•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astroberry OS scheduling options

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:34 AM

The first time ever, last night I scheduled a session on the Astroberry I'm using with Pi4. 

Here is what happened: 
Nothing. 
lol.gif

I set the date and time  for today at 3am-4:30am on the  Flame nebula. 

Take 80x60seconds, dither every 3rd frame. 

Everything checked; unpark/slew/focus/start guiding. 

For finishing park the mount, warm the camera. 

The scheduling was still showing it's scheduled this morning, although it was 9am and nothing happened, no warning or error or anything. 

I was thinking , is the scheduler running 12hrs behind the time or what?  Why didn't even try to do anything? 

I was previously imaging with it last night around 10pm so everything is connected and working. 

This morning was showing everything connected and working, so somehow the scheduler didn't get triggered at all? 

Edited by unimatrix0, 18 October 2021 - 09:37 AM.

#2 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:48 AM

So here it is. 

I checked in Kstars that where Orion going to be at 3am-5am last night.

Also checked for tonight,   fast-forwarded the time to 3am to see where Orion will be.

Turned the time back to "now" and  did a schedule for tomorrow dawn at between 3am-5am.  It's going to be just before and after the Meridian towards South 

But it doesn't matter how I schedule it, I messed with time settings and other variables, the target receives a "0" for score and below the console says the following: 

2021-10-18T12:43:35 Warning: job 'NGC 2024' has startup time 19/10 03:25 resulting in a negative score, and will be marked invalid when processed.

I just don't get why?  It's up towards south, why is it getting a negative score and why is it going to be marked as invalid? 

Attached Thumbnails

• kstarssnip.JPG
  • kstarsnip2.JPG

Edited by unimatrix0, 18 October 2021 - 11:52 AM.

#3 nebulasaurus

nebulasaurus

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mostly Cloudy New Hampshire

Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:48 AM

Did you actually hit run on the schedule?  It doesn't so much start itself, but sit there waiting after you have started it

Hit post just as you replied to yourself.

Can you post the logs?

Edited by nebulasaurus, 18 October 2021 - 11:51 AM.

#4 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:00 PM

Did you actually hit run on the schedule?  It doesn't so much start itself, but sit there waiting after you have started it

Hit post just as you replied to yourself.

Can you post the logs?

No LOL, I didn't hit the "run on schedule " last night I thought that would execute the job immediately.  Ok, good to know, I never used this scheduler before. 

But the question still stands I just scheduled this for tonight (more correctly tomorrow dawn) and it still says the job will be invalid , so it won't be processed no matter what? 

Why is this getting a "negative score" ?  

Is it too low on the sky?  What is it? 

Ekos decided my gear isn't good enough? lol.gif

Edited by unimatrix0, 18 October 2021 - 12:03 PM.

#5 nebulasaurus

nebulasaurus

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mostly Cloudy New Hampshire

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:08 PM

No LOL, I didn't hit the "run on schedule " last night I thought that would execute the job immediately.  Ok, good to know, I never used this scheduler before. 

But the question still stands I just scheduled this for tonight (more correctly tomorrow dawn) and it still says the job will be invalid , so it won't be processed no matter what? 

Why is this getting a "negative score" ?  

Is it too low on the sky?  What is it? 

So there is a bit of a question in my mind as to what the score refers to.  This is what I think is going on.  That score I believe refers to the score as it is now, i.e. at about 13:00 EST.  If you had multiple jobs then Ekos can sort by score and then run the highest scoring job next.  I think it's output to tell you why that job would be at the bottom of the list, and how multiple jobs have been sorted right now.  If you had a job to image the crescent moon in daytime then it would say the moon job has a positive score and put it to the top of the list.

If you hit run, and the scheduler says something along the lines of waiting till o'dark o'clock, then all should be well, and the scheduler will wake up, connect the devices and start working. 

• unimatrix0 likes this

#6 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 12:23 PM

So there is a bit of a question in my mind as to what the score refers to.  This is what I think is going on.  That score I believe refers to the score as it is now, i.e. at about 13:00 EST.  If you had multiple jobs then Ekos can sort by score and then run the highest scoring job next.  I think it's output to tell you why that job would be at the bottom of the list, and how multiple jobs have been sorted right now.  If you had a job to image the crescent moon in daytime then it would say the moon job has a positive score and put it to the top of the list.

If you hit run, and the scheduler says something along the lines of waiting till o'dark o'clock, then all should be well, and the scheduler will wake up, connect the devices and start working. 

Ok so as I read, the scheduler updates the score as the time passes by, Ekos will update the score on the scheduled session.  I did just click on the run scheduler and it says the scheduler is in sleep mode for now but will update the job schedule periodically. 

Well, at least I know why my scheduler didn't process it last night. I didn't hit the "run schedule" button , I got lost among the 100 different options I needed to set. 

I only used Kstars/Ekos once before, and I just like the option to run it remotely (unlike the Windows -based imaging software), so my Pi4 isn't struggling with Kstars, but just there to connect the gear and transmit my exposures to my main desktop.   
I only remote desktop into to set up everything and have PHD2 run on the Pi4, I'm not so fond of the internal guider in Ekos. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 18 October 2021 - 12:24 PM.

#7 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 18 October 2021 - 03:19 PM

Quick "is it turned on" sort of question...  Is your Pi on an internet-accessible network?

You mentioned that you "set the clock", but remember that the Pi doesn't have a battery-backed RTC.  That clock setting only lasts until the next time it's powered off.  If there was a power cycle between setting the time and running the system, it likely had no idea what time it really was, which would have confused the scheduler.

The Pi normally gets its time from the Internet (via NTP services), and if it can't access those resources, it defaults to whatever time it was when it last shut down.  I added a small RTC module to my Pi, and that fixed the problem.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics