•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So I am noticing that AB images are getting better and better

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 17 October 2021 - 11:40 PM

I wonder whether anyone else is noticing just how superb now many of the images on Astrobin are on the homepage and featured images.   I am not sure of it is just me or this community is getting better and better. But it is a treat now to land on AB and just check out the latest images.  I am quite sure that many images that a year or two prior would be candidates for the AB image of the day are now common featured images on the homepage.

Edited by Ballyhoo, 17 October 2021 - 11:41 PM.

#2 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:10 AM

In other news, the Earth is round. lol.gif wink.gif

• SeymoreStars likes this

#3 psandelle

psandelle

Soyuz

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:14 AM

β€œNo it’s not!”

β€” Kyrie Irving

• rockstarbill, Bryanbruin, ezwheels and 2 others like this

#4 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:16 AM

well why do you suppose the images are getting better? The community is getting stronger but I have noticed within the last 12 months there has been big improvement. 

edit

I don't think there has been a flood of great equipment. This great field is I think garnering a lot of interest world-wide more than ever before I would say. 

Edited by Ballyhoo, 18 October 2021 - 12:23 AM.

#5 oatmeal

oatmeal

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sonoma County, CA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:26 AM

Some people became obsessed during lockdown/stay-at-home and had a lot more free time than they were used to

• psandelle likes this

#6 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:30 AM

well why do you suppose the images are getting better? The community is getting stronger but I have noticed within the last 12 months there has been big improvement. 

edit

I don't think there has been a flood of great equipment. This great field is I think garnering a lot of interest world-wide more than ever before I would say. 

ABin has had excellent data on it for years. Abin also has really bad data on it as well. I know, I do submissions for image of the day there and my daily queue often times has nothing but bad stuff in it.

#7 JamesTX

JamesTX

Viking 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 18 October 2021 - 01:22 AM

Purely anecdotal here.. but I do think it's gotten easier in the past few years. 

• More automated tools/scripts are available
  • A lot of resources... the hobby has grown for sure.  When I started.. there were fewer tutorials available.. only a couple of youtube channels..
  • Lots of information sharing.  I can tell you my local club has grown.. and the quality of images from all the active members has elevated significantly over the past 12 months.
  • Equipment absolutely matters.. but you can't buy your way to better images.. so individual skill in acquisition (to include TSing) and post processing matter more IMHO.  I feel my own skill has improved over the past year.

ABin has had excellent data on it for years. Abin also has really bad data on it as well. I know, I do submissions for image of the day there and my daily queue often times has nothing but bad stuff in it.

I hope none of mine were in the queue on those days, lol.

• Joe F Gafford, psandelle and rockstarbill like this

#8 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:05 AM

Membership has increased dramatically, and with the advent of better cameras and optical systems, let's just say that the signal:noise ratio has increased substantially. 

The Top Pick / IOTD judging process now involves scrutinizing images at pixel level, because there's simply no way to spot an "excellent" image from a thumbnail any more.  The definition of "excellent" has changed quite a bit since I joined Astrobin in 2013.  Many older IOTDs would not even get nominated for Top Picks, never mind receive a Top Pick, these days.

• psandelle, sgtusmc and f300v10 like this

#9 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:50 AM

There are a lot of folks now imaging remotely, either with their own equipment or top notch rent-a-scopes under the darkest of dark skies. Many more so than five years ago. I think this is a big part of it.

Derek

• psandelle and yashob100 like this

#10 nebulasaurus

nebulasaurus

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mostly Cloudy New Hampshire

Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:46 AM

It's more an oblate spheroid really laugh.gif

• psandelle and OldManSky like this

#11 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:47 AM

It's more an oblate spheroid really laugh.gif

The Earth needs to fix it's tilt problem. πŸ˜‚
  • nebulasaurus, happylimpet and SeymoreStars like this

#12 Enance42

Enance42

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alton Il.

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:08 PM

Well they say practice makes perfect.

#13 f430

f430

Viking 1

• Loc: La Mesa, CA.

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:17 PM

PixInsight........

And all the on-line tutorials.

• Benschop likes this

#14 sgtusmc

sgtusmc

Vostok 1

• Loc: Mentor, Ohio

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:17 PM

Me too.  Especially lately.  I have had more days where every image in my queue gets deleted than any other time this year.  I mean really bad.  Out of focus, really bad processing to where there are green stars, major overuse of Topaz Denoise.  It's been bad.

• psandelle and rockstarbill like this

#15 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted 18 October 2021 - 01:07 PM

The Earth needs to fix it's tilt problem.

The Earth went on tilt after it lost a huge poker hand to Mars.  I mean, c'mon, Mars had 2 outs.  flame.gif

About the bad images in your review queues on Astrobin - they are probably still better than what won IOTD in 2014.

• psandelle, sgtusmc and rockstarbill like this

#16 WadeH237

WadeH237

Cosmos

• Loc: Ellensburg, WA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 01:56 PM

It's more an oblate spheroid really laugh.gif

Dang!

I just saw the thread and was going to say that if nobody else beat me to it...

• nebulasaurus likes this

#17 WadeH237

WadeH237

Cosmos

Posted 18 October 2021 - 02:08 PM

well why do you suppose the images are getting better?

I think that there are several factors.

Camera technology is improving in leaps and bounds.  I've been using an ASI1600MC Pro, one shot color, camera for the last few months and I am absolutely astounded at how good it is.  It's my second CMOS camera.  My first was an ASI1600MM-cool.  The 2600 just kills it in every performance category that you care to mention.  I'm still using CCD for my mono work (a QSI 690) and have been happy with it.  But I suspect that the mono version of the ASI2600 or ASI2600 would simply embarrass it.

The camera improvements affect just about every part of image capture and processing.  Since noise has gotten so low, you can get great data with much shorter subs than older cameras.  This relieves some demands on the mount.  And processing clean data is just easier than processing data that needs lots of help.

Beyond the gear, I think that techniques are improving considerably.  Part of this is due to the internet.  It is so easy to share with other folks of like mind, that it's much easier than it used to be to learn how to up your game, especially at the high end, once you start getting pretty good at it.  In the last 2 years, COVID has done a couple of things.  First, it's given people more spare time.  This (along with supplier and logistics issues) has made it harder to buy new gear), but it's made it so that people are probably spending more time on their hobbies than they did.  The second effect is that pushing large masses of people to work remotely has introduced more people to online communities.  This has improved both discoverability and the quality of online discussion and other real time interaction.

And finally, we should expect the quality of completed images to continually improve.  Why would they not?  If people find something that improves their result, they will do more of it.  If they try something that makes the results worse, they will stop doing it (and may never even post an affected image, so you won't see it).  The trend over time is only to get better.

• TrustyChords likes this

#18 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 07:56 PM

There are a lot of folks now imaging remotely, either with their own equipment or top notch rent-a-scopes under the darkest of dark skies. Many more so than five years ago. I think this is a big part of it.

Derek

The concept of renting a remote telescope is interesting. But I just love having my own gear and struggling through everything; braving the cold, or mosquitos; lifting lots of heavy gear; wondering why why why my subs are elongated. Or driving miles to dark-sites, to arrive just has the fog rolls in (and after you finish setting up).. Come to think of it wouldn't someone have to be nuts to rent out a remote telescope and miss all the fun?

Edited by Ballyhoo, 18 October 2021 - 07:57 PM.

• elmiko likes this

#19 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:05 PM

The concept of renting a remote telescope is interesting. But I just love having my own gear and struggling through everything; braving the cold, or mosquitos; lifting lots of heavy gear; wondering why why why my subs are elongated. Or driving miles to dark-sites, to arrive just has the fog rolls in (and after you finish setting up).. Come to think of it wouldn't someone have to be nuts to rent out a remote telescope and miss all the fun?

I agree one hundred percent. But there eventually comes a point, after doing this for over ten years, where you realize that your images will not get any better due to limitations in sky conditions and aperture. And then you you look at that last Astrobin image of the day shot with the 1 meter RC Chilescope in the Andes …

Derek

• psandelle, elmiko, yashob100 and 1 other like this

#20 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:58 PM

well this is a hobby and people need to do whatever pleases them.

• schmeah and nebulasaurus like this

#21 Benschop

Benschop

Viking 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 October 2021 - 10:11 PM

Images are improving for a myriad of reasons... but of all the reasons...I think the most consequential are both superior processing software, and faster computers / more memory.

• psandelle likes this

#22 licho52

licho52

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 October 2021 - 10:34 PM

Say what you want but there's the underlying vanity factor at work, people don't image for themselves or for the sake of the image but "let's try to get IOTD on AB!"  They throw time and money to get those likes.

It just drives people in a slightly unhealthy way, sort of a Facebook for AP community.

I know, unpopular opinion and all, but that's the vibe I am getting lately.

• schmeah, lambermo, happylimpet and 2 others like this

#23 yashob100

yashob100

Sputnik

Posted 19 October 2021 - 12:51 AM

Say what you want but there's the underlying vanity factor at work, people don't image for themselves or for the sake of the image but "let's try to get IOTD on AB!"  They throw time and money to get those likes.

It just drives people in a slightly unhealthy way, sort of a Facebook for AP community.

I know, unpopular opinion and all, but that's the vibe I am getting lately.

I have to agree. I signed up on AB so that other astrophotographers could see my work but the "algorithm" is all about likes and exposure. The same people get pushed to the main page and tonnes of good images are drowning in the noise.  Sad really.

#24 WadeH237

WadeH237

Cosmos

Posted 19 October 2021 - 09:28 AM

Say what you want but there's the underlying vanity factor at work, people don't image for themselves or for the sake of the image but "let's try to get IOTD on AB!"

That is a seriously broad generalization.

Personally, I do this for myself, and myself only.  I don't care about recognition and I don't even post the vast majority of my stuff.  Pretty much the only reason that I post anything to Astrobin is that my wife likes to see them and share them with her family and friends.  Despite that, I still strive to keep improving.

Sure, I am just a sample of one, but I also have lots of friends that are also astrophotographers, and none of them do this to pursue recognition.

• Gregory, psandelle, nebulasaurus and 3 others like this

#25 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2021 - 12:19 PM

Also I would like to point out that many of the currently featured images on AB landing page list equipment that is commonly used by members of CN, IE your standard, if not premium-standard fare of gear. No doubt many would like to reach the level of an image of the day or gather some some fan fare.  There is nothing illegal or immoral about that as far as I can see this is a hobby after all. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics