•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Filter cleaning recommendation

Filters
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Walter T

Walter T

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oswego, IL. USA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:34 AM

Hello everyone, 

I ordered an Astrodon LRGB filter set from Farpoint and when I took them out of the tamper-proof sealed container I found that they were covered in some sort of particles.  These won't blow off with my rocket blower or even with my air compressor (I have a filter on it).  I've tried 91% isopropyl alcohol and Kimwipes and can't get them clean without leaving streaks.  All of the cleaning tutorials I've seen only address unmounted filters which don't have a metal ring around them to get on the way.  Any recommendations?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0029.JPG
  • IMG_0030.JPG

Edited by Walter T, 18 October 2021 - 12:40 AM.

#2 TheSheriff

TheSheriff

Ranger 4

• Loc: Duck Football Country

Posted 18 October 2021 - 03:07 AM

Well, that has to be extremely disappointing!  I know it's a pain, but I'd being tempted to return them... that's just wrong.

You said you can't get them clean without streaking.  I assume that means the spots could be removed?  Clean them several times, perhaps the streaks are residue from the spots?  Or use another non-streaking optical cleaner.  I have always used Dr. Clays DIY solution with great success.

http://arksky.org/asoclean.htm

#3 astrokeith

astrokeith

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 18 October 2021 - 03:18 AM

First, if you are keeping them, get rid of that foam packaging. It will continue to moult and produce 'dirt'.

Cleaning mounted optics can be very difficult. The metal work may well have manufacturing residue on it.

I would unmount the filters and separately clean the glass and metal work, but get a proper tool first to unscrew the rings.

• OldManSky likes this

#4 terry59

terry59

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 05:55 AM

I would use isopropyl alcohol, a bulb blower and pec pads. If you blow the alcohol before it dries it won't streak. If, for whatever reason, you still have streaks, use dish soap

#5 Walter T

Walter T

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 06:55 AM

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I would return them but I have already returned them once for refitting because the first time I received the set one of the filters' retaining ring was off in the box and two others were rattling in their casing.  They did refit them and send the same set back to me.  This whole ordeal has already taken about a month and I just want to use my filters already.

I have tried the isopropyl and Purosol and they are both able to clean the particles and gunk.  But the reason they leave steaks is because the metal rim is on the way so I can't wipe all the way to the edge so there's always a smudge wherever I lift my finger.  I was afraid of this but it seems that the best option is to unmount them as Keith suggested and then clean them and the metal work either with the alcohol or a cleaning solution as suggested by Brad.  I was hoping there was a 'magic' liquid I could just dip 'em into it and they would come out clean :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0031.JPG

#6 TheSheriff

TheSheriff

Ranger 4

• Loc: Duck Football Country

Posted 19 October 2021 - 03:51 AM

Wow!

I would think your supplier would have double-checked what they were sending you after you already returned the first set.  Really no excuse for either of those issues.

#7 asanmax

asanmax

Vendor - DSLR Modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 19 October 2021 - 12:32 PM

I guess that's not really what you expected to receive. I would also be disappointed.

But don't worry, there is a couple of ways to clean those filters. I'll speak from my experience as I do this daily.

Alcohol will almost always leave streaks no matter how you apply it and if you blow it right off.

If you want to clean the filters mounted, then you can do that without the use of alcohol. 

Blow everything you can using a rubber blower or a compressed air, very carefully.

You will then need a clean microfiber cloth. Start by gently wiping the filter glass to remove the stubborn particles. Make sure you always use different parts of the cloth.

Once all the dust/residue specks are removed, you can add a tiny little drop of pure distilled water to the cloth (not to the filter) and and start gently wiping the surface of the filter reducing the pressure slowly.

Keep doing this until the surface of the filter is completely dry.

This will typically remove all the residue that's left after cleaning with alcohol.

If this doesn't help, you will have to remove the filters and clean them using soapy water and then washing them under distilled water.

The only thing you should note before removing the glass is what side is AR coating is on. 

Edited by asanmax, 19 October 2021 - 12:34 PM.

#8 Walter T

Walter T

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:23 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I gave it another attempt to clean them tonight and spent the last four hours trying the different methods without success (provably just beyond my capabilities, no doubt these methods have worked for you guys).  Blowing on the alcohol before it dried worked about 95%, but the edges of the 'wipe' and the last tiny drop of where I lifted the kimwipe always left residue.  I tried the drop of distilled water on a kimwipe, because I don't have any microfiber cloths, and could not avoid leaving streaks. I then got a small plastic spatula to unscrew the metal ring and unmounted the filters one at a time and wiped them with a solution of a cup of water with one drop of dish soap and then rinsed them with distilled water.  That got them very clean but as soon as they dried they hazed up.  At this point I give up and honestly I don't think I should have to go through all that trouble with a brand new set of premium filters.  I just sent Farpoint a refund request, hopefully my cleaning attempts won't be an issue with them.

• TheSheriff and asanmax like this

#9 terry59

terry59

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:12 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I gave it another attempt to clean them tonight and spent the last four hours trying the different methods without success (provably just beyond my capabilities, no doubt these methods have worked for you guys).  Blowing on the alcohol before it dried worked about 95%, but the edges of the 'wipe' and the last tiny drop of where I lifted the kimwipe always left residue.  I tried the drop of distilled water on a kimwipe, because I don't have any microfiber cloths, and could not avoid leaving streaks. I then got a small plastic spatula to unscrew the metal ring and unmounted the filters one at a time and wiped them with a solution of a cup of water with one drop of dish soap and then rinsed them with distilled water.  That got them very clean but as soon as they dried they hazed up.  At this point I give up and honestly I don't think I should have to go through all that trouble with a brand new set of premium filters.  I just sent Farpoint a refund request, hopefully my cleaning attempts won't be an issue with them.

That sounds frustrating. The thing you are lacking, as you said, is a microfiber cloth. Pec-Pads are indispensable when I clean my filters

#10 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:24 AM

I don't own the Astrodons, so perhaps my suggestion isn't possible...

When I owned 1.25" Antlia filters, I could take the filter housing apart to get at the glass. I could then clean the glass alone and re-install into the housing. It was delicate work to be sure... and you might not be comfortable pulling apart the filters - and I'm not sure what, if any, impact doing so would have on any warranty.

Anyway... food for thought.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics