and thus it would be seeing the light at the native f/5. But if I use it hand held on the device at 1x with a filter adapter, it would be at f/1.2. I guess I’ll just save the $10 difference in cost and get the slower one, lol.

#15 stnagy

stnagy

Explorer 1

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:08 AM

Ok thank you. So that brings me to an interesting point.

If I use it afocally in the scope, I’d put it in the bottom of the paracorr2, and thus it would be seeing the light at the native f/5. But if I use it hand held on the device at 1x with a filter adapter, it would be at f/1.2. I guess I’ll just save the $10 difference in cost and get the slower one, lol.

The lens system is f1.2, but you will be putting the filter in front of the lens, right? If so, you don't need to worry about getting a filter for a fast optical system.

The fast filters deal with the sharp light cone coming from the back of the lens / telescope by shifting the bandpass a bit. If the filter is in front of the lens, it's not dealing with the light cone. 

• Speedy1985 likes this

#16 Speedy1985

Speedy1985

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:01 AM

The lens system is f1.2, but you will be putting the filter in front of the lens, right? If so, you don't need to worry about getting a filter for a fast optical system.

The fast filters deal with the sharp light cone coming from the back of the lens / telescope by shifting the bandpass a bit. If the filter is in front of the lens, it's not dealing with the light cone. 

Yes, you’re right. I don’t know why I got hung up on thinking it would be the other way around on the device. 

#17 JAC8

JAC8

Lift Off

Posted 12 November 2021 - 11:12 AM

What filter adapter do folks use for the AB Nightvision Mod 3 Envis 1X objective (has same threads as the TeleVue NV scope). I have the TV adapters 1401 and 1448 that holds my various 48mm filters but the TNV 1401 cuts the effective objective diameter down from 24mm to 15mm, which is a lot. My Ha filter has a clear diameter of 26mm, and this and some other 1.25" filters I would like to use, and with a less-obstructed objective.

#18 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Usually in my optical shop

Posted 12 November 2021 - 11:31 AM

Yes, it is "dealing with the light cone".  You should calculate the effective f/# of a 40-degree wide field of view that the 1X objective sees.

#19 JAC8

JAC8

Lift Off

Posted 12 November 2021 - 12:12 PM

I did find a solution at RAFCamera posted in another Thread:

1x Lenses and 1.25” Astronomy Filters

CN user Eddgie has designed an adapter to use 1.25” telescope filters for 1x viewing. Currently these thread into the PVS-14 thread (1.2” - 32tpi thread). They can be used directly into a PVS-14 or Envis lens (or coupled with an adapter to get equivalent thread, noted in the Computar V2513 description).

https://www.rafcamer...s-to-astro-1-25

The 3x afocal lens attachment (fits over the Envis lens) and M30.3 to M28.5 adapter will hold the 1.25" filters:

Night Vision 3x Afocal Lens Attachment Adapter (37mm clamp to M30.3x0.8)

1.2″-32tpi (M30.3x0.8) to 1.25″ astro filter (M28.5x0.6) adapter for ENVIS lens

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics