•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cone and orthogonal error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EEBA

EEBA

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:13 PM

Good evening folks, I bought a new laptop and installed all software and decided to get rid of all problems . You never do lol. When I try to calibrate, I keep getting orthogonal error last one was 14. I watched a video astroshed and following his steps , I am polar aligned and put plate solving and Polaris is n the center of my chip, but as I lost the RA to make horizontal, I can’t continue to keep Polaris in the frame. I have a ioptron CEM 70 and celestron edge 800 focal length 2032 mm. What. Is an easy way to do it at this focal length my camera is ZWO 533. Thanks

Edited by EEBA, 16 October 2021 - 10:16 PM.

#2 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 17 October 2021 - 12:21 AM

Which software are you using?

I know PHD-2 has a guide graph that can help with this..

As far as getting the mount mechanics straight you can shim the scopes mounting plate, but it will take some time.

BTW  Polaris should not stay in the chip if you rotate the mount in RA

Charles

Edited by TxStars, 17 October 2021 - 12:23 AM.

#3 EEBA

EEBA

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2021 - 01:40 AM

Which software are you using?
I know PHD-2 has a guide graph that can help with this..

As far as getting the mount mechanics straight you can shim the scopes mounting plate, but it will take some time.

BTW Polaris should not stay in the chip if you rotate the mount in RA

I was able to fix the cone error. It took me more than 2 hrs. Putting in taking out the scope adding shims. My mistake was to start with polar alignment. I just centered Polaris in one side pushing the mount to the side to get Polaris in the center of my finder scope. I think I won’t make it perfect using the camera chip. I only did it consider the finder scope . It would take many more hrs to get that accuracy. Now I am gonna try to fix the orthogonal error. I’m assuming is the same procedure just shim the mount in the sides now?

Charles

#4 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 17 October 2021 - 01:08 PM

Just remember that any mirror shift will change how close things can be.

Getting the sensor orthogonal to RA & Dec will help, but can take a bit of time without a rotator.

Having everything 100%  is not needed for things to work, so take time to enjoy yourself.

#5 EEBA

EEBA

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2021 - 04:09 PM

Just remember that any mirror shift will change how close things can be.

Getting the sensor orthogonal to RA & Dec will help, but can take a bit of time without a rotator.

There are a couple videos how to make the RA straight( cone error or up/down ) but I can’t find anywhere how to fix The Dec (orthogonal misalignment) I know you put a shim inside saddle but what is the procedure to see if you are not straight or sideways.
Having everything 100% is not needed for things to work, so take time to enjoy yourself.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics