•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M33 - 2nd Attempt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 danoon

danoon

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 05:28 PM

This is 2 new nights of data where I used the best 9h44m out of 14h50m.  Compared to my first version which had 13h48m, I feel like see more detail, especially when zooming in something like NGC 602.  That nebula has more structure now.

My star shapes still need a little work, I increased my back focus by 5mm, but I think it was too much.  Some of the stars in the subs looked a little elongated pointing around the center instead of towards the center like my previous work.

In my editing, I decided to add a bit more blue for the arms and saturation.  I'm still trying to figure out what I like as far as processing.  I think I like it more than my whiter version, but I'm not sure (https://www.astrobin.com/0lyurc)

At the end of the 2nd night, it was pretty close to finishing, but failed to make the filter changed.  When I went out to look at the telescope it was just making that horrible buzzing sound of a jammed filter wheel.  This isn't the first time the wheel jammed on me.  I need to figure out if there is a way to adjust the QHYCFW3 to make this less likely.

Full size at https://www.astrobin.com/azqal4/

As always, comments and suggestions welcome.

My Info

Telescope: Stellarvue SVX140T

Camera: QHY600M

Mount: iOptron CEM60EC

Bortal: 5

Blue: 63x120s
Green: 77x120s
Red: 71x120s

Ha: 32x300s

Attached Thumbnails

• M33-2021-Oct-4.jpg

Edited by danoon, 16 October 2021 - 05:39 PM.

• D_talley, mikewayne3, zakry3323 and 7 others like this

#2 imtl

imtl

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 16 October 2021 - 05:40 PM

That 140mm apo is really pulling forward. Excellent stretching. 

#3 zakry3323

zakry3323

Vanguard

• Loc: Fairfield, Westmoreland County, PA

Posted 16 October 2021 - 05:43 PM

I had a filter in my wheel that would jam all the time. I took them all out and spun each filter through one at a time until I found it. Though fully screwing into place, the filter housing was just a hair proud and would catch on the filter wheel housing somewhere. I sanded it down flat with fine sandpaper on plate glass and re-blackened it, no problems after that. 

Finding just the right backspace can be a little frustrating, but that's shaping up to be a really excellent M33! I do agree with you, I like the white-er version on Astrobin a bit more. 

#4 danoon

danoon

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 06:46 PM

That 140mm apo is really pulling forward. Excellent stretching. 

So far I've been pretty happy with ez soft stretch + light room.  Maybe when I get some more experience I will learn to stretch manually to get exactly what I want.

I had a filter in my wheel that would jam all the time. I took them all out and spun each filter through one at a time until I found it. Though fully screwing into place, the filter housing was just a hair proud and would catch on the filter wheel housing somewhere. I sanded it down flat with fine sandpaper on plate glass and re-blackened it, no problems after that. 

Finding just the right backspace can be a little frustrating, but that's shaping up to be a really excellent M33! I do agree with you, I like the white-er version on Astrobin a bit more. 

I opened up the filter and could feel a small resistance when moving it manually where it jammed.    I loosened the center bolt a little, assuming it had to do with tension and put it back together.  We will see how it goes.

Edited by danoon, 16 October 2021 - 07:25 PM.

• zakry3323 likes this

#5 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 16 October 2021 - 11:40 PM

I also like the white version. To me the white versions focus looks better unless the blue versions nebulosity is playing tricks on my eyes..

• danoon likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics