•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is anyone else ever having SGP hang them up [and out to dry] ?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 16 October 2021 - 05:01 PM

I think the one thing that had driven me batty for a long time is when SGP will not download a frame. It could be a frame n focus; a plate solve or a sub.

what will happen is it just will not complete the process and eventually I get an error message something like "failed to download." 

This has happened on more than one computer or system and has been a reoccurring them over more than one year. 

Usually I will have to shut down SGP but sometimes the issue is more involved and I will have to restart Windows.

On other occasions when I load SGP and I am on the sequencer and I try to connect to my mount, it crashes the app and I have to end process and start over again. Again, a reoccurring issue that has gone on more than a year or two and has happened on more than one computer and more than one mount. It even happens trying to connect to AP mount.  I click on the connect button in the sequencer and the app hangs up.  this has never been such a problem I just end process and start over again. But since this issue has transcended so many systems I am wondering if these irritating occurrences only happen to me?

attached is a screen grab of a typical occurrence where downloading a frame never gets past this screen.

Attached Thumbnails

• sgp crash.jpg

Edited by Ballyhoo, 16 October 2021 - 05:03 PM.

#2 kathyastro

kathyastro

Soyuz

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 16 October 2021 - 05:18 PM

I have had it hang on me on a few occasions.  It hasn't happened to me since I upgraded my computer's USB drivers, which had been causing all kinds of other mayhem.

• psandelle likes this

#3 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 05:23 PM

I have had it hang on me on a few occasions.  It hasn't happened to me since I upgraded my computer's USB drivers, which had been causing all kinds of other mayhem.

oh, are you using a desktop computer that you can upgrade USB ports?  

#4 kathyastro

kathyastro

Soyuz

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 16 October 2021 - 05:49 PM

oh, are you using a desktop computer that you can upgrade USB ports?  

I don't know about upgrading the ports themselves, but I did need to upgrade the USB software.

#5 Ojaigsguy

Ojaigsguy

Sputnik

• Loc: Ojai, Ca

Posted 22 October 2021 - 10:25 PM

Me too !  After a full system rebuild (New very fast laptop) New CMOS imager, new guide cam.  My PC blue screened and my QSI 683 WSG stopped connecting to SGP.  After reinstall of everything on the new PC, I have tried plate solve without success.  In the past it always ran perfectly, not anymore. After I reinstalled SGP, all related software and drivers.  It will "slew to", which is surprisedly accurate, but it will not do a full plate solve .  Ive made a few changes, unchecked some boxes, uploaded the correct catalogs.  Im baffled .  I have installed the newest (beta) version of SGP.  I can live without it, but is nice to use on multi night imaging sessions.  I may ust use the SGP?Plate SOlve2 slew to function and then dial it in using a previous nights image in The SkyX Pro.  I think that will work, but it takes a lot of time.  I tried PinPoint on the dead laptop, but I was never able to get it work with SGP.  That after paying for it! .

Anyway, if anyone has solved the mystery, please keep me in the loop!

Jeff

#6 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:07 AM

https://software.starkeeper.it/

I switched to Voyager two years ago due to all of the issues I was having with SGP.  Download hangs was one of the big problems. 

All that said, I think it has improved since I abandoned it.  But I can say that Voyager just works..

Edited by ChrisWhite, 23 October 2021 - 08:07 AM.

#7 ryanha

ryanha

Viking 1

Posted 23 October 2021 - 08:57 AM

FWIW, I have had a great time using NINA. I am even using the dev builds with the latest and greatest code and despite imaging maybe 150+ nights in the last year I have never had any imaging issue related to NINA.  

And in terms of support, their discord server is very active and they dev team is quite responsive.

The only issues I have had are as follows (not NINA related):
- When I used the USB 2.0 port on the CEM70 saddle, occasionally I had d/l issues, so now I just plug directly to the USB3.0 port on the mounted PC.  I am confident this has nothing to do with NINA

- One session I found that my filter wheel was not accepting move commands.  The error was not visible until I looked at my subs and they looked like they were with the wrong filter.  Then reading the logs, I did see that the filterwheel changeFilter command failed.  This also is not a NINA issue, though I do think maybe this should be a pop-up warning.

- My USB controlled flat panel occasionally won't switch brightness correctly.  This is very infrequent and has not happened recently, but I do "watch" the flat sequence stats as they are taken just to verify.

--Ryan

• Joe G likes this

#8 StephenW

StephenW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:59 AM

>SGP will not download a frame. It could be a frame n focus; a plate solve or a sub

Usual suspects are underpowered mount (e.g. just powering over USB and not via 12V power supply), bad drivers (do you have the latest ZWO native and ASCOM drivers installed?) or bas USB cable (are you using the cables that came with the camera or some replacements?)

>I try to connect to my mount, it crashes the app and I have to end process and start over again

Can't say I've ever seen this one.  Do you have anything else connected to the mount at the time?   And on your AP mount, which serial-to-USB adapter are you using?

#9 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:18 PM

https://software.starkeeper.it/

I switched to Voyager two years ago due to all of the issues I was having with SGP.  Download hangs was one of the big problems. 

All that said, I think it has improved since I abandoned it.  But I can say that Voyager just works..

So I am not the only one with download hangs?

What is up with a imaging acquisition program with download hangs?

#10 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:25 PM

I think it could be how the capture software and driver utilize USB traffic. I e. There is either a conflict or not. Could also be system dependent. Not all computers, usb ports or cables are created equal.

#11 jdupton

jdupton

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:51 PM

Ballyhoo,

This is often not SGP causing an issue; it is more probable that SGP just cannot recover from an error elsewhere. As Chris points out above, the hang during download is often caused by an error in the USB transfer. Some software may be better at recovering than others but the cause is usually farther upstream from the hanging software.

I can make SGP hang on a download on either my laptop or my NUC if I want it to. The prevention  for me is to lower the USB setting in the ASCOM Driver. I routinely just set it to the lowest allowed value of 40. That prevents the hangs for me. I don't know whether the root cause is in the USB Port driver, the camera device driver, the ASCOM driver, or somewhere else. I have only observed that I can control the frequency of the hangs by changing the USB setting the driver. The highest setting can hang fairly often; the lowest setting has never hung in my set-up.

John

• TimN likes this

#12 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:04 PM

Ballyhoo,

This is often not SGP causing an issue; it is more probable that SGP just cannot recover from an error elsewhere. As Chris points out above, the hang during download is often caused by an error in the USB transfer. Some software may be better at recovering than others but the cause is usually farther upstream from the hanging software.

I can make SGP hang on a download on either my laptop or my NUC if I want it to. The prevention  for me is to lower the USB setting in the ASCOM Driver. I routinely just set it to the lowest allowed value of 40. That prevents the hangs for me. I don't know whether the root cause is in the USB Port driver, the camera device driver, the ASCOM driver, or somewhere else. I have only observed that I can control the frequency of the hangs by changing the USB setting the driver. The highest setting can hang fairly often; the lowest setting has never hung in my set-up.

John

this is good to know so users of Voyager and Nina also suffer from download failures presumably.

#13 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 October 2021 - 05:43 PM

this is good to know so users of Voyager and Nina also suffer from download failures presumably.

The only time I had a problem with Voyager was due to a bad cable.  Otherwise no... its not a common problem with Voyager.  Can't speak to NINA, I have not tried it. 

#14 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 06:17 PM

I've never had a download failure in Voyager.
  • Dereksc and ChrisWhite like this

#15 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 23 October 2021 - 06:19 PM

Same with me.

Peter 

• Dereksc and ChrisWhite like this

#16 Dereksc

Dereksc

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 23 October 2021 - 07:35 PM

Neither have I.

I did have intermittent issues with SGP though, which is one reason I switched over 18months ago.

Regards

Derek

• ChrisWhite likes this

#17 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:08 PM

The only time I had a problem with Voyager was due to a bad cable. Otherwise no... its not a common problem with Voyager. Can't speak to NINA, I have not tried it.

Whoops I lied. I misremembered. My issue was caused by using a zwo image camera at the same time as a zwo guidecamera. I sold the guide camera and bought an ultrastar which fixed all my problems.

Voyager is bullet-proof...
  • Dereksc likes this

#18 ezwheels

ezwheels

Apollo

• Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:10 PM

this is good to know. so users of bad cables and cheap USB hubs suffer from download failures presumably.

FIFU

Edited by ezwheels, 23 October 2021 - 09:10 PM.

#19 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2021 - 01:22 AM

Whoops I lied. I misremembered. My issue was caused by using a zwo image camera at the same time as a zwo guidecamera. I sold the guide camera and bought an ultrastar which fixed all my problems.

Voyager is bullet-proof...

Not sure whether it was you that discussed this w me prior I think it was though....   It is not really possible or practical to have both a ZWO imaging and ZWO guide camera, apparently -- bummer.

But now that I think of this, I think the last one or two sessions using SGP I may not have had any download failures and also the last couple of sessions I had swapped out a primary USB3 cable from imaging camera as that camera just would not connect. I was   So maybe SGP is just really sensitive to cables.

#20 DavidHickey

DavidHickey

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:48 AM

Not sure whether it was you that discussed this w me prior I think it was though....   It is not really possible or practical to have both a ZWO imaging and ZWO guide camera, apparently -- bummer.

But now that I think of this, I think the last one or two sessions using SGP I may not have had any download failures and also the last couple of sessions I had swapped out a primary USB3 cable from imaging camera as that camera just would not connect. I was   So maybe SGP is just really sensitive to cables.

I've been running an ASI1600MM-C for an imaging camera and an ASI290MM-Mini for a guide camera (previously an ASI120MM-Mini) for three years with PHD2 and SGP.  No problems.  I'm using ASCOM for both ZWO cameras.  The guide camera is connected via the short flat factory USB cable into the USB hub on the ASI1600 (as is the filter wheel), then the factory USB3 cable connects to a powered USB3 Hub which in turn connects to a Beelink U57 computer at the bottom of the mount with a short 12" cable.  Prior to using the Beelink U57, it was a laptop connected to the powered USB Hub over a 25' Active USB3 cable.

I had download issues early on and they were solved by setting the USB Traffic to its lowest value (40).  I didn't experiment to try finding exactly where between 40 and 80 it starts going off the rails.  The only times I've had download problems since then are when I install an updated ASCOM driver which tends to default back to 80 and I forget to drop it back to 40, or when I've done something clumsy and gotten Windows unhappy (which usually involves powering off the mount before I've disconnected from EQMOD - that tends to make the system very unhappy and whenever I do that, I just reboot and save myself a lot of grief).

The only reason I use USB3 is for doing planetary captures when I swap out the ASI1600 for an ASI224 and need the bandwidth for the fast captures.  Otherwise I'd just use USB2.  If you're using USB3 you have to respect the fact that it is very sensitive to line loss over long runs and signal integrity in general.  I'd suggest checking the USB Traffic settings and how you're cabled up.

Dave

• Ballyhoo likes this

#21 ezwheels

ezwheels

Apollo

• Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 25 October 2021 - 12:43 AM

You need a larger sample size before you make this assumption. I have run a ZWO290MM mini guide camera with a ZWO 6200M for the last couple of years with zero issues. Never failed to connect, never failed to download subs. This is with NINA so I can not speak of the efficacy in other applications.

Edited by ezwheels, 25 October 2021 - 09:31 PM.

#22 tloebl

tloebl

Ranger 4

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:35 AM

I have noticed that if I disconnect either the guider or main USB cable from the rear of my ZWO camera while SGP is running and then reconnect it  I run into the download problem. Otherwise I have no download issues with the software. 

• Ballyhoo likes this

#23 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 25 October 2021 - 11:52 AM

It is not really possible or practical to have both a ZWO imaging and ZWO guide camera, apparently -- bummer.

This isn't true.  I run a tandem setup with an ASI6200MM, ASI2600MC and ASI174mm-Mini guide camera (running at the same time) with absolutely no problems, including no download issues with SGP.  Note that I am using the ZWO ASCOM driver for the imaging cameras within SGP, and the native ZWO driver for the guide camera in PHD2.  

• rockstarbill likes this

#24 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 25 October 2021 - 12:43 PM

First of all, most of the time when you have occasional download hangs it's the USB topology of your computer or hub that's the problem. Since I don't do planetary imaging, I use only USB2 cables. I have a high quality hub on one system and use the vendor provided USB 2 hubs on all three of my imaging systems. I keep the cabling as short as possible. 

There are also a couple of windows tips that can be helpful. First of all, check your USB power settings to make sure that the hubs in the imaging computer are all set to NOT allow Windows to power off the ports. Second, make sure that you aren't expecting a laptop to provide full power to any of your devices. This is why I use only 12v powered industrial StarTech hubs that can provide full power to every port. Two of these are USB3 and one is USB2. (Still I've stuck to USB 2 cables and simply never get a hang.)

Second, I use two ZWO cameras "all the time". In fact I was using 2 of them last night - an ASI071MC pro and an ASI290 mini guide camera. What you do have to do is make sure that (I use ascom) one is ASICamera1 and the other is ASICamera2. It is possible because I have done it to somehow select both cameras as guide cameras or imaging cameras. (I was using the SKYX at the time.)

So, my advice would be to get rid of any unnecessary USB3 cables, use a quality powered hub (especially if you are using a laptop) and keep the cables short by mounting the hub on the OTA or using a computer at the base of the system. 

#25 Dean J.

Dean J.

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 25 October 2021 - 12:59 PM

This isn't true.  I run a tandem setup with an ASI6200MM, ASI2600MC and ASI174mm-Mini guide camera (running at the same time) with absolutely no problems, including no download issues with SGP.  Note that I am using the ZWO ASCOM driver for the imaging cameras within SGP, and the native ZWO driver for the guide camera in PHD2.  

Yeah, that was bad information.  I have also used a ZWO imaging camera and a ZWO guide camera with SGP and PHD2 for a long time with no problems whatsoever. 

I have also used Amazon Basics USB 3 cables from the imaging camera to my laptop for a long time with no problems. The guide camera, when used, and the filter wheel are plugged into the USB hub on the imaging camera.  You just have to experiment a little and find what works for you.

• ezwheels likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics