•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wide Angle Astrophotography

Beginner Astrophotography Equipment Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_pablo

ryan_pablo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:04 AM

Hi all. Newbie here and I looking to building my first deep sky set up. I want to start out with a wide angle refractor telescope (preferably a triplet refractor). My goals are to capture the California Nebula, Heart and Soul Nebula, Andromeda Galaxy, Veil Nebula, and more. I am leaning towards the Radian Raptor 61 or the William Optic 71GT. I like how they both come with a flattener and are around the same price. I am favoring the 71GT but I am curious if that might be too much of a focal length to capture my desired objects. Any suggestions? Thank you.

#2 Simcal

Simcal

Viking 1

• Loc: Caledon, Ont.

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:14 AM

Hi Ryan, play around with this imaging calculator here:  https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

You can enter telescope or pick from a list, enter imaging camera, and the target object and it will frame it up for you. waytogo.gif

• jcj380, bobzeq25 and ryan_pablo like this

#3 ryan_pablo

ryan_pablo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:23 AM

Hi Ryan, play around with this imaging calculator here:  https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

You can enter telescope or pick from a list, enter imaging camera, and the target object and it will frame it up for you. waytogo.gif

Thank you! I'll play around on this site to weigh my options. 

#4 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 20 October 2021 - 03:18 PM

It is the combo of camera (sensor size & pixel size) and scope (FL & quality image circle size).  Think FoV and image scale of the combo.  Most of the scopes do not do full-frame well, even if they quote 44mm image circles, as the stars get wanky or the vignetting gets noticeable.  I have recently found that vignetting that normally corrects well can give calibration problems with moon wash conditions. 

If you want to go full-frame camera size ($$$$), you will need the the high $$$$ scopes (A-P, Tak FSQ, Tak TOA, TEC, CFF, higher end SV SVX, TV) to cover the sensor well.  For most scopes it seems that APS-C is the good wide FoV sweet spot, with ZWO 2600 or QHY268 being the pick of the litter.

For very large targets (Cygnus Loop, Question Mark, Heart+Soul), my combo is a QHY268M with a Vixen FL55ss reduced to 237mm.  Previously, I used a Samyang 135mm f/2 lens with a 183mm, but the FL55ss/268 is much better.  For large targets, such as M31, I use an Esprit 100 reduced to 413mm with the QHY268.  M31 could also fit with a 300mm FL lens with the 183 camera.

The alternatives to the Vixen FL55ss would be WO RedCat 51 at 250mm FL or the Radian Raptor 61/Sharpstar 61 EDPH (basically the same) with their reducer at 275mm FL.  Either of these are lower priced than the FL55ss.  If you go the Raptor 61/Sharpstar 61 route, be aware that they have CA issues with their FR/FF.  The Vixen FL55ss has advantages of using fluorite and the flexibility of 2 flat FLs: 237mm at f/4.3 or 312mm at f/5.7, with its FF+FR package.  However, the Vixen FL55ss is less convenient when it comes to integrating into an M48 image train, requiring an extra adapter.

#5 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Aurora

Posted 20 October 2021 - 04:19 PM

The RASA options are also very good with medium sensor cameras and above. The RASA 11" requires quite a decent mount but is more forgiving with backfocus and camera choice.

Edited by pyrasanth, 20 October 2021 - 04:20 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Astrophotography, Equipment, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics