•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

William Optics binoviewer used with a C8

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mondo1948

mondo1948

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Westbrook, Connecticut

Posted 17 October 2021 - 10:45 AM

Hello Astronomers,

First, I should tell you that I have the WO binoviewer and have used it with my Sky Watcher 100 ED refractor.  In order to come to focus, I had to use a 1.25" diagonal and originally placed the 1.6 oca that is provided with the bino in front of the diagonal, in order to focus.  I then discovered that Agena Astro sells a 2x OCA that is made to attach directly to the bino and focus can be achieved.  Naturally I bought it.  However, I still needed to use a 1.25" diagonal.

I have recently acquired a C8 and wonder if the bino will work with a 2" diagonal that I want to use, in order to accommodate 2" eyepieces in the C8.  Do you know if I will be able to come to focus with the 2" diagonal, using either the 1.6 OCA or 2x OCA attached to the bino?  I'm hoping I don't have to switch back and forth from a 1.25" or 2" diagonal, especially because I've bought a 2" click lock visual back for the C8.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide,
Mondo

#2 doug mc

doug mc

Viking 1

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:05 PM

I have had a C8 and had no problems reaching focus with a similar binoviewer and those OCAs you have. The 2 inch diagonal I have is a GSO SCT dielectric.  This type of diagonal screws directly to the two inch thread on the back of your scope enabling a shorter light path.  Still, if you have a  standard diagonal, you will reach focus,  no problems. 

#3 jprideaux

jprideaux

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 07:45 PM

Note, though, that the WO BV is only for 1.25” eyepieces. You probably can reach focus using the 2” diagonal because the CST with the moving mirror focus is more tolerant of inward focus.

#4 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:14 PM

Hello Astronomers,

First, I should tell you that I have the WO binoviewer and have used it with my Sky Watcher 100 ED refractor.  In order to come to focus, I had to use a 1.25" diagonal and originally placed the 1.6 oca that is provided with the bino in front of the diagonal, in order to focus.  I then discovered that Agena Astro sells a 2x OCA that is made to attach directly to the bino and focus can be achieved.  Naturally I bought it.  However, I still needed to use a 1.25" diagonal.

I have recently acquired a C8 and wonder if the bino will work with a 2" diagonal that I want to use, in order to accommodate 2" eyepieces in the C8.  Do you know if I will be able to come to focus with the 2" diagonal, using either the 1.6 OCA or 2x OCA attached to the bino?  I'm hoping I don't have to switch back and forth from a 1.25" or 2" diagonal, especially because I've bought a 2" click lock visual back for the C8.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide,
Mondo

I have a C8 and WO and no need for an OCA or barlow to get to focus. BUT, be warned that if you use a 2" diagonal you will had a lot of extra focal length to the optical path. Instead of being a f/2000mm it will be more like a f/2800mm scope. For that reason you want to use the 1.25" to keep the shortest light path.

I went to the extreme, bought a 1.25" Baader diagonal and an adapter to do a direct attachment to the tube and eliminate even the nose piece from the BV! If you have a newer WO you might not be able to remove the nose as a I heard that don't unscrew any more as they now glue them in. Have fun, BV is an awesome way to view the moon and plantes and even brighter DSO's.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics