•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Shoddy Jupiter Animation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2021 - 11:23 PM

The seeing was mediocre at best, Jove had his boring side to the camera, but the worst part was the clouds. Autostakkert did it's best with Variable Transparency Recovery turned on but the results speak for themselves. Click for the full shoddy:

tn_gallery_346195_17566_157854.gif

Edited by Borodog, 20 October 2021 - 06:53 AM.

• lukasik, KpS, Stargazer3236 and 9 others like this

#2 Jetstarz99

Jetstarz99

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:48 AM

I would be very happy if I got 1 single frame that looked that good!

Cross my fingers I can get some 'shoddy' frames of my own.

I just got the ASI224 MC. Will try through my Celestron C-8

Cheers

• Borodog likes this

#3 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 20 October 2021 - 02:46 AM

That’s not bad at all!
I didn’t know AS!3 had a Variable Transparency Recover.
Paul
  • Borodog likes this

#4 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, USA

Posted 20 October 2021 - 03:04 AM

The only thing shoddy I see is the use of animated GIF for the full size, hosted in the gallery. The gallery supports 24-bit color APNGs up to 50MB@1600×1200. So you really have no excuse for using 8-bit color that was state-of-the-art in 1989.

I say, 24-bit APNG…or why bother shooting in color? And leave the GIFs to what they were made for!

new-spin.gif http://apngasm.sourceforge.net/ new-spin.gif

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 20 October 2021 - 07:14 AM.

• Borodog likes this

#5 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:22 PM

Thanks all.

BQ, I downloaded apngasm before and played around with it. If I recall correctly you can't set the frame rate as high as I want to get a smooth animation. I'll take another look, though.

#6 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 October 2021 - 04:04 AM

Borodog, once again you've taught me something. Both the animated GIF and APNG specs allow for a maximum framerate of 100 fps. However, per this post, most browsers are limited to displaying at 50 fps. If you don't specify a speed or exceed 50 fps, the browsers fall back to 10 fps.

Here is a 50 fps speed comparison for you:

GIF vs PNG

The speed is identical. But the onion artifact from gamut insufficiency is evident at 100% scale on the GIF, particularly on the western limb. Zooming in, there are scaly, step-functiony ridges throughout, particularly along the entire limb and horizontally within the EB. If I zoom out, they seem to disappear at 30% scale in the browser. So above 30% scale, the quality of my animation is GIF gamut-limited. Not seeing-limited. And most certainly not diffraction-limited.

But the PNG has no artifacts at 100%. Zooming in, at 170% I start to see an oniony artifact on the western limb that stays contained to about the same width the more I zoom in. (This very well may be a limit of the gamut of my LCD laptop screen vice the format.) However, there are no other artifacts across the image, allowing you to see the seeing- and/or diffraction-limited performance of the scope.

At full size, my Jupiter is comprised of ~150,000 points. So 256 colors is woefully inadequate.

Not sure what the deal is with APNGasm. The Mac version limits me to specifying the frame delay in whole 10ths of a second, so I can't go any faster than 10 fps. Animatrice, however, lets me specify any FPS within spec, so that's what I used to make the 50 fps comparison.

Thanks for the lesson…

BQ

EDIT: I just confirmed on my much newer Motorola Android screen: there is no edge artifact on the PNG. And measuring the rind steps in the GIF, each is about 4 pixels wide on the western limb. So GIF is a good option if I'm posting at 25% scale.

25%.gif

There's still a slight rind…you just can't see it at 100%.

Edited by BQ Octantis, 21 October 2021 - 06:32 AM.

• Kenny V. and Borodog like this

#7 Borodog

Borodog

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 11:58 AM

Good stuff BQ, but I'll be honest: I cannot tell the difference between your GIF and PNG. I loaded each into a separate tab and spent a couple of minutes clicking back and forth between them. I could see no noticeable difference between them unless I zoomed way in. Then you can obviously see the difference between the posterization/color banding in the 8 bit GIF vs. the 24 bit PNG. But that's just not how I like to view images.

Also, see my further comments in the OP in this thread.

Lastly, I also make my animations to share on social media, and the farcebook does not support APNGs; I am simply too lazy to make two versions of everything! Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

• dcaponeii likes this

#8 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 October 2021 - 04:13 PM

The difference is quite pronounced on my laptop screen, so the posterization is distracting to me. But you are correct, not all social media platforms support APNG. The GIF file sizes are also much smaller, so you can also fit longer animations in posts before hitting the 500 kB limit. So I haven't abandoned GIF altogether; I just reserve its use to small previews with a link to the APNG.

As for time, it was AP that taught me that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Besides, it was Foc that pointed out early on that my planetary image quality peaked on the third try. So even still, I make at least three versions of anything! But I'm probably just doing it wrong…

BQ

• dcaponeii and Borodog like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics