•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter & the Great Red Spot in better than average seeing last night

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:28 PM

Seeing was better than average so I just kept letting it roll for an hour. 20 3 minute frames, 19 of which are pretty good. I dragged the lot into Autostakkert after basic processing and Frame 13 is the best of the lot, so here it is:

gallery_346195_17566_7272.png

And the obligatory animation. Click for full size.

tn_gallery_346195_17566_6118639.gif

Fun fact: Autostakkert has suddenly decided to start debayering images with the wrong pattern, BGGR instead of RGGB, so all my frames initially had blue Jupiters. And before you ask, no, I didn't accidentally switch it to force BGGR; it's correctly identifying the Bayer pattern as RGGB, but that's not what it's actually doing. Who knows. Maybe I'll download a fresh copy.

gallery_346195_17566_66876.png

• Sunspot, stargazer32864, Kenny V. and 26 others like this

#2 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:30 PM

Last Windows update has been reeking havoc with settings on several pieces of my software.  All the keyboard shortcuts disappeared in PaintShop Pro on me.  Little glitches on other software but no blue Jupiter yet.

• Borodog likes this

#3 GSBass

GSBass

Gemini

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:00 PM

Windows 11?

Last Windows update has been reeking havoc with settings on several pieces of my software.  All the keyboard shortcuts disappeared in PaintShop Pro on me.  Little glitches on other software but no blue Jupiter yet.

#4 StarAlert

StarAlert

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:05 PM

Hmm… interesting. The last Windows update hasn’t had any impact on the views through my eyepieces. lol.gif

• JMP and RedLionNJ like this

#5 Bosco_Wiggins

Bosco_Wiggins

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: LA, CA, USA

Posted 17 October 2021 - 01:13 AM

Very nice! Jealous of the seeing conditions, as it has been below average by me for a while now. Do you use an EQ mount? If not, how are you eliminating field rotation in your animated gif? 

• Borodog likes this

#6 Ittaku

Ittaku

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 17 October 2021 - 02:05 AM

Nice one
  • Borodog likes this

#7 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:27 AM

Very nice! Jealous of the seeing conditions, as it has been below average by me for a while now. Do you use an EQ mount? If not, how are you eliminating field rotation in your animated gif? 

Yes, the C11 is on a CGEM.

Nice one

Thanks, Con. That means a lot coming from you. Still not able to touch your images. I stuck with the Ittaku plan of shooting at 30 fps and will be doing so from here on out. Just the difference in file size and processing time alone would dominate any tiny increase in image quality that might be gained from recording 6 times as many noisy frames (which I have never yet seen).

• Ittaku and Bosco_Wiggins like this

#8 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 17 October 2021 - 05:06 PM

That’s a really nice Jupiter. Your animation is excellent. Well done. (I like the blue Jupiter!)
Paul
  • Borodog likes this

#9 Ittaku

Ittaku

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 17 October 2021 - 05:06 PM

Thanks, Con. That means a lot coming from you. Still not able to touch your images. I stuck with the Ittaku plan of shooting at 30 fps and will be doing so from here on out. Just the difference in file size and processing time alone would dominate any tiny increase in image quality that might be gained from recording 6 times as many noisy frames (which I have never yet seen).

You're too kind, but I'm just glad someone found it useful. There are other advantages too, such as being able to do the wide field of view images pretty much the same way, and using cut out only instead of ROI allowing you to track the planet on screen for literally hours without hardly ever nudging your tracking. I actually set up a capture, and walk back inside for half hour in the warmth and then go back out to start a new capture, but you need a camera with a big sensor to get away with this which is why I love the 485.

Yes, the C11 is on a CGEM.

Now that's something I wish I had. Mine on a wedge caused me endless grief for imaging, but I just chose badly when I bought it, not knowing I'd be using it almost 100% for imaging. So I'm stuck working with lesser tracking, annoying field rotation, and not much space for a long imaging train. The only advantage to alt/az is the ease of maintaining the ADC orientation.

• Borodog likes this

#10 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2021 - 10:27 PM

That’s a really nice Jupiter. Your animation is excellent. Well done. (I like the blue Jupiter!)
Paul

Thank you, Paul. Looking at Jupiter in blue is actually really interesting. It make me realize that virtually all of the "color" of Jupiter comes from the red channel.

#11 Foc

Foc

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 18 October 2021 - 02:12 AM

I like the top Jupiter the bestlol.gif ,   Hot Jupiters are getting a bit passé but you seem to have found a novel way of imaging cooler blue ones!  I hope this is not the start of a fresh round of windows gremlins in astrosoftware.

• Borodog likes this

#12 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:32 AM

Windows 11?

Nope. Windows 10

Edited by dcaponeii, 18 October 2021 - 12:33 PM.

• Borodog likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics