•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM70 Untracked / Tracked performance

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aarshad81

aarshad81

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:40 AM

Hi there, was wondering what kind of performance you are getting from your CEM70. I have a AT115EDT 644/805mm focal length depending on reducer/flattner, noticing untracked I only tried till 60 seconds, i had some drift going to 120seconds

I will soon have some better data including tracked numbers

#2 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:59 AM

Do you know how accurate your polar alignment is, as that can contribute to drift in both axes?

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:20 PM

I presume you mean guided/unguided.

I fail to see why people don't want to guide.  The periodic error of your mount is about 8 arc seconds, peak to peak (and it will not be reduced with good polar alignment).  Even mediocre guiding will reduce that to below 1 arc second rms.

Why would you want to throw away that improvement?  You worry about _much_ smaller things.  You might as well have gotten a less expensive scope, the quality of the AT115EDT is being wasted.

If your skies are dark, 60 second subs are too short.

If you really insist on unguided, you need a better mount, and it needs to be on a fixed pier.  Something like a 10Micron in an observatory.  <smile>

Edited by bobzeq25, 19 October 2021 - 01:22 PM.

• Tony Bonanno and OldManSky like this

#4 Tony Bonanno

Tony Bonanno

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Fe, New Mexico

Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:50 PM

I have the same scope (AT 115 EDT) on my CEM70 set up for imaging.

I tried unguided with good polar alignment, just once for kicks.  With 30 sec subs, it was fine.  60 sec subs, I noticed a little distortion in stars, possibly could be better if I'm more careful with setup, balance, PA, etc. 

But generally I always use guiding.  With guiding enabled, no complaints at all.  Even with 5 min subs, stars are pretty good.  Typically, I just use 120 second subs.  Guiding is the way to go for sure.

Edited by Tony Bonanno, 19 October 2021 - 01:57 PM.

#5 aarshad81

aarshad81

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2021 - 02:46 PM

O for sure i am going the route of guiding, but was just wandering what to expect from a mount like this. Since i got the mount it started raining/cloudy for the  next week and half lol

I only had a short window to try some stuff out and just used it unguided. 

• Tony Bonanno likes this

#6 aarshad81

aarshad81

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2021 - 02:47 PM

I have the same scope (AT 115 EDT) on my CEM70 set up for imaging.

I tried unguided with good polar alignment, just once for kicks.  With 30 sec subs, it was fine.  60 sec subs, I noticed a little distortion in stars, possibly could be better if I'm more careful with setup, balance, PA, etc. 

But generally I always use guiding.  With guiding enabled, no complaints at all.  Even with 5 min subs, stars are pretty good.  Typically, I just use 120 second subs.  Guiding is the way to go for sure.

Thanks cool ! 

• Tony Bonanno likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics