•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dobsonian sticky azimuth cheap & easy fix (10'' Skywatcher)

Equipment Reflector Mount Accessories
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tomsgate

Tomsgate

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Luxembourg

Posted 17 October 2021 - 03:54 AM

Hi all,

Having recently acquired my very first telescope, a 10'' Newton Dobsonian (Skywatcher classic 250px), I did my initial observation of the moon, Jupiter & Saturn a few days ago and... yeah, my jaw dropped smile.gif Being able to see the rings of Saturn or Jupiter's satellites so clearly was truly mesmerizing! What an experience, to be able to watch planets millions of kilometers away from my backyard. Wow!

Soon enough though, it became clear to me that the mount had an obvious issue: the motion at high magnification was very jerky, mainly on the azimuth axis. Tracking objects was a real chore, especially at high magnification. So I looked online for solutions and found interesting suggestions: a lazy suzan, or a formica layer, even milk carton spacers smile.gif

Of course, as it always goes, it would have been easier to simply ask the missus, I should know that by now: mine happens to know everything wink.gif Anyway, the answer for me was in her kitchen tools, and more specifically the chopping department:

Ikea sells these very convenient chopping boards made of thin plastic, of which one side is textured. 1.25€ for two boards, 28x36cm, one grey and one turquoise. I bought 2 packs, should have bought 3 for color matching but whatever. After some cutting with a sturdy pair of scissors or an exacto knife, and combined with 4 teflon furniture pads, I now have a perfectly smooth azimuth, with just the right amount of stiction! The upgrade doesn't just make it better, it makes it perfect!

https://www.ikea.com...uoise-30335898/

For astronomy, all you need is the missus and Ikea...

Thomas.

P_20211016_231914.jpg

P_20211017_002546.jpg

P_20211017_004209.jpg

• Bill Jensen, izar187, tturtle and 1 other like this

#2 kcoles

kcoles

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: western Pennsylvania, US

Posted 17 October 2021 - 05:47 AM

Wow! You may be starting a new trend in telescope engineering. Folks are always looking for substitutes for discontinued laminates to use as bearings. Clear skies and congratulations.

Ken

• Tomsgate likes this

#3 Tomsgate

Tomsgate

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Luxembourg

Posted 17 October 2021 - 06:09 AM

Thanks Ken!

I had actually been looking to get the formica but there was no way to get it where I live, at a reasonable price anyway...

I found so much good advice here, so it sorta felt right to share this little trick I found with fellow stargazers ;)

Clear skies to you too!

Thomas

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Reflector, Mount, Accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics