•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 1232

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Aurora

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 18 October 2021 - 01:17 AM

NGC 1232, an angular armed spiral in Eridanus. I shot a singular luminance version of this in 2003 at Chiefland, FL over the Tampa light dome. This was taken at the Okie-Tex 2021 on 10-5-2021, 7:08 UT. 18" F/4.5 with an SBIG ST-2000XM CCD camera. 20 minutes LRGB with 5 minute subs. 

NGC1232Dc_smWeb.jpg

Joe

• Ptarmigan, Gregory, Mert and 16 others like this

#2 MHamburg

MHamburg

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:58 AM

Nice image. I bet you can stretch it a bit further. Do you see any indication of star trailing or something else that might be making your stars slightly elongated?

Michael

• Joe F Gafford likes this

#3 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:10 AM

I love this rarely imaged galaxy.  It's like a cousin of M74, but with an extra appendage attached to it.  I shot some luminance on it when I lived in Texas.  It's too low in the sky to image it in LRGB from New York where I live now.

#4 sabant

sabant

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2021 - 10:26 AM

Very nice, especially considering the short exposure you didn't overdo it.

#5 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Aurora

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 18 October 2021 - 03:28 PM

Nice image. I bet you can stretch it a bit further. Do you see any indication of star trailing or something else that might be making your stars slightly elongated?

Michael

A southern galaxy with the wind from the south and the portable dome shuttered on top and bottom door in place, some wind trailing. Also the 18" has the old worm driver motors and electronics installed that has a tiny backlash that gives Saturn stars, not in this session. The newer direct drive was failing before it did as the clutch knob was turning the rollers when tightening and vice versa causing the dual motors in the gearboxes to run quick causing problems with the motors and the electronics. This two months is the first time I have this drive with a CCD camera besides the ST-4 running off of DOS. The motor affected is no longer available and the driver chip/shift register will be replaced just for giggles to see if that operates the motor properly.

Meanwhile I got these other important stuff at home and at the DSS to get out of the way, including a health threat I have more pending tests scheduled to do later this week. That may disable me physically for awhile as doctors tend to do in my situation. As for stretching and smoothing, I tried that and it got too garish and/or too cottony as I seen with the other image entries here and elsewhere. I need more images of this here I can do at the DSS here. I have to do with this old camera and my two 1980's telescopes and mounts. Bear with me. Consider this object shown a challenge! 

Joe

Edited by Joe F Gafford, 18 October 2021 - 03:32 PM.

#6 MHamburg

MHamburg

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 19 October 2021 - 10:23 AM

Best of luck to you in all your issues!

Michael

#7 BKMaynard

BKMaynard

Messenger

• Loc: Maryville, Il. (st.louis area)

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:44 AM

Nice shot. Maybe zap the green out of there. 

#8 Chris Schur

Chris Schur

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Arizona

Posted 19 October 2021 - 12:07 PM

Thats a beautiful galaxy image.  You can see there are plenty of HII regions in the arms, so It may be of interest to shoot some additional narrow band halpha and add it to the data to bring them up a bit.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics