•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

300sec or 600s?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Calzunen

Calzunen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 16 October 2021 - 06:43 PM

I'm planning on shooting sh2 129, and the OIII data is very faint. Is it better to go for longer subs or can I stick with the standard 300s?

Skickat från min VOG-L29 via Tapatalk

#2 imtl

imtl

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 16 October 2021 - 06:46 PM

There is no standard 300s. It depends on the speed of your optics, your camera specs and your LP/dark sky situation.

#3 kathyastro

kathyastro

Soyuz

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:38 PM

If you need the longer subs and your guiding and light pollution situation can handle them, go for it.  My standard for Oiii subs is 900s.

• psandelle likes this

#4 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:27 PM

Mine is 1200s.

But a better approach, that applies to all cameras and scope combinations is to expose as long as you can without clipping too many stars.
  • psandelle and limeyx like this

#5 Calzunen

Calzunen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 17 October 2021 - 02:54 AM

Mine is 1200s.

But a better approach, that applies to all cameras and scope combinations is to expose as long as you can without clipping too many stars.

With narrowband I always clip my stars... I have skywatcher 150pds (f5)...

#6 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2021 - 06:35 AM

With narrowband I always clip my stars... I have skywatcher 150pds (f5)...

You will always clip stars with any filter. The balance is to not clip "too many." People really over think this concept. It doesn't need to be complicated... its not.
  • imtl and limeyx like this

#7 SapperUp

SapperUp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 October 2021 - 12:27 PM

Mine is 1200s.

I wonder, could you maybe take two sets of exposures? One with clipped stars but pulling more detail from nebulae, and a short, maybe 30-60s subs to get nice star colour? Then you can just combine them. I've never done it and wouldn't know how but just a thought.

#8 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2021 - 12:59 PM

I wonder, could you maybe take two sets of exposures? One with clipped stars but pulling more detail from nebulae, and a short, maybe 30-60s subs to get nice star colour? Then you can just combine them. I've never done it and wouldn't know how but just a thought.

You can, but with these ultra low noise cmos cameras that most people are using nowadays you can achieve both in one exposure. Details and star color. You can capture extremely faint details with relatively short exposures.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics