•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX65 batteries not staying put

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Me

Jim-Me

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 09:44 PM

Hey there. having issues with my LX65 just over a year in. The 8 C batteries no longer seat properly in the battery compartment. The spring, rather than pressing them together, presses them up and out where they meet. I have ordered a 12v cable that I can run off my cpap backup battery as an external power source (thanks to another thread I knew to get a 2.5mm tip, thanks for that!) so I will have a personal solution, but it irks me to no end that I am having this issue with a ~$1000 piece of equipment. Anyone else run into this and, if so, any solutions beyond external power?

#2 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 19 October 2021 - 08:31 AM

Have you considered disassembling the base and removing the battery drawer and simply replacing it with a Talentcell lithium battery? I have the LX65 too and I find the battery box to be rather annoying waste of space for a bunch of batteries.  

#3 Jim-Me

Jim-Me

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2021 - 09:28 AM

Have you considered disassembling the base and removing the battery drawer and simply replacing it with a Talentcell lithium battery? I have the LX65 too and I find the battery box to be rather annoying waste of space for a bunch of batteries.  

I have considered chucking the whole thing, LOL. But yeah the battery box seems very poorly designed.  My solution is basically an external version of what you're describing, because I happen to have one anyways (a Renogy) that just needs a $9 adapter to plug into the external power port.

But I am just annoyed that they didn't do better with this. 

I should say, however, that I have been otherwise thrilled with the thing.

#4 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Gemini

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 19 October 2021 - 02:33 PM

The LX65 is definitely a reasonable mount for the money.  

#5 michael8554

michael8554

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:20 AM

Elastic bands, Gaffer tape ?

#6 Jim-Me

Jim-Me

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:57 AM

Elastic bands, Gaffer tape ?

The battery compartment is stuck pretty deep in. Access is limited and I don't think I could get to it clearly enough to do that. Is there an easy way to pull the battery compartment out that I am unaware of?

#7 michael8554

michael8554

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:01 PM

The battery compartment is stuck pretty deep in. Access is limited and I don't think I could get to it clearly enough to do that. Is there an easy way to pull the battery compartment out that I am unaware of?

I've been looking at the wrong mount, ignore my suggestions  :-<

#8 Jim-Me

Jim-Me

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:23 PM

No worries, I appreciate the response smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics