•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Struggles with DBE on Cave Nebula

Astrophotography Beginner DSLR Imaging Software
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jhillphotos

Jhillphotos

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Birmingham, AL

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:16 PM

Hi y'all!

After gathering almost 10hrs on the cave nebula with my newly modified DSLR, I finally got around to integrating my subframes. As I've begun to process the image, I can't seem to find a DBE solution that I am pleased with. Ive linked images in Dropbox of my best attempt so far (STF left, DBE right), but despite my efforts, there is still a brightening effect on the dark nebulosity in the top left corner (indicated by the yellow highlight). I've tried ABE with various function degrees, the DBE symmetry feature, various different DBE configurations, and placing samples on a star aligned "APOD worthy" image of the cave to compare and optimize sample locations. 

Can any of you who are more experienced with DBE help me figure out a solution to this? I've also included my image (.xisf) and the DBE (.xpsm) icon in the Dropbox folder. However, I will ask that you don't distribute my image data, but feel free to process it all you want :) 

Thanks for your time and help in advance!

#2 OrionSword

OrionSword

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:12 AM

You might want to view the Adam Block series using the NormalizeScaleGradient series on Youtube.  Just watched some of it recently and will try processing my next round of subs with it before going to DBE.

There are three parts in the video series.

https://www.youtube....h?v=6kyGA91uoIA

• Jhillphotos likes this

#3 terry59

terry59

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:25 AM

Here is the result of one pass with ABE

Edit: No other processing, just the ABE

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by terry59, 20 October 2021 - 06:26 AM.

• Jhillphotos likes this

#4 Jhillphotos

Jhillphotos

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:18 AM

You might want to view the Adam Block series using the NormalizeScaleGradient series on Youtube.  Just watched some of it recently and will try processing my next round of subs with it before going to DBE.

There are three parts in the video series.

https://www.youtube....h?v=6kyGA91uoIA

I saw that he posted a series on this but have yet to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll certainly see if I can apply this to my data.

Here is the result of one pass with ABE

Edit: No other processing, just the ABE

Well done! May I ask what parameters you used? Also, I still notice a slight residual brightness on the dark nebulosity in the top left and right as well as some uncorrected vignetting in the bottom left. This is a great starting place, however! I'm likely too much of a perfectionist :p

#5 terry59

terry59

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:47 AM

I saw that he posted a series on this but have yet to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll certainly see if I can apply this to my data.

Well done! May I ask what parameters you used? Also, I still notice a slight residual brightness on the dark nebulosity in the top left and right as well as some uncorrected vignetting in the bottom left. This is a great starting place, however! I'm likely too much of a perfectionist tongue2.gif

Thanks Johnathan - Those would require additional passes to correct for sure. Here are the ABE parameters I used

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by terry59, 21 October 2021 - 07:47 AM.

• Jhillphotos likes this

#6 Jhillphotos

Jhillphotos

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Johnathan - Those would require additional passes to correct for sure. Here are the ABE parameters I used

Wonderful! Thank you waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, DSLR, Imaging, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics