•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

California Nebula NGC 1499, Sh2-220

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 17 October 2021 - 01:28 PM

This is an image of the California Nebula (NGC 1499, LBN 756, Sh2-220) central area. It also encompasses part of the large area of nebulosity (LBN 752 - faintest LBN class) which is about twice as large as NGC 1499. The California Nebula's emission is energized by Menkhib (Xi Persei). It is not in the image but located out of frame in the lower right of the image. This image is a modified HOO with RGB stars. Its about 11 hours of total exposure.

in the vicinity are dark nebulae LDN 1462, 1463, 1464 and the small molecular cloud PGCC G159-12.31. Interestingly, the galaxy, IC 2005, shines through the emission glow of NGC 1499. It is part of a three member galaxy group, HDC 259 - all three members are visible in the image. I would not have these in the image if it wasn't for the RGB data - they are overwhelmed and hardly seen in the narrow band data.

Image and details can be accessed at the link below (or by clicking on the California Nebula thumbnail below). The annotated image has a link below but it can also be accessed from the main image webpage as well. The full FOV image can be accessed from the image webpage and has an image scale of 1.82 arcsec/pixel.

NGC1499_FSQ_PI2_AF1_Crp_small.jpg

California Nebula

Annotated Image:
California Nebula Annotated

Scope: FSQ-106N at f/5
Camera: ASI1600M (Astronomik Gen 2 Ha, OIII, RGB Filters)

• rwstanley, Joe F Gafford, buckeyestargazer and 22 others like this

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 17 October 2021 - 02:22 PM

Hi Jim- That's a beautiful wall of colour. I've not seen many images of this target- so its quite refreshing to see something new. Well done and great processing.

• Jim Thommes likes this

#3 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:13 AM

Hi Jim- That's a beautiful wall of colour. I've not seen many images of this target- so its quite refreshing to see something new. Well done and great processing.

Thanks for the comment. I probably spent as much time processing as I did for collecting the data.

• pyrasanth likes this

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:45 PM

Howdy, neighbor :)

That's the most O3 I've seen an a California nebula image.  I had no idea there was that much there!  Thanks for surprising me.

• Jim Thommes likes this

#5 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 18 October 2021 - 03:21 PM

Very nice NGC 1499 Jim! I like the blue OIII!

• Jim Thommes likes this

#6 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2021 - 09:11 AM

Howdy, neighbor smile.gif

That's the most O3 I've seen an a California nebula image.  I had no idea there was that much there!  Thanks for surprising me.

Very nice NGC 1499 Jim! I like the blue OIII!

Paul, Mike,

Thanks for the comments. You may have noticed from the technical data that I exposed OIII at a higher gain than Ha (240 vs 179) on my older ASI1600.  I thought I would get a weak signal OIII with this camera. It turned out fairly strong at those settings. For me, the mix of OIII and Ha in my processing can be somewhat subjective as well.

• elmiko and OldManSky like this

#7 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 22 October 2021 - 02:50 AM

Very nice rendition Jim, have not seen another image of this nebula showing the OIII soo well.

And your annotated image is great!

Edited by Mert, 22 October 2021 - 03:10 AM.

• Jim Thommes likes this

#8 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2021 - 06:39 PM

Very nice rendition Jim, have not seen another image of this nebula showing the OIII soo well.

And your annotated image is great!

Thanks Mert. Yeah, the OIII was exposed ay a higher gain and treated with a little more stretch in the processing.

On the annotation, I was somewhat surprised to see the presence of some galaxies and a bit more surprised to see that they came through on RGB data. I didn't check for any Quasars, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some. They probably wouldn't be visible though since the RGB was for star color and not very deep.

#9 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 23 October 2021 - 09:14 AM

Great image!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics