•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Power Distribution fuse help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 diver66

diver66

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2021 - 01:33 PM

Hello All,
I did a thing and built a small passive power distribution box for my QHY183C Camera, Filterwheel and Stellarmate:

IMG_0068.jpg

my question is what size fuses do I use?  evidently the manual for the QHY camera says that the power supply must be rated at least 3.5A.  The Stellarmate lists a minimum of 3A.  The filter wheel needs a 2.5A supply.  Should I use 5A fuses or do I need something higher?

Many thanks in advance

Edited by diver66, 17 October 2021 - 01:34 PM.

#2 kathyastro

kathyastro

Soyuz

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 17 October 2021 - 01:43 PM

Your fuse size should be determined by the wire size.  The job of the fuse is to keep the wire from overheating and starting a fire.  The fuse size needs to be more than the current draw of the device, and less than the capability of the wire.

If you are using a separate fuse for each device, a 5A fuse will be enough for each one.  You want it to be bigger than the expected current draw, to prevent nuisance blown fuses, but not so big that it isn't protecting anything.

• jdupton, Bob4BVM, silios and 1 other like this

#3 diver66

diver66

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2021 - 02:12 PM

Makes perfect sense. Thanks!!

#4 don clement

don clement

Vendor (Clement Focuser)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Running Springs, California

Posted 17 October 2021 - 11:03 PM

As long as the power delivered isn't an inductive load use a regular fuse close to the maximum current draw will work. Don't make the fuse too much larger than the expected current draw or your fuse could become a fuze.

• diver66 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics