•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSS output file format (fits vs tiff)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bjahns

bjahns

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Milwaukee, WI

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:41 PM

I'm using DSS to stack and was just curious if there is a benefit to using one file output format over the other. I'll be processing in PixInsight afterwards. (Yes, I know PI can also stack, though I don't specifically know how to do it yet, and I know DSS fairly well)

Thanks!

#2 bjahns

bjahns

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:41 PM

The files I'm stacking are from an ASI1600MM, so they're .fits to begin with.

#3 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:45 PM

The only nit is that you should set the internal format to FITS, not TIFF, regardless of the input or output formats.  There's an obscure bug in the code having to do with saturated (max value) stars where using TIFF internally can cause a "hole" in the output (zero value pixels).  The choice is on the Intermediate stuff tab when setting up the stacking.

Edited by TelescopeGreg, 20 October 2021 - 10:46 PM.

#4 bjahns

bjahns

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 01:43 AM

Yea, that was the setting I was looking at. Sounds like a good thing I switched it to to FITS then! Thanks for the info!

#5 Maceemiller

Maceemiller

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 October 2021 - 07:22 AM

Hi.

Slightly off topic but I used to use DSS yet I tried a stack with the same data in Siril (free program) and found it to be a much nicer image to work with.

I've also stacked with pixinsight yet still found Sirils outputto be better. This of course could just be my data but maybe another avenue to explore?

As for your original question I would say TIFF

#6 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:30 AM

.Fits file include astrometric data for astrometric color calibration. Also includes your temperature and day and hour, basically all that info in your fits header.  If you want to know when and how  you took your image, it's all in there. Any astrophot related program that can load .fits files knows exactly what it's looking at especially the ones that plate solves as well.  Fits files can be re-used to frame back on the target with the right rotation and will give you clues about the your camera settings, down to what USB speed you were using. 
 People keep dismissing this point, even though it's important. 

Edited by unimatrix0, 21 October 2021 - 10:32 AM.

• bjahns likes this

#7 bjahns

bjahns

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 04:29 PM

.Fits file include astrometric data for astrometric color calibration. Also includes your temperature and day and hour, basically all that info in your fits header.  If you want to know when and how  you took your image, it's all in there. Any astrophot related program that can load .fits files knows exactly what it's looking at especially the ones that plate solves as well.  Fits files can be re-used to frame back on the target with the right rotation and will give you clues about the your camera settings, down to what USB speed you were using. 
 People keep dismissing this point, even though it's important. 

This is exactly what I was thinking/wondering. Thanks!

#8 bjahns

bjahns

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2021 - 04:34 PM

Hi.

Slightly off topic but I used to use DSS yet I tried a stack with the same data in Siril (free program) and found it to be a much nicer image to work with.

I've also stacked with pixinsight yet still found Sirils outputto be better. This of course could just be my data but maybe another avenue to explore?

As for your original question I would say TIFF

I've used Siril as well. It's great for color images (I have a great set of scripts for that). For color stuff, I've used it basically as a one stop shop for image calibration and color correction as well. Super nice to be able to do it in one spot and on a free app! With mono, I'm going to have to use something like PI to combine the channels anyway (and I'll eventually probably move to stacking in there as well), since I know DSS better for stacking, that's what I'm using for now. Interesting that you see noticeably different results though, maybe I'll have to do a compare some time!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics