•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M31 from Missouri

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tboss70

tboss70

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Missouri

Posted 19 October 2021 - 01:16 PM

Despite the nearly full bright moon I got out last night and managed to save 7, five minute exposures (satellites and planes)

I am still new to DSO processing so this has been shrunk down as it was processed a little too hard. Its still a little too light as well.

I'm also still trying to find out the best method for setup each night. Here, I set the mount up, polar align with scope and sync a few stars to make goto's more accurate. Once I land on my object, I ensure its centered then launch PHD2 to start guiding.

Takahashi FC-100DZ at F/5.3.

ASI 2600MC

35 minutes total exposure time.

Attached Thumbnails

• m31P4postjpeg.jpeg

• mikewayne3, DuncanM, zxx and 14 others like this

#2 mikewayne3

mikewayne3

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego CA

Posted 19 October 2021 - 02:40 PM

That's a respectable first time

Good job

waytogo.gif

Edited by mikewayne3, 19 October 2021 - 02:40 PM.

• tboss70 likes this

#3 tboss70

tboss70

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2021 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for all the likes and to be sure I didnt mislead anyone, this is not my first attempt. That said, I dont have much experience with it. Just dabbling here and there and its been a while since I did that. The processing was done via ASI Stacker and I took that TIF file and loaded it in Gimp. From there is was all curves.

#4 rblackadar

rblackadar

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 19 October 2021 - 03:19 PM

It's better than I've done, so far, on M31. (Its size is a poor match for my equipment and I'm not up to mosaics yet.)

Don't forget to load flats when you stack, looks like that might help.

• tboss70 likes this

#5 tboss70

tboss70

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2021 - 03:26 PM

Thank you. I did load flats, bias, and darks. That said, the flats were just a t-shirt flat with an ipad lighting things in front. So Im sure they could be better. I also only got 4 dark frames and I should have had around 15-20 from what i read. Ran out of time last night.

What is the best way to get good flats?

#6 CowTipton

CowTipton

Messenger

• Loc: NW Chicago Suburbs

Posted 19 October 2021 - 03:37 PM

I love it.

The bottom 20% or so looks a little funky but the rest is wonderful to look at.

I can't believe that's only 35 minutes.  Well done.

5 min exposures is no joke, your polar alignment must've been excellent.

• tboss70 likes this

#7 tboss70

tboss70

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2021 - 03:59 PM

Thank you Mike,

Yup 7, five minute files (lights). Where I live is around bortle 5 but the moon was bright last night. I have a farm about 30 minutes from where I live and its bortle 3 so I need to get out that way for a night.

For the polar alignment, well, I was fortunate enough to get on the list for an 1100GTO earlier this year. I used the RAPAS and it is so nice to use. I took their word that it is pre-aligned b/c I have not done anything to it other than pop it in, adjust, then remove it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics