•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Poor Quality of Planetary Images

Celestron Imaging Planet Software
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sandconp

sandconp

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:36 AM

I have noticed recently that I am not get the quality image of Jupiter and Saturn that I used to get.  I went back and compared my SER files and I noticed that the better quality image is (GBRG) and has a very low frame rate of 3 FPS.  The poorer quality image is (BGR) and I am getting 130 FPS.  This does not make any sense to to me because you would think I would be getting a better quality image which is at a higher frame rate?  The only other difference is I was running 3.2 vs 4.0 of Sharpcap Pro and the fact the SER file is showing up as (GBRG) vs (BGR).

Any ideas?

I am using a C8 and a C11 and a ZWO ASI178MC OSC planetary camera.

Edited by sandconp, 18 October 2021 - 08:44 AM.

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:43 AM

Same date of imaging ?

#3 sandconp

sandconp

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:52 AM

Same date of imaging ?

No about a year apart.

#4 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Aurora

• Loc: Las Cruces, NM 32° N, 107° W

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:57 AM

There are 4 pixels per group and two of them are green. The possible combinations are GBRG, GRBG, RGGB, and BGGR. The two greens are always diagonally opposite so you won't see GGRB or GBGR for example. Each of the possible combinations can be uniquely identified by using just the first 3 letters because you can deduce the 4th letter by what's missing (R, B, or the second G).

If you have BGR then that would be the same as BGRG which would have the two green pixels in the same column which is unlikely. I'm hoping you meant to write GBR which would be the same as GBRG.

If you had the rare 3 sigma good seeing when you took those 3 FPS videos then that would account for why they are better quality.

#5 David Boulanger

David Boulanger

Ranger 4

• Loc: Naples, Florida

Posted 18 October 2021 - 10:24 AM

the 178 is a RGGB camera.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Imaging, Planet, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics