•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Software Questions for EQM-35 Astrophotography

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JohnEH

JohnEH

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2021 - 09:58 PM

Hi, 

I just got a Skywatcher EQM-35 and I am getting it set to work with my PC.  

I have the following programs installed: 

EQMOD 

ASCOM 

Stellarium 

SharpCap Pro 

PHD2 

Polemaster

I have the following equipment: 

EVOstar 72 Scope 

SVbony 30mm guidescope

Polemaster 

Olympus OMD 5 Mark iii

EQM-35 mount w Syncscan  

I have managed to get EQMOD and Stellarium running together (just did a test run inside and it connects and slews). 

Questions: 

1) Is sidereal tracking for deepsky photography enabled in Stellarium or in eqmod directly?

2) Once a target is selected will my mount just continue to track it via the selection I made in Stellarium?

3) How important is star alignment if I have polar aligned my mount accurately through polemaster or SharpCap?

4) Do I need to sync the park position of my mount after I polar align?  

5) If star alignment is necessary, what is the protocol for that now that I have taken the syncscan remote out of the equation? Is that something that I would want to do utilizing my guide scope and a program outside of Stellarium as Stellarium only interfaces with my mount?

6) If I am tracking through Stellarium and I want to guide through PHD2, is it as simple as just starting up PHD2 and starting guiding (I already have my guide scope working w PHD2)? 

7) Final question, is there a front end program out there that runs Stellarium (or something like), PHD2, SharpCap, and eqmod out of one interface? 

Hoping to get a good workflow sorted out so I do not waste the few cloud free nights I will have in the coming months.  

John 

Edited by JohnEH, 17 October 2021 - 10:03 PM.

#2 troske

troske

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Albany, NY

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:40 AM

EQMOD will go to tracking mode after slewing and your mount should, in theory, continue to track the object. Once it is tracking, you should be able to start guiding with PHD.

I think the next step will be to configure plate solving. Stellarium will get you close, but the target will likely be off by a degree or more. SharpCap has an interface that will connect to plate solving software such as ANSVR.  With plate solving, you will not need to worry about star alignment using the hand controller. Once the plate solver centers the target, it should sync that location with Stellarium to improve your GoTo performance.

For Windows, I would look into NINA, a free sequencing program that will bring the needed programs together in one screen. A lot of people like Sequence Generator Pro, but it is not free. I do not use either one, but there are lots of tutorials out there.

Tim

#3 JohnEH

JohnEH

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 10:10 AM

Hey Tim,

Thank you very much for the reply. All that info is really helpful. I will take a peak at those programs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics