•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advice required on my pipe gem build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mrzuiko

Mrzuiko

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:33 AM

Hi all,

I'm making a pipe mount out of 1 1/2" pipe,it sitting on a 4" square wooden pillar about 4 feet high I will adjust for comfortable viewing height when I have made the OTA using the plans from Richard Berry's excellent book as I got a great deal (£25) on a 6" mirror set made by David Hinds a well respected mirror maker here in the UK and I have always wanted to make a telescope from scratch

The legs are 20" wide I will be fitting rubber feet, it's heavy weighing in at  42lb without the counter weights or OTA which should add another 18lbs!

I'm lapping the threads but as it stands for a smooth action I can feel when turning a slight rocking at the threads........is this normal and when the weight of the OTA is added will stop this or do I have to keep lapping the threads some more?

I know that some put plastic plumbing in the shafts to act as bearings but I only have basic hand tools and want to use the pipe as is.

Also I need to make the secondary holder any ideas for a simple mount? One idea I had was to mount it on a length of threaded m6 bar to be anchored top and bottom of the OTA  so it could be adjusted for height and be rigid  instead of a single pole design.

Clear skies and stay safe.

Ash.

Attached Thumbnails

• Pipe gem mount.jpg

Edited by Mrzuiko, 20 October 2021 - 12:35 AM.

• steve t likes this

#2 markb

markb

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:59 AM

I'm not sure if this will help you but I came across this on a similar post just today not sure why I landed on it but it is a simple yet great design.

See DavidG's Delmarva plastic friction collar based mount at (CN FORUM search- I'll post the link shortly)

"GEM Pipe Mount with Tracking Build'

• steve t likes this

#3 markb

markb

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 20 October 2021 - 01:01 AM

Great thread

https://www.cloudyni...tracking build

• steve t likes this

#4 rlw1138

rlw1138

Sputnik

• Loc: 88W 42N

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:16 AM

Google "Gary seronik curved spider" -- I've made two of them, and I actually like them better than any of the "bought" secondary holders I've had!

#5 steve t

steve t

Apollo

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:41 AM

Hi all,

I'm making a pipe mount out of 1 1/2" pipe,it sitting on a 4" square wooden pillar about 4 feet high I will adjust for comfortable viewing height when I have made the OTA using the plans from Richard Berry's excellent book as I got a great deal (£25) on a 6" mirror set made by David Hinds a well respected mirror maker here in the UK and I have always wanted to make a telescope from scratch

The legs are 20" wide I will be fitting rubber feet, it's heavy weighing in at  42lb without the counter weights or OTA which should add another 18lbs!

I'm lapping the threads but as it stands for a smooth action I can feel when turning a slight rocking at the threads........is this normal and when the weight of the OTA is added will stop this or do I have to keep lapping the threads some more?

I know that some put plastic plumbing in the shafts to act as bearings but I only have basic hand tools and want to use the pipe as is.

Also I need to make the secondary holder any ideas for a simple mount? One idea I had was to mount it on a length of threaded m6 bar to be anchored top and bottom of the OTA  so it could be adjusted for height and be rigid  instead of a single pole design.

Clear skies and stay safe.

Ash.

Ash, 

Nice looking mount. 

I don't have much experience with turn-on thread-type mounts, but to take out slop and smooth the feel of my Babbett bearing pipe mount I've had good luck using a Teflon based product called "Super Lube." On our side of the pond it's available in our local hardware store.

I have also heard of some people using petroleum jelly, but, in my modest opinion,  the best would be Damping Grease, though it's hard to find and expensive.

Good luck on your project

Steve  

#6 Mrzuiko

Mrzuiko

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:49 PM

Google "Gary seronik curved spider" -- I've made two of them, and I actually like them better than any of the "bought" secondary holders I've had!

Thanks I'll have a look!

Ash.

#7 Mrzuiko

Mrzuiko

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:52 PM

Ash, 

Nice looking mount. 

I don't have much experience with turn-on thread-type mounts, but to take out slop and smooth the feel of my Babbett bearing pipe mount I've had good luck using a Teflon based product called "Super Lube." On our side of the pond it's available in our local hardware store.

I have also heard of some people using petroleum jelly, but, in my modest opinion,  the best would be Damping Grease, though it's hard to find and expensive.

Good luck on your project

Steve  

Hi Steve,

I think that with the weight of the OTA pushing down on the flange it might be ok...if not I'll try some grease etc.

I'll post more pictures as I carry on with the build.

Ash.

• steve t likes this

#8 Mrzuiko

Mrzuiko

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 12:52 PM

Thanks all for the advice.

Ash.

• steve t likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics