•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"Crappy" setup when beginning AP

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dren

Dren

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:19 PM

A recent post reminded me of the time when I started AP, about 2 years ago I think.  I had Travelscope 70, Canon 450D (controlled using intervalometer), and Star Adventurer mounted on a step ladder.  My wife often looked at me lugging the step ladder to the backyard and just shook her head.  She probably thought I was crazy, which I'm guessing didn't change as I got more into AP.  

Sometimes we like to show off the great equipment we use, but I wanted to go in the opposite direction and see who had the "crappiest" setup when starting AP.  Who can beat my setup?  Would be great if you had pictures to share, but story works too.  

Setup.JPG

• dswtan, NikhilJoshi, Simon B and 9 others like this

#2 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:26 PM

I started AP in the late 60's......you're totally spoiled ........

• dswtan, Matthew Paul, AlwaysHungry and 1 other like this

#3 Dren

Dren

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:30 PM

I started AP in the late 60's......you're totally spoiled ........

Ha! Maybe I should have put a time limit on the question, or ask for people's first digital setup. 

#4 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:48 PM

lol.gif Sorry, can't top it.. But I like it!

Could have at least sprung for the Werner mount and not the Husky though.grin.gif

But hey, it does have a 250lb. capacity right?

Edited by spacemunkee, 20 October 2021 - 07:49 PM.

• Dren, mariemarie, Ibuprofen200mg and 1 other like this

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:52 PM

A recent post reminded me of the time when I started AP, about 2 years ago I think.  I had Travelscope 70, Canon 450D (controlled using intervalometer), and Star Adventurer mounted on a step ladder.  My wife often looked at me lugging the step ladder to the backyard and just shook her head.  She probably thought I was crazy, which I'm guessing didn't change as I got more into AP.  

Sometimes we like to show off the great equipment we use, but I wanted to go in the opposite direction and see who had the "crappiest" setup when starting AP.  Who can beat my setup?  Would be great if you had pictures to share, but story works too.  

attachicon.gifSetup.JPG

I don't think it's crappy at all.

A C8 Evolution on a one armed alt az mount.  Now, that's crappy for starting out in AP.  <smile>

• Dren likes this

#6 Medic002

Medic002

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina Bortle Class 4

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:01 PM

You should have mounted that on the corner roof of your house like a satellite dish haha. Now that would have been funny.

• Dren likes this

#7 DivisionByZero

DivisionByZero

Viking 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:10 PM

It's not as bad as a step ladder, but the guide scope is plumbing fittings and a surplus achromat, for instance.
get.jpg?insecure
  • Dren, Ibuprofen200mg, EPinNC and 1 other like this

#8 terrypaula

terrypaula

Viking 1

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:21 PM

The ladder you used is still a lot better then an LXD55 tripod.

• 17.5Dob likes this

#9 RandomJoe

RandomJoe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:24 PM

At what point do you consider you've "started AP"? tongue2.gif

My "crappiest" would have been just my Canon DSLR on a regular tripod.  Wide lenses were bad enough, but I did actually do Andromeda with a 250mm telephoto lens on the tripod!  Very short subs, with Andromeda visibly moving across the frame so I had to keep adjusting the camera - so very easy to lose the target completely.

The stack of those frames didn't turn out too well... lol.gif

Fortunately at that point I had already ordered my first mount and scope, just had to wait for them to show up!

• Dren likes this

#10 Dren

Dren

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:25 PM

lol.gif Sorry, can't top it.. But I like it!

Could have at least sprung for the Werner mount and not the Husky though.grin.gif

But hey, it does have a 250lb. capacity right?

Werner is too high class for me laugh.gif   But you're right, now that I think about it, this setup totally beats my current EQ6R in terms of weight capacity!

A C8 Evolution on a one armed alt az mount.  Now, that's crappy for starting out in AP.  <smile>

That's true, at least I had an eq mount.  Although I am amazed at what people can do with alt az mount nowadays.

You should have mounted that on the corner roof of your house like a satellite dish haha. Now that would have been funny.

You gest, but I think this is a brilliant idea!  One of the downfalls of using a ladder was that I could only position it in small areas with concrete pavement, resulting in very narrow views of the sky from my backyard.  If I had seen your post, I would have totally tried to mount it to my roof.  Perhaps it's a good thing I'm not as creative.  

It's not as bad as a step ladder, but the guide scope is plumbing fittings and a surplus achromat, for instance.
get.jpg?insecure

Now I love this.  

The ladder you used is still a lot better then an LXD55 tripod.

I have to admit, the ladder was pretty great at keeping the SA very stable.  

At what point do you consider you've "started AP"? tongue2.gif

My "crappiest" would have been just my Canon DSLR on a regular tripod.  Wide lenses were bad enough, but I did actually do Andromeda with a 250mm telephoto lens on the tripod!  Very short subs, with Andromeda visibly moving across the frame so I had to keep adjusting the camera - so very easy to lose the target completely.

The stack of those frames didn't turn out too well... lol.gif

Fortunately at that point I had already ordered my first mount and scope, just had to wait for them to show up!

Your post (along with Dave's post) reveals that my original post wasn't really well thought out. I was thinking along the lines of capturing a number of targets and processing, rather than just experiment with a target or two, but those are still taking pictures of the night sky/objects.  

Now that I think back, my first "AP" photo was captured using a sony mirrorless with fix lens (I think around 30mm), pointed towards Andromeda using a tripod.  Can't remember the capture settings, but like you it was a lot of short subs.  Stacked it using DSS and processed using GIMP.  I can't imagine capturing Andromeda with 250mm on a tripod.  That's amazing.  

I still like to think of my step-ladder solution as my first proper AP setup though.  wink.gif

#11 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:31 AM

Funny or not with the ladder, you got a stable mount there, as long as you find a level ground to place it. 

The tripods sold for nearly every telescope that only sold with tripods are terrible.

If the image shakes if just slowly put my hand on, barely touching the scope or the mount, I don't want it. 

FYI, I'm looking at tripods that are used by land surveillance guys . Believe it or not, they are very good and sturdy and they aren't getting ripped off by companies who usually aim to rip off astronomy guys, because it's not the same companies who make them. 

It's amazing when companies do predatory pricing on certain hobbies and get away with it, selling a piece of aluminum for $110  (dove tail bars/ losmandy plates etc) , while the same piece of aluminum being part of another tool not related to astronomy/astrophotography would go for $20. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 21 October 2021 - 09:36 AM.

• Leia likes this

#12 colinrm

colinrm

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Akron, Ohio

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:03 AM

I started out with a cheap dob, but quickly started trying to image with it since I couldn't really see anything from my backyard.  I was so proud of this equatorial platform that I designed and built!  I had to remember all of those trigonometry identities that I had long forgot since college.

0823191853_HDR-1.jpg

It wasn't great but it let me get long enough exposures to start seeing some galaxies.

sunflower.jpg

Needless to say, I fell down the rabbit hole after I realized what a camera could do on a telescope.

• Dren, mariemarie, EPinNC and 1 other like this

#13 Leia

Leia

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 October 2021 - 02:16 PM

Point and Shoot Optico W30 Pentax in Night mode. 4 sec exposures and darks, and flats taken at something other than 4 sec (and 1/4 sec bias (not a typo)). Of both cameras I've used ( Coolpix S8100 is the other), this one did poorly at lunar, but I got my first and only DSO images that I took all by myself.

#14 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:52 PM

A C8 Evolution on a one armed alt az mount. Now, that's crappy for starting out in AP. <smile>

Hey!

You just described my first setup to a T - except it was only a 6". But at least I had 2 focal reducers stacked. I look back at some of those pics and just laugh. But hey, we all have to start somewhere, right?

#15 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:17 PM

My first rig just almost a year ago..

No flattener, but I enjoyed it anyway

Still imaging with that mount, even right now as I speak it's in equatorial mode and I'm testing a telescope and live stacking .. 

Note the handwarmer packs wrapped around the telescope tube to keep the dew off and I was using my phone with Syncscan app which was a  hardcore learning experience because I had no clue where any stars were. 

IMGP0320.jpg
IMG-0162.jpg

Edited by unimatrix0, 21 October 2021 - 09:19 PM.

• EPinNC likes this

#16 EPinNC

EPinNC

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Posted 22 October 2021 - 08:58 AM

Orion Apex 102mm Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope with Nikon D7000 camera

I already had the camera and tripod, which were actually fairly useful for AP.  Then I got the telescope and tried my luck:

The longest exposure I could do was generally around 1/5 second.  Reposition everything after every frame.  It was as painful as it sounds.

An EQ mount came later because money.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics