•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Had to laugh at myself

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:25 AM

I set up my DS Lunt this morning and was watching the monitor as it slewed to the sun and there was the disk right in the center of the screen!  Then I tried to focus the disk and it was really dim, washed out, seemed to have a double limb and details were really sketchy!  All I could think of was what the heck is going on with my scope??  Then I just happened to look at where the image of the sun was on my Hinode Guider and it was way off!!  Guesses???

Yep, I had the second ghost image centered and not the actual disk!  Duh!!  So, any newbies with a double stack set up, if you think something might be wrong with your scope because your image is rotten, make sure you have the actual disk!!  lol.gif lol.gif

• EricCCD, philmor56, chemman and 6 others like this

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:27 AM

Guilty! I've had a few gut wrenching moments where I thought the etalon decontacted due to this. lol.gif

Very best,

• rigel123, Johninuk and Robinodavo like this

#3 philmor56

philmor56

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bolton, ON

Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:40 AM

I couldn't tune my single stack (before doubling) no matter what I did, I kept trying and trying, the pressure tuner was bottoming out and I was close, but....

I started to worry about the etalon, or my seals or ?

Well when I took my scope off the mount to have a look, I noticed a bright shiny scuff mark on the mounting plate where my tuner was "bottoming" out having mounted the tuner knob scope too close to the mount. foreheadslap.gif

"First day on the job" or what! lol.gif

Thanks for the chuckle Warren. waytogo.gif

Cheers

• rigel123 likes this

#4 EricCCD

EricCCD

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:55 PM

I don't recall if I've ever actually imaged that dang ghost image or not, but I do recall once wondering the same thing: the image was even in focus, just really dim at the eyepiece, and only after a few moments did I realize that I was looking at the ghost, LOL.

• rigel123 likes this

#5 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:38 PM

Always nice to know I’m not the only one!

#6 Napp

Napp

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:49 PM

I've been guilty of this more than once.  Well a lot more than once...  lol.gif

• rigel123 likes this

#7 BeltofOrion

BeltofOrion

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

Posted 18 October 2021 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the smile, Warren. lol.gif  I believe I might have done the same way back when I bought the SolarMax ... can't say for sure. But I must have, because now when I set up, practically the first thing I do is make sure to move those ghosts around so that I know I've actually got the right image centered.

By the way, just where is the sun? I'd really like to know. frown.gif

Edited by BeltofOrion, 18 October 2021 - 10:27 PM.

• rigel123 likes this

#8 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:13 PM

I'll fess up to attempting to focus on the ghost more than once, sometimes after a trip in the car to an outreach event where the DS knob got jiggled but more frequently when trying to find the disk initially.  

Clear Skies, BG °¿°

• rigel123 likes this

#9 EricCCD

EricCCD

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:37 PM

I presume the test here would be to turn the tilt tuning knob? I.e., if the image moves that means you're looking at the reflection, and if doesn't you know you're on the sun?

#10 Spikey131

Spikey131

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 October 2021 - 05:37 PM

I never have this problem.

I just forget to take the cap off of the Quark, and then wonder first, why I can’t see anything.  And, second, why is smoke coming out of my diagonal?

I have a collection of caps with burn holes in them lol.gif

• rigel123, BinoGuy and Robinodavo like this

#11 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2021 - 07:30 PM

I presume the test here would be to turn the tilt tuning knob? I.e., if the image moves that means you're looking at the reflection, and if doesn't you know you're on the sun?

Of course I never thought of that!!foreheadslap.gif

• Spikey131 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics