•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telescope Orders

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 curryfire

curryfire

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:14 PM

Had anyone received anything they’ve ordered this year? Looking for some hope….
  • Castor and teashea like this

#2 AhBok

AhBok

Gemini

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:22 PM

Got a Skywatcher EVOSTAR 100ED today! Just came in from star testing and quick peeks at the moon, Jupiter and Saturn. Ordered it Thursday.

Edited by AhBok, 16 October 2021 - 09:23 PM.

• Castor likes this

#3 David I

David I

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:42 PM

Ordered my first scope last week, coming from Amazon in a few days  The SW Evostar 120ED, ......elephant.gif hamsterdance.gif

Edited by David I, 16 October 2021 - 09:43 PM.

• Castor likes this

#4 Herodotus

Herodotus

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:47 PM

Ordered a 8" DOB from optic planet, waited 4 months while they shuffled my ship date back and forth from August to January, cancelled order, ordered a 10" DOB from another place, after 3 weeks they informed me they had accidentally sold it to someone else, cancelled that order and now one been waiting 13 days for Explore Scientific till ship my most current order.......ugh! So you to answer your question, I've had all the problems! Good luck and clear skies!
  • Castor and kenny moses like this

#5 Herodotus

Herodotus

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:49 PM

*sorry for the additional words and typos, auto correct....that's my explanation!

#6 Signal2Noise

Signal2Noise

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 51.0486° N | 114.0708° W

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:50 PM

I too ordered a SW Evostar 80ED which was delayed due to the 0.85x Flattener I ordered along with it. Took over month to receive which was a few days ago.

Every other astro gear I’ve ordered this year shipped on time w/o issues. Might get spotty as we move closer to the big holiday season.

• Castor likes this

#7 Szumi

Szumi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NLP, Michigan

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:55 PM

My Stellarvue 80mm apo took a few months.  I ordered a G11GT at the same time, I still haven't seen it.  I had to wait a month or so for an ASI178MC.  The ASI224MC I just ordered for an allsky camera was in stock.

I bought my C8 Edge and CGEM II right before covid went full bloom.  Got it right away.  Good timing.

• Castor likes this

#8 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:10 PM

Hello curryfire,

Absolutly. I have received many Items that I have ordered including telescopes. Some items I  order, get into the loop and wait it out, other items that I want or need, I will do an Internet search every few days and and sometimes I get lucky and will find what I am after. I will also place wanted adds on CN and Astromart Classifieds, for preowned which is fine by me and have had success here also. These times, the way they are, have taught me to be both proactive and patient. 

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jetgro

Edited by Jethro7, 16 October 2021 - 10:11 PM.

• Castor and kenny moses like this

#9 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:36 AM

Ordered from Amazon a Svbony 102mm f/7 ed refractor got it in about 7days its one really nice scope.

• Castor, LDW47, Jim in PA and 1 other like this

#10 curryfire

curryfire

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2021 - 10:48 AM

Thanks All. I have a edge HD 9.25 and cgx mount on order, but I have a bad feeling that it will be the end of next year before I get them.
  • Castor and Jethro7 like this

#11 Jared b

Jared b

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 October 2021 - 11:19 AM

I only order items that are in stock or with a clear arrival date
  • Castor likes this

#12 Chucke

Chucke

Viking 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 17 October 2021 - 11:20 AM

I ordered a MX+ from Woodland Hills.  Had it in 3 days.  I verfied stock before I ordered though.

• Castor and Jethro7 like this

#13 Delta608

Delta608

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 17 October 2021 - 12:14 PM

I only order items that are in stock or with a clear arrival date

That's helpful.....

• Castor likes this

#14 Jim in PA

Jim in PA

Mariner 2

• Loc: NE PA and Middle of Nowhere, AZ

Posted 17 October 2021 - 02:28 PM

Ordered from Amazon a Svbony 102mm f/7 ed refractor got it in about 7days its one really nice scope.

George, I also bought one of these scopes with the field flattener/focal reducer.  Got it from ebay, which was a little cheaper than Amazon at the time.

Amazon shows 18 of these scopes in stock today, with a package including the FF/FR...US delivery in 2 days if Prime.

It's a great Kunming scope, very good optics, good focuser, etc.  I've been watching this company for awhile and it looks to me that Svbony is setting up US distribution and is probably shipping via air vice sea.  Could be wrong, but that's how it looks.  EDIT:  I have seen these scopes sell out and be restocked in the US several times in the past month.  So they're finding a way to get these scopes here very quickly.

Their service has been great.  If they were to set up a US based support (it appears they might be doing just that) and distribution system, it may help US astronomers overcome the hurdles of our backlogged ports and customs systems.

Edited by Jim in PA, 17 October 2021 - 02:35 PM.

• Castor and Bluesman27 like this

#15 drotto25

drotto25

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2021 - 04:53 PM

I got a 10 inch Dob from Optic Planet 1 month ago about 10 days after ordering.

• Castor likes this

#16 WhatMattHerrs

WhatMattHerrs

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 October 2021 - 05:27 PM

My Stellarvue 80mm apo took a few months.  I ordered a G11GT at the same time, I still haven't seen it.  I had to wait a month or so for an ASI178MC.  The ASI224MC I just ordered for an allsky camera was in stock.

I bought my C8 Edge and CGEM II right before covid went full bloom.  Got it right away.  Good timing.

Seriously! Ordered the same set recently. Was told that they had no projections on the OTA, were currently filling CGEM II orders from 12 months before. 

• Castor and Szumi like this

#17 Shane1200

Shane1200

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Florida

Posted 17 October 2021 - 06:24 PM

I ordered a 127 Mak on Wednesday, Oct. 13  from B&H with a delivery date of Monday Oct. 18. I was on the way back home from an out town trip when I received a email that it was delivered  on Saturday, Oct. 16.  My son was home to take delivery.    

• Castor likes this

#18 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 17 October 2021 - 06:50 PM

Had anyone received anything they’ve ordered this year? Looking for some hope….

I purchased and received several telescopes this year.  I either got them before March or I purchased them from countries other than the US.  Even those sources in other other countries have now pretty much dried up for high quality telescopes.

It may be years before the supply of high end telescopes become regularly available again.  

• Castor likes this

#19 Jim in PA

Jim in PA

Mariner 2

• Loc: NE PA and Middle of Nowhere, AZ

Posted 17 October 2021 - 07:11 PM

I purchased and received several telescopes this year.  I either got them before March or I purchased them from countries other than the US.  Even those sources in other other countries have now pretty much dried up for high quality telescopes.

It may be years before the supply of high end telescopes become regularly available again.  

I've also ordered from Europe this year, as I was acutely aware of the shipping and customs bottlenecks, and the lockdowns in China.  In my own industry (electronics manufacturing), it has become impossible to get various components.  I'll be shutting down my business starting in November for the forseeable future, possibly for a year or more, and I know dozens of manufacturers in several countries that are shutting down or going to reduced, bare-bones staff.

I don't think it will get that bad for telescopes, but I suspect it might.  What worries me more, is the effect on quality of the standard lower-cost astronomy equipment.  I hope it doesn't lead to a Halley's Comet situation, where manufacturers are cranking out and shipping scopes of dubious quality, selling obvious seconds at full price, etc.

I think if I do order any more scopes in the near future, it will probably be for higher end OTA's as demand for their scopes is always high, and they don't seem to give in to the temptation to ship whatever comes off the line, as fast as they can.

Edited by Jim in PA, 17 October 2021 - 07:12 PM.

• Castor, curryfire and teashea like this

#20 Herodotus

Herodotus

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:28 PM

I can say that all lenses and filters I've ordered within the last 6 months have been fulfilled rather quickly. Svbony 10-30 zoom, Svbony 7-21 zoom, oiii filter, celestron 2.3 mm and an assortment of planetary color filters. So someday when my Explore Scientific DOB does arrive I'll be prepared, until then it'll be me and my old trusty ETX70 hitting the sky.
  • Castor likes this

#21 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 17 October 2021 - 11:52 PM

thewave.gif

It's a tough time, but there are in stock items out there from time to time.

5810F164 96B9 482C 9FFA 50D86EC31B2B

• payner, Castor, AhBok and 1 other like this

#22 John SC

John SC

Vostok 1

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:44 AM

I received a SkyWatcher 127 f5 acromat last month, and FedEx is going to deliver a ES 127 Mak Tuesday.  So yes, things are flowing from the manufacturers.

Update - FedEx delivered the box a day early but to my neighbor's house.  Happily I have a great relationship with them and the neighbor met me in the middle of the street with it. It looks like it is otherwise OK.

Edited by John SC, 18 October 2021 - 10:51 PM.

• Castor likes this

#23 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 18 October 2021 - 04:39 AM

Everything I have ordered this year has arrived or is in final transit: 2 Tak scopes, 1 CFF scope, 4 mounts (10M, SW and RainbowAstro, two of which are sold again already), two motor focusers and an assortment of adapters/tilt adjusters and cables. Most of it from Europe, but some US adapters, too. I always check availability before I order, though.

• Castor likes this

#24 teashea

teashea

Gemini

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:43 PM

thewave.gif

It's a tough time, but there are in stock items out there from time to time.

But your photo is of an old telescope - not a new one.

#25 Meterman

Meterman

Mariner 2

• Loc: Alamogordo, NM, USA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:01 PM

They come, many just take a while. I ordered a SkyQuest XX12G from Orion in July, arrived on 9/23. Just have to be patient.
  • Castor likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics