•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ioptron CEM70G iguider focus frustration.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tocster

tocster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:18 PM

Last night I was attempting to setup iguider on my CEM70G - had no issues with getting the camera to be found (I use the ASCOM driver) but focusing the **** thing was an exercise is frustration - in the end I have it somewhat close, but not perfect, and it seemed to be done more out of blind luck than anything else. I wonder if my iGuider is not 100% working correctly or if there is a spring missing or something?

After I loosened a locking screw there is a silver screw that needs to be adjusted to achieve focus but it doesn't have any 'feel' to it, it's somewhat loose.   There doesn't seem to be a pattern of getting focus, it just magically seemed to get closer when I was playing with the screw, but then it went way out again.  After about another 30 minutes of futzing around I managed to get it to where it is now.

Anyone else have similar experiences, or is mine playing up?

#2 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:14 AM

Same experience with mine….Annoying but it works and after you get it close enough, just lock it tight and forget it. I may fuss with it some more if I get another suggestion from PHD2 ‘Wizard’ to improve focus.

Gary

#3 blazek

blazek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 20 October 2021 - 01:52 AM

I had the same experience. Managed eventually to focus. Locked and forgot. Not using it for any serious guiding.

#4 tocster

tocster

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 October 2021 - 02:31 AM

Well in the cold light of day I can see my problem and I am an idiot - when you loosen the silver knob you are clearly meant to adjust it back or forward and lock it down.  Not sure why I had it in my brain that the screw was some sort of focus adjustment knob bangbang.gif   Im sure it will still be frustrating as hell, but at least I know how it's supposed to work lol.gif

ps - funny how the word '5crew' (replace '5' with 's') is censored here - I would have thought that 'knob' is just as bad grin.gif

Edited by tocster, 20 October 2021 - 02:34 AM.

#5 blazek

blazek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:30 AM

Yes, indeed, will be still frustrating. In my case it was close to take a hammer smashpc.gif

#6 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:46 AM

Ioptron definitely needs to have a native English speaker go through and edit and improve all their manuals. I did, however, find that, in this case, the diagram and text in the iGuider appendix was clear enough….also, the horizontal slot at the thumbscrew allowed me to eventually grasp the adjustment idea. Not a good mechanism but do-able as mentioned above. 

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics