•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can we talk narrow band?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 20 October 2021 - 01:22 AM

I and perhaps others would enjoy reading about your approach to NB imaging and processing. 

How much data do you typically like to gather for NB?

Do you have some favorite processing techniques?  

Have any filters made a real difference for you?

#2 ChiTownXring

ChiTownXring

Viking 1

• Loc: Sugar Grove, IL

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:58 AM

1. 5 hours per filter minimum for me

2. Use color masks and curves adjustments, convolution then Ha stack masked and added to the image via LRGB Combination

3. Started with the ZWO SHO filter set and they preformed well but saw a slight improvement going to Astronomiks set.

#3 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:59 AM

How much data do you typically like to gather for NB?

As much as I can, or until I'm sick of targeting the same area of the sky...

Do you have some favorite processing techniques?

For HOO images, once I've gotten to a non-linear state and am working curves, a trick I use is to invert the image and run a subtle SCNR on blue, then invert back. Assuming you use PI, try it and see what it does :)

Have any filters made a real difference for you?

I am exceptionally happy with my Chroma 3nm filters. I had previously owned Antlia 3nm filters, which I felt punched above their class. My only issue with them was a lack of QC. The LRGB filters I received had some issue with the silicon ring being out of place - causing it to intrude in the light path. The SHO filters did not suffer that issue.

• Ballyhoo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics